Rezound or Spectrun

t35rk

Reaction score
I think you are missing one point. when you snap a pic from a camera it's not always going to another phone. It will sometimes go to an e-mail address where a person will look at the pic on their desktop. So with this being said, what if the quality on the screen of your phone looks nice, but then when gets enlarged a bit or zoomed in then looks crappy? Thats what happens sometimes. I could understand your arguement if you only looked at it on a 3.5 - 4.65 inch screen. There's that chance you will look at it on a 21 inch screen. I'm not saying one phone is better than the other. I'm just saying the comparison on the phone screen wouldn't be as accurate. Of course if we knew we were going to make prints we wouldn't depend on a camera phone for the job.

The point is that I view the great majority of pics, on the phone that I took it with. The LG spectrum gets kicked around due to LGs previous smart phone efforts. Look at the Spectrum without bias and you will be surprised.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Looking at upgrading to either Spectrum or Rezound, specs are very close for both, would opinions from forum.
Rezound.

There is really nothing the Spectrum does better, except that it has an IPS (instead of Super LCD) display. It has less storage than the Rezound, and a worse camera. The Rezound also comes with expensive earbuds.

The fact that the Spectrum is made by LG is not a good sign either.

t35rk

Reaction score
Rezound.

There is really nothing the Spectrum does better, except that it has an IPS (instead of Super LCD) display. It has less storage than the Rezound, and a worse camera. The Rezound also comes with expensive earbuds.

The fact that the Spectrum is made by LG is not a good sign either.

You're usually a fair poster JD, but to say "nothing better" isn't true. The LG has the bigger screen, yet is the lighter device. I find it holds in the hand much better (opinion). The LG has gorilla glass and better external buttons. The camera debate is subjective. Have you snapped a pic yet with the LG?

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
You're usually a fair poster JD, but to say "nothing better" isn't true. The LG is bigger, yet lighter and holds in the hand much better (opinion) than the Rezound.
Yeah, but those are preferences, not specs. IMO, bigger is not better. 4.3" is already a bit big IMO.

The LG has gorilla glass and better external buttons.
The buttons are also preference, though I agree Gorilla Glass is a bonus.

The camera debate is subjective. Have you snapped a pic yet with the LG?
I have seen reviewer shots taken with the camera. This reviewer doesnt seem that impressed:

At 8-megapixels, it’s abundantly ample for this kind of device, but as we all know, it’s not the size that necessarily counts. Unfortunately, we can’t come to terms with the poor quality of images produced by the LG Spectrum, even more when it doesn’t handle dynamic range that well and fails to deliver accurate colors in nearly all lighting conditions. Actually, it tends to cast a very prominent greenish hue! Besides that, its details indoors under artificial lighting and low lighting conditions are very hazy looking.

LG Spectrum Review - Camera, Multimedia and Software
Looking at the images, I cant disagree.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
It isnt that the Spectrum sucks...it is actually a great phone IMO (especially for LG). I just dont think it is better than the Rezound.

t35rk

Reaction score
Yeah, but those are preferences, not specs. IMO, bigger is not better. 4.3" is already a bit big IMO.

The buttons are also preference, though I agree Gorilla Glass is a bonus.

I have seen reviewer shots taken with the camera. This reviewer doesnt seem that impressed:

Looking at the images, I cant disagree.

You prefer a smaller screen that weighs more?

And you have yet to touch the phone that you keep talking about. It's been out for a bit now, what's the hold up?

JeffDenver

Reaction score
You prefer a smaller screen that weighs more?
Personally? Yeah. A smaller screen means easier to fit in my pocket. Its a phone, not a tablet. It needs to be easily portable.

I also dont prefer lighter phones myself. That was something I liked about the Droid 1...it had a heft to it that made it feel solid. I know most people prefer lighter, but IMO too light is a bad thing.

And you have yet to touch the phone that you keep talking about.
I'm not allowed an opinion unless I physically touch it? LOL

If a phone is lacking in a spec I think is important, touching it is not going to change my mind. But there is a Verizon store on the way home...I will stop by and handle the Spectrum myself so that my opinion will be officially valid. I will do the same to all the models in the store so that I can have opinions on those as well heh heh.

t35rk

Reaction score
Personally? Yeah. A smaller screen means easier to fit in my pocket. Its a phone, not a tablet. It needs to be easily portable.

I also dont prefer lighter phones myself. That was something I liked about the Droid 1...it had a heft to it that made it feel solid. I know most people prefer lighter, but IMO too light is a bad thing.

I'm not allowed an opinion unless I physically touch it? LOL

If a phone is lacking in a spec I think is important, touching it is not going to change my mind. But there is a Verizon store on the way home...I will stop by and handle the Spectrum myself so that my opinion will be officially valid. I will do the same to all the models in the store so that I can have opinions on those as well heh heh.

A smaller heavier kind of preference huh. Can't argue with that one. The Rezound Is fatter as well. I'm sure that's a plus. I kid. Anyway...have fun with the Spectrum. I'm looking forward to hearing how awful the UI is. Be sure to take a few side by side pics with the Rezound while you are there.

Last edited:

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I have never liked the reviews this guy from wirefly gives. They're very un-professional and half the time he does little to no research before hand
I tried the "off axis" screen view he did and mine shows exactly the same as his spectrum so i don't know how he managed that.

As far as the two photos he showed, the contrast and the detail in the rezound looked far superior to me. As for the "color tinge" he's talking about, well duhhh..look at the background he's shooting. This guy is obviously no photographer.

As far as the weight is concerned, one extra ounce on the rezound? Are you kidding me? He makes it sound like you're carrying around an extra car battery. That's plain silly.

As far as the Rezound is concerned, I like the weight, feel and heft of it (SPECIALLY with the larger battery installed).

I couldn't be more pleased with the Rezound. Period.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
A smaller heavier kind of preference huh.
Not too small. IMO 4" is the sweet spot. And not heavy for the sake of heavy, but heavy as in "well built"...the Droid 1 was heavy because it used real metal and glass, not plastic.

The Rezound Is fatter as well. I'm sure that's a plus.
It can be yeah. A lot of people have complained about the Razr being awkward to hold because it is so thin. Thinner and lighter are good for bragging rights but they are not always necessarily better IMO.

By contrast, more RAM or more pixels or a faster CPU are always better.

Anyway...have fun with the Spectrum. I'm looking forward to hearing how awful the UI is.
I am sure I will be the very first person on the planet to complain about LG's UI. LOL

Ironically, I dont hold their UI against them. I would be installing a custom launcher anyway. I dislike all Vendor UIs, including Sense. I am not using Sense right now...I am using GoLauncher. My preference is vanilla android. (I do think Sense is better than Motoblur or Touchwiz or whatever-the-hell-LG-is-using).

Be sure to take a few side by side pics with the Rezound while you are there.
LOL...how exactly would I do that if I am using the Rezound to take the picture?

I have never liked the reviews this guy from wirefly gives. They're very un-professional and half the time he does little to no research before hand. I would take this "Schmack Down" with a grain of salt.

This.

He has a tendency to use his own personal preferences as a basis of comparison. He gave points based on screen size for example...well, a lot of people don't want a huge screen. Larger screen does not = win necessarily. We've seen people on this very forum already complain about some phones being too big.

The LG's screen to me may seem slightly deeper in tones and blacks (emphasis on slightly) but it also has a slight contrast problem (at least on the models I viewed) and it's got a slight as I like to call it Oompah-Loompah effect on people and some objects. The Rezound's screen may not show up in direct sun-light as well as some others, but I feel that the screen has the best quality overall, especially noticeable when watching blu-ray files etc. .
I did not get a chance to look at it last night, but I fully expect the IPS display to look better than Super LCD.

I have never had an issue with the Rezound screen not showing up in bright sunlight. Maybe it is because I am coming from a Droid 1 and the standards have changed (the Droid 1 was hard to see in bright sunlight). But to me it shows up great. The Rezound does tint to yellow when viewed from some extreme angles (everything is still clear but the color changes a little).

Last edited:

cp24eva

Reaction score
Gotta love when people through the WEIGHT of a phone into the mix. Some folks act like they will get a muscle cramp or huge arms holding this thing up lol. It's a phone and there has been heavier. If weight is an issue, maybe you need to get a gym membership instead of an expensive phone. lol. I'm joking though. the weight is really passable.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I can understand that weight would be an issue for some people. My sister LOVED the Galaxy S1 she bought because it was so light compared to her Droid 1. For me, it is possible for a phone to be too light. For example, if I have it sitting on my desk and my earbud cord is knocking it around...that is too light IMO. It needs to be heavy enough to stay put if I place it on a table or dash.

t35rk

Reaction score
Not too small. IMO 4" is the sweet spot. And not heavy for the sake of heavy, but heavy as in "well built"...the Droid 1 was heavy because it used real metal and glass, not plastic.

It can be yeah. A lot of people have complained about the Razr being awkward to hold because it is so thin. Thinner and lighter are good for bragging rights but they are not always necessarily better IMO.

By contrast, more RAM or more pixels or a faster CPU are always better.

LOL...how exactly would I do that if I am using the Rezound to take the picture?

The Rezound has a smaller screen, yet is a heavier device. For what other purpose than for heavy sake? I could see if it was metal like the D1 or even the tbolt, but it's plastic like the LG with a smaller screen. And is it not fat for fatness sake? The batteries are similar. What is in that hump anyway, 12gigs of additional internal memory?

And as for the picture comparison, I simply meant to take a few similar in store pics with each device and compare how they look on their screen.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The Rezound has a smaller screen, yet is a heavier device. For what other purpose than for heavy sake?
Well, I doubt they wanted it to be heavy. It is heavy because of the design choices they made. I personally like the weight, but I am sure HTC (and most of their customers) would prefer less weight.

It does use metal (the frame around the front is metal) and real glass, and it is more durable than a lot of other Android phones. I have already dropped it once from waist height and it didnt even scratch.

I could see if it was metal like the D1 or even the tbolt, but it's plastic like the LG with a smaller screen. And is it not fat for fatness sake?
Its fat because of the design choices they made. It isnt fat on purpose I'm sure. But I'm not the only person who has said it it a bonus when it comes to feel...several reviewers have commented on that as well:

Despite the heft, we were surprised to find that it actually fits snugly in our hands, likely because most of the thickness is tapered towards the middle, giving it more of a convex build (its 4.3-inch screen size certainly doesn't hurt either). The soft touch plastic on the battery cover not only adds to the comfort level by making it more grippable, it also keeps the Rezound from picking up fingerprints easily.

HTC Rezound review -- Engadget
And "Fat" is relative...it is thinner and lighter than my Droid 1.

t35rk

Reaction score
Well, I doubt they wanted it to be heavy. It is heavy because of the design choices they made. I personally like the weight, but I am sure HTC (and most of their customers) would prefer less weight.

It does use metal (the frame around the front is metal) and real glass, and it is more durable than a lot of other Android phones. I have already dropped it once from waist height and it didnt even scratch.

Its fat because of the design choices they made. It isnt fat on purpose I'm sure. But I'm not the only person who has said it it a bonus when it comes to feel...several reviewers have commented on that as well:

And "Fat" is relative...it is thinner and lighter than my Droid 1.

"Fat" relative to the LG. Any links to the metal frame and glass screen. I don't doubt it but a Google search didn't turn it up for me.

The Razr's thinnes doesn'twork imo due to the camera hump which makes for an unbalanced device. The LG isn't like that.

Anyway enough of my quibling. I don't even own the LG. Time will tell of its success or not.