Rezound Stuck in white "HTC" screen

solar

Reaction score
so, i'm running stock Gingerbread (rooted), with an unlocked bootloader and with Amon Ra Recovery flashed.

I got an OTA prompt about the ICS "prep" firmware update. This downloaded and appeared to install just fine. Then I got the actual ICS OTA update download prompt. The download failed the first time (probably network connectivity issues), so I re-ran the "check for update", it prompted me, I clicked ok, then it rebooted into recovery. I'm not sure why. I rebooted the phone and now it just sits at the initial "HTC white screen". the ICS update didn't even look like it had downloaded fully, so I can't imagine it was an install failure. I dunno. i'm a little confused at this point. Doing a factory reset from the stock recovery screen, takes me to the RA recovery, where I choose the factory reset/wipe all option. it finishes but nothing changes. I neglected to do a nand backup since i'm a little new to custom revoceries. I'm not sure where to go from here.

optimally, I'd like to get back to stock GB, rooted, so I can recover apps and sys settings via titanium backup and upgrade to ICS w/ OTA updates, but whatever will get me back up will work too. :)

thanks in advance......so sad without a working phone:frown:

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
using the recovery option with the stock recovery appears to do something as it gives me a picture and a status bar, then reboots. but no change otherwise.

patterc

Reaction score
Mine is stuck in there too. I don't know what to do.. tried to flash the default recovery and it failed

[edit] I had stock Gingerbread, unlocked. No root and AmonRa 3.15 recovery

Last edited:

patterc

Reaction score
Whenever I try to flash the default recovery i get this:

Code:
  sending 'recovery' (5598 KB)... OKAY [  1.204s]
            writing 'recovery'... INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 2.119s

Can anyone shed some light?

victorvu627

Reaction score
same exact problem with my friends rezound ive been stuck on this crap forever htc sucks ass my razr never gave me this problem. his phone is stuck on the white htc screen i tried factory reset nothing. tried flashing scotts stock img. nothing. ive been stuck for the past 6 hrs. need help!!!!!!!!!

patterc

Reaction score
Never mind! I guess the RUU didn't unzip correctly in within Hboot. Ran it again and it started up! YES! Messing around with ICS right now. Since my phone is already all deleted, is there anywhere out there for upgrading a Rezound to Jelly Bean?

jrredho

Reaction score

So, when I go to the article pointed to in the article that this pointer takes me to, I read the following:

Installation Instructions:

This will not work if you used the HTC Bootloader unlock tool. Your
device must be fully stock with a locked bootloader or you must have
S-Off (method).

Now I don't want to seem obtuse, but I'd like to know exactly what that paragraph means by "fully stock". Why? Because I'm rooted and I have replaced the stock recovery with the amon-ra recovery image. That ain't stock. And because the OTA download/install put me in eternal boot loop mode, even though I had re-locked my bootloader.

So my questions are:

(1) Do I need to flash the boot.img file from an older RUU (the one from my current stock GB ROM) to *really* get back to stock?

(2) If the answer to (1) is yes, can I do that with an "install-from-bootloader" update.zip file, or do I need to do the flash via my PC using fastboot?

Many thanks!

cheers,
john

peepmyswag

Reaction score
Are you rooted stock or do you have a custom rom installed? What I had to do (I was rooted with amon-ra recovery but had stock everything else) was re-lock my bootloader, manually install/flash the ics ruu, re-unlock the bootloader, flash amon-ra again, root again.

jrredho

Reaction score
Are you rooted stock or do you have a custom rom installed? What I had to do (I was rooted with amon-ra recovery but had stock everything else) was re-lock my bootloader, manually install/flash the ics ruu, re-unlock the bootloader, flash amon-ra again, root again.

Thanks so much for clearing that up! (That, btw, is not fully stock! :) )

Fwiw, I am set up almost exactly the same as you are: Stock ROM; unlocked; Amon-ra recovery; rooted. The only difference is I de-bloated using the adb shell disable thing. Of course, I can always get it back to stock without running the whole GB RUU, but I just want to know if that's necessary.

Thanks again.

cheers,
john

peepmyswag

Reaction score
jrredho said:
Thanks so much for clearing that up! (That, btw, is not fully stock! :) )

Fwiw, I am set up almost exactly the same as you are: Stock ROM; unlocked; Amon-ra recovery; rooted. The only difference is I de-bloated using the adb shell disable thing. Of course, I can always get it back to stock without running the whole GB RUU, but I just want to know if that's necessary.

Thanks again.

cheers,
john

I was De bloated through titanium backup but unfroze everything just prior to the update. But yeah no problem just helping out.. :)

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Yea, it totally worked for me too! Thanks for the link peepmyswag, it just what I needed to get my phone back in business :)