Rezound no Gorilla Glass? Scratches? Battery life

loki993

Reaction score
Those of you that have the Rezoud, I have read that it does not have gorilla glass. Cost cutting measure apparently, well if you didn't include crappy hundred dollar Beatz headphones you could have had it but that's a different story. Anyway I digress

What I really want to know is does the current glass they're using see as durable? How many of you are not using screen protectors and do you have any scratches or not?

Also how are you doing on battery life?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Those of you that have the Rezoud, I have read that it does not have gorilla glass. Cost cutting measure apparently, well if you didn't include crappy hundred dollar Beatz headphones you could have had it but that's a different story. Anyway I digress

What I really want to know is does the current glass they're using see as durable? How many of you are not using screen protectors and do you have any scratches or not?

The Rezound does not use Gorilla Glass. Gorilla Glass is just a brand name for scratch resistant glass. Not unlike Q-Tips are a brand name for Cotton Swabs or Kleenex are a brand name for facial tissues. The Rezound uses scratch resistant glass panels and it works very well.

Battery life is a different story. The SLCD and 4G/LTE radio will chew up your battery and spit out the electrons.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
Battery life is a different story. The SLCD and 4G/LTE radio will chew up your battery and spit out the electrons.

I guess I should qualify that battery life when compared to the other 4g phones like the Nexus and the Razr. Because right now for me its between the Razr and the Rezound. I do like the Rezound better, but Im a little concerned about the battery life as HTC dont have the best reputation in the regard. Right Not my D2 gets pretty terrible battery life on the ROM its running and its annoying.

I also feel that the Moto is probably the better built phone, but Im just not sure I like the way it feels in my hand. A little too thin, a little too light if you ask me.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess I should qualify that battery life when compared to the other 4g phones like the Nexus and the Razr. Because right now for me its between the Razr and the Rezound. I do like the Rezound better, but Im a little concerned about the battery life as HTC dont have the best reputation in the regard. Right Not my D2 gets pretty terrible battery life on the ROM its running and its annoying.

I also feel that the Moto is probably the better built phone, but Im just not sure I like the way it feels in my hand. A little too thin, a little too light if you ask me.

Here are my pluses for the Rezound:
1) no signal issues(unlike every samsung phone on the market)
2) best screen (chews on batteries but it's friggin beautiful)
3) Beats. (Gimmick or no, beats is here to stay and most people want it)
4) Free beats headphones
5) HTC unlock
6) Good dev support
7) MacPro88 and myself modding at DF. (Need I say more?)

JeffDenver

Reaction score

For the record, yes, IMO Gorilla Glass is better than the glass used on the Rezound.

That being said, you should understand that "Gorilla Glass" is just a brand name. All modern phones (at least the high end ones) use special glass that is stronger and more scratch resistant than normal glass. But even completely ordinary glass is very scratch resistant. I have taken SOS pads to my fish tanks to get calcium deposits off of them and they do not damage the glass. Generally only stuff like sand will scratch them. My droid 1 survived 2 years of heavy use...while the case is scratched up, the screen looks brand new.

Also keep in mind that the fact that the glass itself is scratch resistant does not mean that any film on it is resistant. And I dont know if the Rezound has that. My Droid 1 didnt.

I have the extended battery. It turns the phone into a brick, but I can go 24 hours between charges now if I have to. And that is with 4G on all the time and screen brightness at full.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I do like the Rezound better, but Im a little concerned about the battery life as HTC dont have the best reputation in the regard. Right Not my D2 gets pretty terrible battery life on the ROM its running and its annoying. I also feel that the Moto is probably the better built phone, but Im just not sure I like the way it feels in my hand. A little too thin, a little too light if you ask me.
Moto is better build quality IMO. That doesnt mean HTC is bad, it just means Moto is that GOOD. The Razr has a Kevlar back and Gorilla Glass front, and that doesnt suck.

I have not been disappointed at all with the build quality on the Rezound. I really like the rubberized back, and I like that the back is MUCH easier to take off than my Droid's was, yet still feels secure when it is on.

Even if the Razr gets better battery life, I would still be concerned that it is not removable. What happens if the battery goes bad? Where do you buy new ones? What if you want an extended or after market battery? This isnt the iPhone backed by Apple...it is Motorola. Do you trust them to provide answers to all these questions and will they be answers you like?

If I was going to get a Razr I would only consider the Maxx version myself.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
Moto is better build quality IMO. That doesnt mean HTC is bad, it just means Moto is that GOOD. The Razr has a Kevlar back and Gorilla Glass front, and that doesnt suck.

I have not been disappointed at all with the build quality on the Rezound. I really like the rubberized back, and I like that the back is MUCH easier to take off than my Droid's was, yet still feels secure when it is on.

Even if the Razr gets better battery life, I would still be concerned that it is not removable. What happens if the battery goes bad? Where do you buy new ones? What if you want an extended or after market battery? This isnt the iPhone backed by Apple...it is Motorola. Do you trust them to provide answers to all these questions and will they be answers you like?

If I was going to get a Razr I would only consider the Maxx version myself.

I do like the maxx, even better then the Razr, it just feels better in the hand. However I dont think its worth the hundred dollar premium theyre charging over the standard Razr.

t35rk

Reaction score

I have heard of no cracking screens on the Rezound. Razr owners aren't so lucky. The Rezound screen is more durable than the Razr.

HD 4G phones eat batteries. Sorry. ;)

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
I have heard of no cracking screens on the Rezound. Razr owners aren't so lucky. The Rezound screen is more durable than the Razr.

HD 4G phones eat batteries. Sorry. ;)

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

No big deal, I just dont want it ot be any worse then the others out there, at least not a ton worse. If I can get though a day without having to charge it Id be glad. That is not really possible right now with my D2

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
my first rezound cracked on its first fall. about 3 feet onto hardwood. no case cause i had the extended battery and there were no cases for it at the time.

this second rezound is just fine. i did email them about gorilla glass, they said it was fortified glass on there just not that brand. which i figured. i can say this phone has been treated the exact same as my droidx (which broke just out of the 1 year warranty, that is another story) and in only 2 months the screen has a few scratches on it while the droid x went a year and fared better. while i did not like my droidx, that thing did not scratch up.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
my first rezound cracked on its first fall. about 3 feet onto hardwood. no case cause i had the extended battery and there were no cases for it at the time.

this second rezound is just fine. i did email them about gorilla glass, they said it was fortified glass on there just not that brand. which i figured. i can say this phone has been treated the exact same as my droidx (which broke just out of the 1 year warranty, that is another story) and in only 2 months the screen has a few scratches on it while the droid x went a year and fared better. while i did not like my droidx, that thing did not scratch up.

I have no case on my D2 and have dropped it many times from varying heights. I haven't broke it yet.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
I have no case on my D2 and have dropped it many times from varying heights. I haven't broke it yet.

the droidx was tough. it fell many times with no case and was fine. just sucked in other ways. feels better built than the rezound. the new phones HTC just announced seem built tougher with better materials. only downer is no removable battery.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
the droidx was tough. it fell many times with no case and was fine. just sucked in other ways. feels better built than the rezound. the new phones HTC just announced seem built tougher with better materials. only downer is no removable battery.

Seems to be a trend, I wonder why. Anyway who knows when those phones will be out, especially on Verizon. Plus with the recent sale on the Rezound and Razr I going to be getting one of those.

tmar23

Reaction score
I just came from a droid x. I considered getting the g nex, razr maxx (reg razr was not an option since no removable batter) and the rezound. For ME, i found the rezound beat the others in most categories (screen-awesome, camera-which is awesome, beats-though not a big deal for me, and 4g connectivity. Based on MY research, i found that the razr maxx had the best battery life (unless you get an extended battery-which I did), and the g nex was more customizable. But, the rezound has ics now (leak), and it works just fine for me. Most every review i read on these phones mentioned how the rezound was the better phone, but they favored the gnex simply cuz it had ics and a huge dev community. While that is important to some, it wasn't enough to make me choose the g nex over the rezound. I have had it for a week, I have unlocked, rooted, installed recovery, tried a gb rom, and I am on my first ics rom which i love. Not trying to turn this into a phone comparison thread, just trying to help the OP with his decision based on my research. By the way, I really liked my droid x after a LOT of customizing.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
I just came from a droid x. I considered getting the g nex, razr maxx (reg razr was not an option since no removable batter) and the rezound. For ME, i found the rezound beat the others in most categories (screen-awesome, camera-which is awesome, beats-though not a big deal for me, and 4g connectivity. Based on MY research, i found that the razr maxx had the best battery life (unless you get an extended battery-which I did), and the g nex was more customizable. But, the rezound has ics now (leak), and it works just fine for me. Most every review i read on these phones mentioned how the rezound was the better phone, but they favored the gnex simply cuz it had ics and a huge dev community. While that is important to some, it wasn't enough to make me choose the g nex over the rezound. I have had it for a week, I have unlocked, rooted, installed recovery, tried a gb rom, and I am on my first ics rom which i love. Not trying to turn this into a phone comparison thread, just trying to help the OP with his decision based on my research. By the way, I really liked my droid x after a LOT of customizing.

The way I see it though with the unlocked bootlaoder the HTC should have nearly the same dev support as the Gnex. Devs love HTCs. Motos not so much.