[REVIEW] Flashcard apps for the Droid

varx

Reaction score
Hi I'm the developer of StudyDroid. I like your review. Check out the new Version of StudyDroid (StudyDroid 2.0 - Free). I added a known button so it's only one quick action, full two-way sync and card customization.

Still working on timed card repetition.

Any comments you have would be greatly appreciated.

liberty

Reaction score
Hi I'm the developer of StudyDroid. I like your review. Check out the new Version of StudyDroid (StudyDroid 2.0 - Free). I added a known button so it's only one quick action, full two-way sync and card customization.

Still working on timed card repetition.

Any comments you have would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, are you interested in the openintent to communicate between different flashcard/dictionary apps?
Communication between dictionaries and flashcard applications | OpenIntents

varx

Reaction score
Wow, that's really interesting. I'll comment over there.

Nicolas Raoul

Reaction score
Download shared decks: Done!

The development team is working on adding functionality to permit direct downloading of other people's decks directly from a website as well as being able to add/delete cards directly on the phone. Once this app has this additional functionality then will definitely move up in the ratings!
Download decks: done! :)

AnkiDroid 0.4.2 (released a few weeks ago) has a "Download deck" button that allows to download from thousands of decks (languages, science, law, medicine, ...). No registration/login or web browsing required, it just downloads the list of decks and shows the list, where you can scroll (in order of popularity) and choose. There are so many decks because it is the same repository as the PC software "Anki", which is extremely popular on non-mobile environments.

You can also suspend cards, so that you don't review them again. You can still not add new cards, but we are working on it.

OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Have you tried out spb flash cards?

No - I have not. But it appears that because they have a different app for each language, this is a set of cards with a fixed list of words that you are buying. There is no mention in either the app description or on their web site about being able to add/edit cards - or download additional sets of cards. It does not even say the level of the cards (beginner, advanced) or how many cards that you get - so I would be careful!

OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Check out the new Version of StudyDroid 2.0 - Free. I added a known button so it's only one quick action, full two-way sync and card customization.

AnkiDroid 0.4.2 (released a few weeks ago) has a "Download deck" button that allows to download from thousands of decks (languages, science, law, medicine, ...). No registration/login or web browsing required, it just downloads the list of decks and shows the list, where you can scroll (in order of popularity) and choose. There are so many decks because it is the same repository as the PC software "Anki", which is extremely popular on non-mobile environments. You can also suspend cards, so that you don't review them again.

I have re-tested both of your apps as well as the latest version of FlashCards ToGo. I will try to get the reviews updated this weekend. Thanks for continuing to make your apps better.

OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Spent last couple of hours reviewing latest versions of following apps:
  • AnkiDroid
  • StudyDroid
  • FlashCards To Go.
All have added some nice new features. Reviews of each have been updated in first post.

hermitap

Reaction score
Looking full free FlashCard programm with tests.

Generals of Language:FlashCard - Android app on AppBrain

screen

screen

111.png

English - Generals of Language

Last edited:

ballparkfm

Reaction score
Good job

I feel like I should give you money for the hard work. Thanks!

refuserefuse

Reaction score
Other features?

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reviews. Can you provide some information. I am trying to find the flash card app that has a couple of features I consider essential but did not make your list. Which of these can combine decks and allow you to move a card to a different pack. Both of these are invariably used with physical flash cards but never seem to make the developer or reviewers lists.

Any point in the right direction. Downloading flashcard apps and testing them long enough to know if I want them has become tedious.

OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Many of the developers follow this thread so they may be able to help you, but I do not think that any of the apps allow you to combine decks directly within the application or move words from one set to another.

However, most allow you to export cards to a text file, so you could export your decks and then use a text editor either on your phone or PC to move words around. I have done that with several sets that were getting too big.

vanda

Reaction score
Thanks for the great reviews! Since there are a couple of really good flashcard websites that have thousands and thousands of flashcards, it is really unfortunate that the developers have not provided more direct integration... hint hint. I really don't want to use YAWI (yet another web interface) to produce flashcards - I'd rather rely on a more portable interface that I can use with both my phone / computer / other device. Quizlet.com and flashcardexchange.com... but I want to directly interface with my account on those websites, as opposed to using the computer and converting the files.

jeffthewhitegoose

Reaction score
Flash Card Maker Pro

I use Flash Card Maker Pro to help me learn. It is the only application that is optimized for Android pads, tablets, and mobile phones. Flash Card Maker Pro uses advanced gesturing and text-to-speech capability providing a fully interactive experience for users of all ages. This multi-sensory teaching tool uses all pathways of learning (visual, auditory, kinesthetic or seeing, hearing, touching) simultaneously, in order to enhance memory and learning. Use Flash Card Maker Pro on your Android phone or tablet to teach children how to read and do math, to help students study for exams, or to prepare for an upcoming presentation.

Tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand. (Chinese Proverb)

Recycle your old paper flash cards and download the latest digital version today! Flash Card Maker Pro has the following highlighted features:

1. Create Your Own Flash Cards
2. Share Flash Cards with Other Users
3. Download Decks of Cards from Developer Website
4. Text-to-speech Audio Playback
5. Built-in Study Timer
6. Randomize or Change Order of Playback
7. Swap Question and Answer
8. Change Card Colors and Text Size
9. Navigate Between Cards using Touch Gestures
10. Backup Database to SD Card

Apps For Teachers and Students : Flash Card Maker Pro

flatspot

Reaction score
Thank you!

KIWIGUY!

Your original post was so helpful, I registered on the site just so I could say thank you. You saved me oodles of time and frustration in figuring out which Flashcard set to go with.

Thank you.