Rezound hotspot hack?

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
Looking for input.. posted this over on XDA as well...Looking through the menus on the ##778 on the rezound I noticed what was used on the incredible to "hack" into the hotspot capabilities of it. Can we use this for the rezound? as follows..1. dial ##778 call.2. edit view - enter password 000000. go to security sub menuand here is where I'm a bit unsure and want to get some insight before trying it out....4. S.IP DUNN User nameon the incredible for this step you enter [email protected] the LTE phones it should be (as it's duplicated above as your ppp user [email protected] OR would we stull use [email protected] and have access to this on 3G only?Would this get us the bypass we need, or is this verification handled onboard with the SIM card? Just thinking out loud here guys, all input welcome!

Last edited:

drtnsnw

Reaction score
Just say at the checking password screen for me

From my Rockin Rezound

OP
R

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
rooted tether isn't an option on the Rezound yet, as a permanent method of rooting has not been established. You can use paid apps like PDAnet easy tether etc, and then use a program to broadcast that signal as wi-fi. It's kind of a pain though. that and my PDAnet is broken right now.. working with them to get it fixed =/

Also, the method I mentioned above does not work. I did eventually get brave and try both that I thought may work. The verification is on the SIM card. we would have to edit the SIP information directly on the SIM to break the stock hotspot to work for us. I wonder if the SQLite method from the bionic would have any merrit in doing so...

gbishop18

Reaction score
rooted tether isn't an option on the Rezound yet, as a permanent method of rooting has not been established. You can use paid apps like PDAnet easy tether etc, and then use a program to broadcast that signal as wi-fi. It's kind of a pain though. that and my PDAnet is broken right now.. working with them to get it fixed =/

Also, the method I mentioned above does not work. I did eventually get brave and try both that I thought may work. The verification is on the SIM card. we would have to edit the SIP information directly on the SIM to break the stock hotspot to work for us. I wonder if the SQLite method from the bionic would have any merrit in doing so...

Tried bionic method but couldn't find the equivalent sqlite db

drtnsnw

Reaction score
I ended up just buying easy teather pro for 5.00 when it was on sale. Works like a charm

Chris

hatchin

Reaction score
Is there an app that will allow you to tether via wifi instead of through the usb that anyone knows of?

OP
R

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
Is there an app that will allow you to tether via wifi instead of through the usb that anyone knows of?
nothing yet, that's why I'm trying to find a way to work through the stock hotspot... wish I could find the source code and verify WHERE and what it looks for to verify

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Thinking of dumping the Bionic for a Rezound before teh 9th rolls around. Does Infrastucture mode exist for WiFi tether?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thinking of dumping the Bionic for a Rezound before teh 9th rolls around. Does Infrastucture mode exist for WiFi tether?

I think someone reported that open garden works in infrastructure mode. I know that wifi tether works 100% in ad-hoc mode. But this is also something I'm interested in getting working as well so if I come up with something I'll report back here.

Kenyon1

Reaction score
So if you do this hotspot thing could verizon find out?
And if they did would they start charging a hotspot fee?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

B

budmonster

Whats the difference between infrastructure and ad-hoc? What are the benefits of each? Is there a list of working tether apps for the Rezound, paid or free?

Burnicus

Reaction score
Bluetooth

I've heard, but haven't had a chance to try yet (hopefully it arrives today!) that you can tether using an app like easy tether and then connect to your laptop via bluetooth. This presents some of the same annoyances that RacingTiger03 mentioned and is also only useful if you have a bluetooth module in your laptop, but could be a workaround.

There's also a free tether app now in alpha dev How to Use Your Android Phone as a Modem; No Rooting Required, Redux - How-To Geek

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just decompiled the 4G hotspot apps and they're all a mess. Tons of code phoning home to Verizon. It even requests a key from verizon to turn on. So unless someone better at Smali than I am gets at this and pulls all the "permission" crap out of it, it looks like our best bet is standard tether(wifi/usb/bluetooth)