1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Review of Nightly 153

Discussion in 'Koush' started by Se7enLC, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

It's kind of hard to keep up with all the cool new features in CM6, so I thought I'd post a little review and some of my favorite features from the release the other day (#153). These aren't all new for this release (in fact, I don't think any of them are), but some are new since the stable release, and they are all not found in the stock rom.

Power Control in notifications dropdown: This is an exciting new feature, inspired by the Galaxy S . At the top of the notifications dropdown, you have room for up to 6 toggles. They can be any of the following:

Wifi
    Bluetooth
    GPS
    Sound:
    Toggle between sound, vibrate, and silent (and combinations)
    Brightness: You can pick which modes you want this toggle to switch between (Auto, Dim, 25%, 40%, 75%, 100%, Full)
    Sync
    Wifi AP:
    Doesn't do anything on Droid, unfortunately, as far as I can tell.
    Screen Timeout: Set the screen timeout
    Orientation
    Mobile Data
    2G/3G
    Lock Screen
    Airplane Mode
    Sleep
    LED Flashlight:
    Has two different brightness options, I didn't notice a difference on Droid

Here's a SS of how it looks with a white status bar. It looks like crap with a black status bar at the moment, but hopefully that will get addressed.

[​IMG]

Quiet Hours: A neat feature that lets you specify a start and end time where notifications don't make noise. You can also disable vibrations and dim the LED. Phone calls will still ring.

LED Notifications: You can set per-application LED color and blink-style settings. Nice for distinguishing between notifications from different apps if the apps don't have their own built-in LED color settings. You can also group applications into categories to apply the same settings to multiple applications.

Status Bar Options: In other roms, these kinds of tweaks required manual editing of framework files and were a pain. Now you can pick them from a menu!

• Battery percentage display on/off, text color selection
    • Clock display on/off, text color selection, AM/PM selection
    • Signal Strength display
    • Status bar color, text colors, notification dropdown colors, etc.
    Screen Timeout: You can set the screen timeout delay to be different than the screen lock delay. Meaning that you can make the screen power off in 30s but not lock for 5 minutes, but if you manually turn off the screen with the power button, it locks immediately. Very nice option.

Automatic Backlight: You can tweak more about the automatic backlight settings than anyone ever should need to.

ADWLauncher 1.2: The latest version of ADW is included with this nightly. This includes:

• Widget resizing
    • App Categories: you can create different categories of applications (utilities, games, etc) and turn apps on and off in the app tray when that category is selected. What's new for this release is that you can create a custom launcher to display a category directly without selecting it. So you make a category "Games" and a category "Default". You tag all your games to be in Games, and you tag everything else to be in Default (and untag all the applications you want to hide). You select Default to be the category displayed when you hit the app tray, and you make a custom shortcut to load the games list. Great for when somebody wants to borrow your phone to play games - you don't want them opening up "ROM Manager" by accident!
    Silent State: Add a state for complete silence to volume control. This makes the volume rocker behave like it did before 2.2. Awesome!

Advanced Call Settings: Lots of options in here. I like the vibrate on answer option.

Security Settings: You can turn off the display of the pattern lock to make it "ninja". You can display a custom message to let anybody picking up your phone know who it belongs to and how to return it without letting them unlock the screen.

WiFi Options: You can connect to Ad-Hoc networks, use the extra channels 11-14.

Apps2sdext: Is not in there, yet. It DOES WORK, though, if you're willing to jump through a few hoops to set it up.
  2. droidkevlar

droidkevlar New Member

I would say peep 154 as it fixes the camera zoom issue. Has everything listed as above. Maybe RC material I think.
  3. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Ahh. I didn't know there was a camera zoom issue - I was going to ask what it was, but then I decided to just open up the camera and see what happens when I try to zoom. That answers my question - it just doesn't zoom!
  4. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Still not fixing Voice Dialer issues, though.
  5. droidkevlar

droidkevlar New Member

What issue is this? I didnt have any issues voice dialing or texting when I tested it last night.
  6. furbearingmammal

I load the voice dialer, it crashes. I loaded the standby, the voicedialer.apk from RC-3 and it crashes.
  7. droidkevlar

droidkevlar New Member

Are you coming from a fresh install? I did fresh install of 154 and no issues on voicedialer for me.
  8. furbearingmammal

You mean wipe and wipe and wipe? No. I don't wipe between builds of CM 6. I should try to just reinstall the main ROM file, though. It's possible it glitched -- though wiping out the existing .apk and putting in one I know works didn't fix it either, so... We'll see.
  9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

No issues for me on voice search or voice dialer. Isn't that part of gapps? What version of gapps are you running?
  10. furbearingmammal

Nope, that's a system app, including in the ROM itself, much like ROM Manager (that I need to redo the uninstall). I remove it from every nightly update.zip I install, but I installed it once...

Now 153 is just randomly rebooting. As soon as I can download 154 I'm installing it.
  11. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

You didn't get bit by the /system/gapps.tar bug, did you?
  12. furbearingmammal

Nope. I didn't reflash the Google app pack because I didn't need to.
  13. furbearingmammal

And now I see I have to boot into recovery to mount the SD card for USB Mass Storage. Niiiice.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  14. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Really? Is that an option somewhere? I can still mount SD over USB mass-storage fine...
  15. foxdog

foxdog New Member

Don't forget about compcache % :p build 154 could be a RC imo
  16. furbearingmammal

154 fixed my voice dialer issue, but GODS ABOVE AND BELOW is that new voice/speed annoying. Also, my USB Mass Storage mode is back.

Se7enLC, SPRecovery lets you mount the SD card to a computer; it's a fallback safety feature in case you have a screwed up ROM install, no backups, and no card reader -- or you're just an idiot and forgot to load the update.zip file before you rebooted into recovery -- or want to flash both a kernel AND a ROM at the same time, or the ROM and the Google app pack... etc. Clockwork should have the same thing, but I haven't ever tried it.

It's saved my butt a few times and it saved it again. 153 did NOT like my phone. :D
  17. Droid_3.0

Droid_3.0 New Member

O_O whats this i hear about Apps2sdext
  18. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

OH OH OH, I see. I thought you meant that you had to mount it from recovery because it wouldn't mount when you were booted up normally, I was wondering why it didn't work normally anymore. I guess it was just a screwed up rom install :)

Yeah, clockwork has that, too, of course. Clockwork also has the ability to install a zip from the SD card that ISN'T named update.zip. So you can install a rom, gapps, kernel, etc all at once by just picking them all out off the SD card - no renaming needed.
  19. furbearingmammal

I just put them on the SD card, boot into recovery, install, mount, rename, install, then boot to make sure it works, then reboot and install whichever the 3rd is. Saves me a bunch of time when I have a ROM that won't boot for whatever reason.

Only issue I've ever had with SPRecovery is it named one of my backups with a 1970 date code. Considering the large number of problems I've seen, helped with, and heard complaints about regarding ROM Manager and ClockworkMod Recovery, I'm just not going there. :D
  20. furbearingmammal

Oh, and the rate that build of the ROM was failing me I'm sure refusing to mount the SD card was next on the hit parade.

:rolf3:
Search tags for this page
facebook untag photo from samsung s3
how do i untag a facebook photo in droid bionic
how do i untag myself from a photo on facebook on my droid x
how do i untag photos on facebook droid razr
how do i untag photos on facebook for my htc thunderbolt

how to untag a photo in my droid

how to untag a photo on a droid phone

how to untag a photo on facebook android

how to untag a photo on facebook on a droid 4 review
how to untag from photo on facebook on gs3