*REVIEW* Seidio CONVERT Extended Combo

mikezq8ss

Reaction score
Official Review - Seidio CONVERT Extended Combo for use with Extended Batteries (2600mAh & 3200mAh)
http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/bd4tmecx.htm

First off, the one thing I that want to say the most is how nice it is dealing with Seidio. Between seeing how their Customer Service handles people's questions and comments on Facebook and how they dealt with me, I have nothing but great things to say about them. I also want to point out that I'm definitely not getting paid at all to write any of this, I'm just someone that took a special interest in the protective cases that were coming out for the HTC Thunderbolt. As we all already know, the stock battery life for these phones is questionable at best. The easiest way to fix this is to buy an extended battery - the only problem was that not many companies were making protective cases for the Thunderbolt equipped with an extended battery. A few of us managed to craft something to get by until a real case was produced, but this left us with cases that had the battery cover exposed. Finally, Seidio showed that they were paying attention (unlike some other companies) and decided to produce something that we all actually needed.

-The CONVERT Extended Combo for use with Extended Batteries (2600mAh & 3200mAh)-
seidioonline.com
DSC_0089.jpg

When you open the box, you get the SURFACE Extended case, the CONVERT Add-On pieces, a screen protector, and the belt clip.
DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

-SURFACE Extended-
DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

The SURFACE Extended case by itself is something that finally adds some protection with minimal bulk. It's a one-piece case that snaps onto the backside of the phone. The case has an open top and bottom which allows easy access to the headphone jack and power button on top and the microphone opening on the bottom. The two sides of the case have appropriate openings for the volume rocker and the micro-USB port. The backside is where the design differs from other cases. The camera and flash are both useable with this case, but the factory kickstand is covered up. In place of the factory kickstand, Seidio built one into their case. It still opens on the same side as the factory HTC one, but the Seidio one snaps firmly into place both open and closed. I haven't had any noticeable change in the loudness of the speaker under the case, although I have heard a few people say they have noticed some loss in volume. It may depend on what you're listening to, but I held a conversation via speakerphone just fine while driving down the highway with my driverside window open... all hands free of course.

Adding to this case is the CONVERT portion of the system, both the shock absorbing silicone and the precision-fit skeleton that goes over it.
DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

This is what I've been waiting for. I prefer buying things that I know are going to be substantial. I don't want to spend my money on something that will fail to perform when you need it. With that in mind, The CONVERT Extended case for the HTC ThunderBolt passed the MIL-STD-810G Mil Spec Drop Test, which is a durability test based on military requirements. I didn't go out and throw my phone around on purpose, but I did accidentally send it flying across a parking lot when I got out of my SUV, and failed to grab my phone from my lap first. The case did not suffer one scratch or scrape and my screen was completely unharmed. Maybe it landed perfectly, maybe it's also because I managed to grab it before it stopped moving... I'm not sure. What I can tell you though, is that I wiped a dirt mark off of the silicone rubber portion and my phone still works perfectly fine and the case looks like it just came out of the box. I'm not saying that the same will happen for you, I'm just saying it absolutely kept my phone from getting scuffed up and possibly worse. The silicone rubber portion has protective flaps that cover the camera and flash, along with areas that cover the micro USB area and headphone jack. I don't think I'd test it with being waterproof or not, but I'm sure they'll keep dust and lint out of those areas. The fit and finish of this system is top notch. There's no noticeable play or looseness with any of the components. They all fit on the phone securely and add a nice feel to when you hold the phone in use. Because of the contours of the complete CONVERT system, when you hold it you get a lot of different natural ways to hold it and that has been important to me when texting in landscape mode and browsing the internet. I didn't apply the screen guard so I can't comment on that as I already had one on my screen that I was really happy with. If you don't already have a screen protector, then I'm sure it will only help to apply the one provided. I tried the belt clip for an evening and it worked pretty well. I'm not used to wearing a belt clip, so it kept getting caught on everything I walked by. Luckily, it has a locking mechanism you can push into place to keep the phone from inadvertently falling out. When the lock is engaged, you cannot release the phone from the clip as the top piece will not move. Unlocking it was as simple as pushing the lock in the opposite direction and the top then releases the phone. I stopped using the belt clip, not for any reason to do with the product, but because I'm used to throwing the phone in my pocket. That brings me to one more thing: bulk. This does add some s-i-z-e to this phone, but if you have an extended battery then you already know how much bigger your phone can be. I like the heavier and bulkier feeling honestly and With this CONVERT case it feels much less delicate and less prone to accidental breakage.

DSC_0096.jpg

*depth of protective lip around screen*
DSC_0099.jpg

*depth of protective lip & kickstand*

All in all, I highly recommend this case. The shipping on in-stock items is fast, the customer service is easily among the best I've ever dealt with, and the product is second to none. I have several of their other products including the wall charger and 3200mAh Extended Battery that comes with a new battery cover. I've had other cases made by them and not once have I ever had a problem with anything. Again, I highly recommend this case and Seidio. They are now my go-to company for my tech stuff. Thanks for reading this!

Last edited:
OP
M

mikezq8ss

Reaction score
*If there are any glaring errors in the above post, I apologize as I posted this review and linked everything using my Tbolt while in my hotel room. I had to go on the road for work and leave my laptop at home this time.
**Also, for more pictures - http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/MikeZQ8SS/Seidio Review/

If anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them if I can!

Last edited:

CC268

Reaction score
IS the case RUBBER that attracts everything like the otterbox cases do or is more of a silicone?

Casper3686

Reaction score
Great post! I have been thinking about ordering one. Thanks for the details!

Sent from my Thunderbolt

CC268

Reaction score
Looks like the case is rubber :/ thats a major fail to me, has to be silicone, rubber attracts every hair and ounce of dust on earth

OP
M

mikezq8ss

Reaction score
Great post! I have been thinking about ordering one. Thanks for the details!

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Thanks! It took a while to write up and post so that's nice to hear!

IS the case RUBBER that attracts everything like the otterbox cases do or is more of a silicone?

The innermost case, the SURFACE case, is made from their soft touch plastic (like the battery cover). The shock absorbing part that goes over the SURFACE case IS made from silicone. It's not terrible with picking up dust and lint though, since a majority of the silicone is covered up with the plastic skeleton.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

MUMBLES

Reaction score
Great review. I also have to say Seidio has come through again ,between service ,shipping and their products they are excellent .I dropped my Tbolt for the first time after the cord on my headphones got snaged, thanks to the new case (convert extended) not a scratch, not even the case .

☆☆ sent from Mumbles 4G T-BOLT. ● Tapatalk ☆☆

y0manda

Reaction score
I just received my otterbox. If i would of known that seido made a hard case with an extended battery I would of jumped on it. I wonder if amazon accepts returns

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just bought one and i love it. If you are a blue collar worker this is the case to get. I feel much better about taking my phone out my pocket at work. Before I was always worried about dropping it or having something dropped on it. With retail for these phone being 500+ if you work in a rough environment pay the 40 bucks and grab this thing.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My review:

Good: Solid, feels durable and like it can sustain blows and drops. Thick and comfortable. Covers all ports so can sustain spills IF the phone front is covered by the face plate/ belt clip. With out the faceplate/belt clip the top grill is exposed. If you work at a company where camera phones must be covered then this case provides that for you. Add thickness to the volume buttons, everytime i grab my tbolt i am accidentally silencing the phone because of hitting the volume down button.

Bad (sort of): It covers the speakers, now that is good protection wise because that mean the device is protected, the negative to that is listening to music or videos it take away from the volume a little bit. But then again if you work in an industrial or blue collar environment just get a decent boom box and run an audio cord from the phone to the boom box. Because if you getting this case you work in a rough environment which normally means noisy as well and the tbolt speakers even with out being covered will not provide enough volume to enjoy your music any way.... hence meaning you either got a good set of headphones or a decent boom box.

Bulky: too some its worth it for protection but if you work in a quiet office environment with nice carpet then you may not care for the added bulk for protection you may be just fine with a gel or thin hard case.

Heat concerns: I am concerned how this case will handle being in a hot environment and if it will be able to get enough airflow to keep the phone cool.

Final Verdict: Like I said in my above post, if you are a blue collar worker and you are in a rugged environment and you need some added protection then get this case. I think this is a must to go with the pick up, the hard hat, and safety goggles. I had a otterbox and saw some of the iphone and droid x otterboxes and I can say this case stacks up with the otterbox very well.

orangepeel

Reaction score
Do you still have to raise the belt clip up to latch the top? The one I had on my HTC you had to do this because the piece across the top was rubber and the clip would push the rubber out of place if you didn't have the clip raised.Other than that I really liked the case.

electric6

Reaction score
Just bought one and i love it. If you are a blue collar worker this is the case to get. I feel much better about taking my phone out my pocket at work. Before I was always worried about dropping it or having something dropped on it. With retail for these phone being 500+ if you work in a rough environment pay the 40 bucks and grab this thing.

OP great review. PC, i agree. I work in a sheet metal shop, and move pretty fast. Always running into stuff, and i needed a longer battery life with a good case. My seido extended convert has withstood some pretty intense abuse! To say I'm satisfied with it is an understatement :icon_ banana:.

I wear mine holstered, and it is perfect for what I do everyday.

On another note, the extended HTC battery does give some pretty impressive battery life.

stonecaster

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this case will fit the the 3500mah batteries on ebay?

This would be good to know. I would like to try one of them also. I am using the 3200 Seidio now and I love it. It's well worth the money.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk while drinking and driving.

jseah

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this case will fit the the 3500mah batteries on ebay?

This would be good to know. I would like to try one of them also. I am using the 3200 Seidio now and I love it. It's well worth the money.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk while drinking and driving.

It should. I just got the Hyperion 3500 battery and it is the same thickness as the HTC 2750 battery, which is double the thickness of the stock battery.