Revo impressions

Cigar Dan

Reaction score
I picked up my Revo on Monday and so far, I really like it (I upgraded from an original Droid).

The base launcher is pretty good, but I didn't really care for the app drawer setup. It allows you to set up categories and arrange your apps within them. It sounds cool, but it is time consuming to arrange them, and they are by default in the order which you downloaded them. Frankly, I can find an app that I am looking for in they are all in alphabetical order without having to remember what "category" I assigned something to. If I want my apps organized like that, I'd prefer to do it in folders on one of my homescreens. Therefore, I went back to Launcher Pro Plus. A nice feature of LPP is that it will allow you to hide the pre-loaded bloatware apps that you have no interest in.

The main problem with not using the stock launcher is that all the LG widgets aren't available. I don't like that, and would like to find a workaround that would allow me to use those.

The built-in Netflix app is awesome. I've also loaded up HBO GO and it is pretty cool as well.

I am having an annoying problem with the Alarm clock. It launches fine as a standalone app (pressing the icon), but it absolutely will not launch front within a widget (I've tried both Fancy Widgets and Beautiful Widgets). It doesn't matter whether I am using the stock launcher or LPP. It always gives me the message "Sorry! The application Alarm/Clock (process com.lge.clock) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."
As I said, it isn't a huge deal, but it is very annoying.

Battery life is ok, but I'm not getting a full day out of a charge, so I will have to get a second battery. Not ideal, but I'm okay with that. I was already used to doing that with my Droid.

On the whole, I am very happy with the phone. My original intent was to wait for a dual-core LTE phone, but decided that it was more important to get in under the wire for unlimited 4G than having dual core.

devinhfox

Reaction score
Might as well put my thoughts as well.
Overall pretty nice.
Annoyances I have.
1.) Screen. Seems like contrast is too low. Brightness too high (not lcd gain). The effect is that the blacks are not very black, and darker textures appear muddled, kinda like the darks are being crushed on the low end. auto brightness flickers, turned it off.

2.) Resets. resets about 4 times per day, usually after installing an app or disconnecting usb. Also happens when the modem loses 4g and drops back to 3g. It's a very quick reset, screen turns black and lock screen appears, and widgets need to reload.

3.) Bing. Even after rooting and removing.bing, the search button wants to open the bing search. Ditto for long presses opening voice search. Wants to open bing, crashes process.acore.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

jak86

Reaction score
Mines going back to the store tomorrow so I can get a thunderbolt.

Originally I was goin to buy the tb but the salesman talked me into this one cause it has all the same specs but includes hdmi out and netflix.

The truth is it DOESNT have 768 mbs of ram and doesnt have the same amount of internal memory...unless I missunderstand my screen the revo only has 1.2 gb while the tb has 2.5 gb. My revo lags and freezes and the internet isnt all that great...scrolling threw pages gets distorted until you stop scrolling...netflix can be downloaded on any phone from my understanding as well.

I like the look and feel of it but I didnt pay for a new phone that acts like my original droid...I want something thats gonna do what it claims. We dont have 4g yet so idk how well it preforms but on 3g or wireless its slow. I played with the tb today after work and its a lot better phone all around...the few things I dont like about it I can change or root it but the phone itself is a lot better imo.

Revolutionizer

Reaction score
Mines going back to the store tomorrow so I can get a thunderbolt.

Originally I was goin to buy the tb but the salesman talked me into this one cause it has all the same specs but includes hdmi out and netflix.

The truth is it DOESNT have 768 mbs of ram and doesnt have the same amount of internal memory...unless I missunderstand my screen the revo only has 1.2 gb while the tb has 2.5 gb. My revo lags and freezes and the internet isnt all that great...scrolling threw pages gets distorted until you stop scrolling...netflix can be downloaded on any phone from my understanding as well.

I like the look and feel of it but I didnt pay for a new phone that acts like my original droid...I want something thats gonna do what it claims. We dont have 4g yet so idk how well it preforms but on 3g or wireless its slow. I played with the tb today after work and its a lot better phone all around...the few things I dont like about it I can change or root it but the phone itself is a lot better imo.

wellll..

1. the internal memory is split up, 1.2gb, and 12gb with a 16gb SD
2. You may have a dud, look around at everyone else's threads, NOONE is having the problems to the same extent that you are. Mine is so fast on 3g its crazy.
3. battery life over the TB is 70% better, unplugged at 8am. didn't charge till 3 am the next morning!
4. The TB may have a louder speaker, BUT its covered by the kickstand, it sounds muffled.
5. Netflix may be able to be downloaded on "most" phones but the rev is probably the fastest on 3G

Goodluck with you TB......

kxs783kms

Reaction score
My revo lags and freezes and the internet isnt all that great...scrolling threw pages gets distorted until you stop scrolling....

I've been waiting to hear someone say this. I tried the floor model they had in store and it did the same thing, with both phones on the same website. The salesman definitely noticed this as I did and told me it's like the refresh rate is to slow. (IDK, but it definitely annoyed me. Enough so to switch to the Droid Charge.) I loved everything about the phone, except that one nagging thing. I didn't know if an update would fix it, but I didn't want to take that chance and go past my 14 days. Plus, I didn't know LG's reputation on leaks and updates, so I decided to switch. Great phone other wise.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
My revo lags and freezes and the internet isnt all that great...scrolling threw pages gets distorted until you stop scrolling....

I've been waiting to hear someone say this. I tried the floor model they had in store and it did the same thing, with both phones on the same website. The salesman definitely noticed this as I did and told me it's like the refresh rate is to slow. (IDK, but it definitely annoyed me. Enough so to switch to the Droid Charge.) I loved everything about the phone, except that one nagging thing. I didn't know if an update would fix it, but I didn't want to take that chance and go past my 14 days. Plus, I didn't know LG's reputation on leaks and updates, so I decided to switch. Great phone other wise.

Do not use floor models to test performance...they are consistently in poor shape and perform nothing like the real phone. I've seen this repeatedly across multiple phones/models in my local VZW store. You'll get much more realistic results if you can get an employee let you look at his TB, or Rev., etc.

My wife just got an X2...we tried three floor models in two different VZW stores and they ran like crap. Tried the Costco employees X2 and it ran great. Bought one and her's runs great too, no issues.

Revolutionizer

Reaction score

Do not use floor models to test performance...they are consistently in poor shape and perform nothing like the real phone. I've seen this repeatedly across multiple phones/models in my local VZW store. You'll get much more realistic results if you can get an employee let you look at his TB, or Rev., etc.

My wife just got an X2...we tried three floor models in two different VZW stores and they ran like crap. Tried the Costco employees X2 and it ran great. Bought one and her's runs great too, no issues.

You are ABSOLUTELY right!!!! Im glad you said that, floor models SUCK :p

jak86

Reaction score
Got my tb last night and after puttin it threw its paces today I wish I wouldnt have let the salesman talk me into the revo to begin with. I had talked to 3 different salesman since I got my revo a week ago at 2 different stores and between the 3 they had only sold a few...none of them knew about it only having 512mb of ram and when I traded it in I had to have the saleman go to his supervisors supervisor in order to get the restocking fee waived because the website lies about how much ram it has.

As far as performance whether I had a dud or not it doesnt run near as well as the tb. Internet is faster, filled all 7 screens with widgets and have a live wallpaper running...same setup I had on the revo...tb doesnt have any bit of lag whereas the revo slowed way down.

I played with two different revos at two different stores, one before I bought mine and one after and both performed about the same as mine...if this was such a great phone I guess I dont understand why they arent flying off the shelves in my area but thats just my opinion.

I knew up front the tb has a week battery and I got an awesome deal on the 2750 mah extended battery...the thing people dont seem to realize is a smartphone is like a laptop...if your gonna run several apps and use it heavy its going to wear the battery down fast. So far from using it I should get at least a day or so on a charge easily which is plenty for me.

devinhfox

Reaction score
Got my tb last night and after puttin it threw its paces today I wish I wouldnt have let the salesman talk me into the revo to begin with. I had talked to 3 different salesman since I got my revo a week ago at 2 different stores and between the 3 they had only sold a few...none of them knew about it only having 512mb of ram and when I traded it in I had to have the saleman go to his supervisors supervisor in order to get the restocking fee waived because the website lies about how much ram it has.

As far as performance whether I had a dud or not it doesnt run near as well as the tb. Internet is faster, filled all 7 screens with widgets and have a live wallpaper running...same setup I had on the revo...tb doesnt have any bit of lag whereas the revo slowed way down.

I played with two different revos at two different stores, one before I bought mine and one after and both performed about the same as mine...if this was such a great phone I guess I dont understand why they arent flying off the shelves in my area but thats just my opinion.

I knew up front the tb has a week battery and I got an awesome deal on the 2750 mah extended battery...the thing people dont seem to realize is a smartphone is like a laptop...if your gonna run several apps and use it heavy its going to wear the battery down fast. So far from using it I should get at least a day or so on a charge easily which is plenty for me.

Default launcher?

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using Tapatalk

jak86

Reaction score

Default launcher?

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using Tapatalk

What do you mean? If your asking if I ran the default launcher on both phones the answer is yes

tylerh

Reaction score
i origionally got the floor model at my local vz store bc it's the only one they had, adn i really wanted it lol. it was the worst phone i've ever had. worse than my og droid..i had oc to 1250. i took it back and told them that it really sucks, but i want another revo and they gave me a brand new one when the shpment came in and it's by far my favorite phone. kinda slow on 3g, but 4g is fast as hell. im really happy now.