Rezound vs. Bionic, initial thoughts...

ex0rcist

Reaction score
It's weird I'm having the same experiences as you guys... I see all these new phones coming out and I get the new phone fever and wanna go out and check em out ...but after going to the stores looking at them, playing with them , checkin the forums... reading reviews... I still love my bionic n I'm so happy that I spent the money on the bionic!! When the nexus comes out maybe that will change my feelings towards every other phone. But right now I think bionic is the best device on the market currently ...it's just so snappy and the screen doesn't bother me whatsoever I think the fact that I can read it and use it in broad daylight is way more of a win than the pentile screens downfalls are fail. Now I know a lot of people have suffered from a lot of data problems with the bionic but I've not have 1 and I'm on stock just rooted for tethering n whatnot... I have a friend or 2 that are running theoryrom and eclipse and yet another 1 running bio weapon x ... and they're just so smooth and makes me jealous but I'm so scared of loading a rom and a new radio and getting bigger data problems... I'm just gonna sit back wait for the ota. But man i love this phone I haven't even touched my computer since I've got it.. just my 2 cents. Cheers.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

faust0230

Reaction score
+1000000000
Bionic is beast for me. Galaxy will be only competition and im not completely sold in it. Ics sounds sweet and dev community will be hot on it but it really will have to blow my mind for me to even think about changing.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's a good review. I agree on just about everything you said except on the screen... ...the Rezound seemed VERY slow compared to the Bionic... ...Sense launcher seemed to take up a lot of the screen real estate... ...the Razr is just WAY too thin!

Isn't it so funny how subjective the screen thing is? The Bionic is great in daylight and that's a huge plus. And I definitely agree after more usage - not sure what it is about the Rezound, b/c at times it flies, but it does seem to bog down or feel a bit laggier...especially menu animations, etc. Bionic is butter all the time. And Sense doesn't take advantage of that high resolution unfortunately. I agree on the Razr as well - plus no extended battery! (another thing I love about my Bionic - but obviously the Rezound has an ext. batt. too).

...the fact that I can read it and use it in broad daylight is way more of a win than the pentile screens downfalls are fail...

Yeah every screen has it's tradeoff right now - but that's a big plus. I take it for granted until I'm looking at my phone with my sunglasses or outside or whatever.

+1000000000
Bionic is beast for me. Galaxy will be only competition and im not completely sold in it. Ics sounds sweet and dev community will be hot on it but it really will have to blow my mind for me to even think about changing.

Plus we'll have ICS based ROMs on these phones real soon!

ex0rcist

Reaction score
Isn't it so funny how subjective the screen thing is? The Bionic is great in daylight and that's a huge plus. And I definitely agree after more usage - not sure what it is about the Rezound, b/c at times it flies, but it does seem to bog down or feel a bit laggier...especially menu animations, etc. Bionic is butter all the time. And Sense doesn't take advantage of that high resolution unfortunately. I agree on the Razr as well - plus no extended battery! (another thing I love about my Bionic - but obviously the Rezound has an ext. batt. too).

Yeah every screen has it's tradeoff right now - but that's a big plus. I take it for granted until I'm looking at my phone with my sunglasses or outside or whatever.

Plus we'll have ICS based ROMs on these phones real soon!

+1!

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Something interesting about the Rezound, or maybe "odd" is a better word...

There are no animation settings. In every single Android phone I've had (and I think that exists?) if you go to Settings>Display>Animations you can turn them on or off, and some phones have the option for "some" animations. This doesn't exist on the Rezound. You can download something like Spare Parts and enable them, but that's it.

Now, the reason that's odd is that the "lag" or stuttering I've been occasionally seeing on the Rezound is in just that area - the transition and menu animations. Home screen swiping seems fine. But menu popups, apps opening or changing windows, that's where it seems to either have the occasional hiccup, or it just flat out isn't smooth.

I remember when I had the Sensation 4G it had some UI issues that an OTA patch pretty much eliminated. I'm beginning to wonder if there's something similar going on here - especially since it's a newer version of Sense.

Just seems like a weird coincidence that a phone of these specs would have this, for lack of a better term, lag occasionally, and at the same also have the ability to enable animations basically removed.

Sounds a little conspiracy theory-ish, I know, but weird in my mind...

kparks

Reaction score
That dude was clueless. Can move the SIM across all you want. Unless you were going from say the Bionic to the RAZR, since the RAZR uses a MicroSIM, so you'd have to active a new SIM each time.

Like every other in store rep.....

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

ex0rcist

Reaction score
Something interesting about the Rezound, or maybe "odd" is a better word...

There are no animation settings. In every single Android phone I've had (and I think that exists?) if you go to Settings>Display>Animations you can turn them on or off, and some phones have the option for "some" animations. This doesn't exist on the Rezound. You can download something like Spare Parts and enable them, but that's it.

Now, the reason that's odd is that the "lag" or stuttering I've been occasionally seeing on the Rezound is in just that area - the transition and menu animations. Home screen swiping seems fine. But menu popups, apps opening or changing windows, that's where it seems to either have the occasional hiccup, or it just flat out isn't smooth.

I remember when I had the Sensation 4G it had some UI issues that an OTA patch pretty much eliminated. I'm beginning to wonder if there's something similar going on here - especially since it's a newer version of Sense.

Just seems like a weird coincidence that a phone of these specs would have this, for lack of a better term, lag occasionally, and at the same also have the ability to enable animations basically removed.

Sounds a little conspiracy theory-ish, I know, but weird in my mind...

It is weird considering the beastly specs that your phone has... actually any dual core lte phone shouldnt be "laggy" whatsoever this is why the rezound and rzr r kinda disappointments and now they announce the nexus only having 16 gb a storage and the sd is not a removable??? I'm all good on that bs. Go bionic go

Last edited:

mikeinctown

Reaction score
I added almost every app I used on my OG to the new Rezound and I notice no laggy crap at all. It even grabbed every damn one of my FB contacts into my calendar which upsets me BC I have like 1500 friends from the games I used to play. The screen for me isn't good in sunlight because I have the screen turned down. It is nice of them to put a little screen widgit on one of the pages you scroll through. It does have a few downsides so far, but I am happy.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I added almost every app I used on my OG to the new Rezound and I notice no laggy crap at all. It even grabbed every damn one of my FB contacts into my calendar which upsets me BC I have like 1500 friends from the games I used to play. The screen for me isn't good in sunlight because I have the screen turned down. It is nice of them to put a little screen widgit on one of the pages you scroll through. It does have a few downsides so far, but I am happy.

It's by no means bad at all, but occasionally noticeable side by side with other recent "super" phones.

Also in the calendar settings you should be able to uncheck FB to get rid of all that - I Hate that too...

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
The guys on the Verge podcast think it's Sense.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

markwebb

Reaction score
So, I really need to know about the sunlight issue. Is Rezound harder to see in sunlight than Bionic or is it corrected if you turn up the brightness on the Rezound to maximum? I really would prefer a phone I can easily see in sunlight after struggling with the OG Droid.
I am really liking the Rezound so far and it is on top of my list.
Thanks!

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you turn brightness all the way up it should be pretty good. But generally speaking the Bionic will be better outdoors - its just inherent in the technology.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

nbucko

Reaction score
I wish the corp store near me had the Rezound. I had dismissed it because it was an HTC and I'd heard so many "lovely" things about HTC's other phones. Then I went to the store to see if I could mess with a RAZR and the Rezound just to say I gave it a chance. They had the RAZR but not the Rezound. The RAZR felt like a solid phone and I appreciated that. But it was just too wide. Out of the three (RAZR, Rezound and Nexus) its the widest.

I checked the phones side by side at Phone Size - Phone size comparison made easy! (which is a great visual aid) and have to say that the Rezound looks to be the right size. I'm just leary about buying an HTC.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
I was outside relief and had screen brightness all the Way up. maybe it was the background, but it didn't feel super bright to me. I'll have to pay more attention next time it's sunny. If anything I'll have to make my keyboard and background a brighter color.

Sent from my Rezound using DroidForums.

markwebb

Reaction score
I was outside relief and had screen brightness all the Way up. maybe it was the background, but it didn't feel super bright to me. I'll have to pay more attention next time it's sunny. If anything I'll have to make my keyboard and background a brighter color.

Sent from my Rezound using DroidForums.

Thanks, and yes, if you remember to take notice on a sunny day, it is most appreciated. Again, the Rezound has a gorgeous display but if I can't see it in daylight or a brightly lit surrounding, then it isn't meaningful to me. :( I struggled for almost 2 years with OG Droid in sunlight and would rather not experience it again. :)