Rezound or Spectrun

JeffDenver

Reaction score
"Fat" relative to the LG.
I can understand how 3mm might be a deal breaker to some people. It isnt for me though. The additional storage and better camera are worth it for me.

If it were dramatically better resolution or something, and all other specs (camera, storage ect) were equal, it'd be a lot harder to choose. But if the only difference is that the display is IPS...thats just not enough to push me to LG's side. Its a great phone, its just not the best right now.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Engadget just did their Spectrum Review:

...The plasticky back also lends the handset a generally cheaper feel than its contemporaries.

... All in All, LG has really sapped the Optimus / Nitro of what little aesthetic charm it had, resulting in a dull, cheap-feeling slab of a phone. Sure it's quite reasonably priced at $199 (plus a two-year contract, natch), but for that kind of money you can also become the proud owner of the
Droid RAZR or HTC Rezound, both of which are far more arresting.

... LTE is no longer a huge novelty, though -- and if you've resigned yourself to spending $199 on a phone with a two-year contract, you could arguably do better with the Droid RAZR or HTC Rezound. Battery life continues to be a concern for LTE handsets of all stripes, and the Spectrum certainly doesn't do anything to change that. All of this adds up to a fairly uninspiring choice for Verizon customers, who currently have no shortage of quality handsets to choose from.

LG Spectrum review -- Engadget
Surprise surprise...basically the same thing I said. I wonder if they have any job openings at Engadget heh heh.

This is really a nice phone, and if I had it, I would probably be happy with it. It has all the bases covered reasonably well. But the Rezound is a better choice IMO.

bladerunn3r

Reaction score
Looks like the LG is hardier--in terms of build quality--though I haven't held the LG. Build quality (the shell) is my only complaint about the Rezound. Feels kind of cheap compared to Bionic, though not as cheap as the GNEX. I traded in my Bionic for the Rezound for a couple of reasons, with the biggest being the camera. In the video link posted by mysticalmelissa, the photo shot from the Rezound looks WAY better (IMHO) then the LG. Otherwise, I might be tempted to do another exchange lol ;)

Last edited:

t35rk

Reaction score
Engadget just did their Spectrum Review:

Surprise surprise...basically the same thing I said. I wonder if they have any job openings at Engadget heh heh.

Yeah but you left out the part about the LG feeling good in the hand. Engadget is probably going to want you to have some "hands on time" with a device before your review.

Their comments on the LG's camera were generally positive btw. I wasn't impressed with the pics you posted that were taken inside the Verizon store with the Rezound. Not at all.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Yeah but you left out the part about the LG feeling good in the hand.
Engadget specifically said it felt cheap as I recall:

LG has really sapped the Optimus / Nitro of what little aesthetic charm it had, resulting in a dull, cheap-feeling slab of a phone.
Thats not a ringing endorsement of quality.

Their comments on the LG's camera were generally positive btw.
They didnt say it was the best. They said it was good (and I agree btw...the camera is far from awful going by those images).

I wasn't impressed with the pics you posted that were taken inside the Verizon store with the Rezound. Not at all.
I havent seen any images from the Spectrum that look as good or better. If you have any, please post them.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Did you read some of the comments on that Engadget page? Apparently I'm not alone in my opinion.

t35rk

Reaction score
Engadget specifically said it felt cheap as I recall:

Thats not a ringing endorsement of quality.

They didnt say it was the best. They said it was good (and I agree btw...the camera is far from awful going by those images).

I havent seen any images from the Spectrum that look as good or better. If you have any, please post them.

They said "it felt good in the hand" on page 2. Seems like the reviewer couldn't make up his mind with that one.

Your in store pics looked just like the ones I took with the Rezound. The in store pics I took with the LG had truer colors and were much sharper. I saw them, but I don't have them.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
"Fat" relative to the LG. Any links to the metal frame and glass screen. I don't doubt it but a Google search didn't turn it up for me.

The Razr's thinnes doesn'twork imo due to the camera hump which makes for an unbalanced device. The LG isn't like that.

Anyway enough of my quibling. I don't even own the LG. Time will tell of its success or not.

So far the it doesn't seem to be much of one. At least not here in the forums. You can hear crickets in that section lol. The Rezound will have much more support.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I dont know...he ended with "if you've resigned yourself to spending $199 on a phone with a two-year contract, you could arguably do better with the Droid RAZR or HTC Rezound" followed by "All of this adds up to a fairly uninspiring choice for Verizon customers, who currently have no shortage of quality handsets to choose from"...thats is virtually the same thing I said. He didnt say it sucked, he just said there were better handsets available.

Last edited:

t35rk

Reaction score
Did you read some of the comments on that Engadget page? Apparently I'm not alone in my opinion.

It's a "pile on". LG is an easy target. Time will tell if the Spectrum can change some minds.

t35rk

Reaction score
I dont know...he ended with "if you've resigned yourself to spending $199 on a phone with a two-year contract, you could arguably do better with the Droid RAZR or HTC Rezound"...thats is virtually the same thing I said.

The reviewer did say "arguably" so that statement gets a buyer who is without bias, nowhere.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
It's a "pile on". LG is an easy target.
They are an easy target for a reason. They have worked hard to make a bad reputation for themselves. I've met many pissed off Revolution owners. Though they have built some good will with the lower end Optimus phones (I'm a fan of those...my brother has one).

Maybe the Spectrum will be their turning point. But they have something to prove right now.

cp24eva

Reaction score
You guys are funny. At the end of the day, it's whatever floats your boat. Reason why I went with the Rezound....it just floats my boat. The LG Spectrum could very well float some other peoples boats. If there was ever a definitive answer on any product being the best anywhere in the world, where would competition stand? Where would choice stand? Different folks different strokes. Someone please get the Spectrum so we can really hear all about it and I seriously hope people are happy with it. I mean really, who goes up to people in the middle of a mall and say "man, you got the (enter phone here)? That phone sucks" No, you pay attention to your own world and you make your own judgement off of your doings. Many different eyes, many different ears, many different hands, and many different minds will feel many different things about many different products. Ok, I think thats about it for now. But I know you guys just like to debate for debating's sake. lol.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
You guys are funny. At the end of the day, it's whatever floats your boat. Reason why I went with the Rezound....it just floats my boat. The LG Spectrum could very well float some other peoples boats.
If people are starting threads on here asking advice, they do not yet know what floats their boat. That is what they are on here for. To get information so they can determine what floats their boat.

And, IMO, informal pissing contest threads like this are a valuable resource. I never would have picked the Rezound if I was only relying on advertising or the braindead Verizon sales reps. I would have ended up with the Galaxy Nexus or (more likely) the Razr. Haters and Fanboys are always the best source of information in general. They are the nerds of the phone world.

If there was ever a definitive answer on any product being the best anywhere in the world, where would competition stand?
The competition doesn't have to have the best product. Just the best advertising or an appealing image.

Where would choice stand? Different folks different strokes. Someone please get the Spectrum so we can really hear all about it and I seriously hope people are happy with it.
Of course they might be happy with it. That doesnt mean they might not still wish they had gone with a competitor after the fact.

I was very happy with the Droid 1. But if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the Nexus One instead. The Droid was great, but the Nexus was better, and had I consulted phone nerds at the time, I would have known that.

For people choosing a new phone, this is a big deal. Because we are committing ourselves to a long contract and an expensive phone. So it makes sense we would want all the information available before making a decision.

cp24eva

Reaction score
If people are starting threads on here asking advice, they do not yet know what floats their boat. That is what they are on here for. To get information so they can determine what floats their boat.

And, IMO, informal pissing contest threads like this are a valuable resource. I never would have picked the Rezound if I was only relying on advertising or the braindead Verizon sales reps. I would have ended up with the Galaxy Nexus or (more likely) the Razr. Haters and Fanboys are always the best source of information in general. They are the nerds of the phone world.

The competition doesn't have to have the best product. Just the best advertising or an appealing image.

Of course they might be happy with it. That doesnt mean they might not still wish they had gone with a competitor after the fact.

I was very happy with the Droid 1. But if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the Nexus One instead. The Droid was great, but the Nexus was better, and had I consulted phone nerds at the time, I would have known that.

For people choosing a new phone, this is a big deal. Because we are committing ourselves to a long contract and an expensive phone. So it makes sense we would want all the information available before making a decision.

I understand all of that, but some of the points you guys are making are objective rather than factual. The facts are there, but things like picture quality can be objective. you and another person might not have the same perfect eyesight, depth perception, etc. Or the same hearing, or the same grip on a device. You could have gorilla hands while another person can have girly hands. Or a person could be used to a 30 inch screen at home and either want or not want a big screen. Things that are more relevant to threads like these are reliability. has the phone been know to crash alot? Does the phone have good reception? Does the phone voice quality meet your needs? How fast is the browser? Things like that.