[REVIEW] Flashcard apps for the Droid

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Updated: January 2014 - I have not updated this site for awhile as I have settled on using Fluxcards as my main Flash Cards app. (In the last 15 months I have learnt more than 2,000 words after flipping 53,000 cards!).

A more recent review of newer apps can be found here by ly422
. I would try out the top programs from this new review and from my review - as personal preferences plays a large part in the selection (being able to type the answer is low on my priority list, but high on ly422's). You may also want to look at Flashcard Expert which I have not reviewed.

Flashcards: In the physical world, sets of cards used to aid memorization. One side of the card contains a question and the other side contains the associated answer that you want to memorize. Most flashcard applications mimic this same behavior.

Over the past year, I have tested every single flashcard program that I have been able to find on the market so thought that I would share my findings. There are some good programs and some not some good; and several that are excellent.

A good flashcard program needs to have at least the following features:
  1. Must have an easy-to-use interface that is fast and intuitive. I should be able to start testing myself with a set of cards within 3 clicks of starting the program.
  2. It should also be designed expressively for use on a Mobile phone, preferably so that it can easily be used with one hand while standing in a subway or standing in line at a supermarket. Fiddly little buttons, excessive scrolling, or having to hide the keyboard in order to save a new card because the Save button is under the keyboard are all examples of poor design.
  3. Ability to remember what cards that you got correct/wrong between sessions so that you are only retested on the cards that you do not know. The best programs use some variation of the Leitner System where as you learn a card and get it correct, the length of time until you are shown that card again increases. Cards move through a series of levels or "buckets" until finally the card moves to the top level at which time it is considered known.
  4. Ability to easily add/edit/delete cards directly from within the program.
  5. Ability to import/export card packs so that you can edit them on your PC
  6. Ability to backup your cards INCLUDING YOUR LEARNING HISTORY to a file on your SD card is a must so you can easily install a new ROM or migrate to a new phone.
  7. A plus is if it also permits you to upload/download packs from a website so you have access to other people's packs.
  8. Ability to easily search all of your packs to find a word. This helps avoid creating duplicate cards.
  9. Ability to not only test your knowledge on a set of cards, but also functions to help you study/learn the cards through a variety of drills or being able to repeatedly retest on the cards that you get wrong.A "Status" screen that shows your progress (i.e. if you have a pack of 50 cards, what is the number that you (1) know well, (2) kind of know, and (3) have yet to cram into your brain!)
  10. For languages, a speech capability where it can read the word and the response aloud is a big bonus.
  11. For languages, an option where you have to type the answer that the program automatically compares to the correct spelling is also a great way to learn.

Learning Logic

Probably one of the most important attributes of a Flashcard program is its learning logic. During a testing session, once you get a card correct, you should not be shown it again during that session. If you get a card incorrect, then it should be re-displayed several cards later on in the test. (If it is shown too quickly then it is too easy to recall it, but if shown too much later on then you do not have a chance to learn it). The program should also carefully control how many new cards you see in a session, so you do not feel overwhelmed. Then when you start the next session, it should automatically start with the cards that you have the lowest score on. At least half the programs in the market fail on one or more of these basic learning requirements.

Summary

A. The following are good flashcard programs that are worth your while downloading and trying out: [My current favorites = :heart:]
  • FluxCards :heart:
  • Langleo :heart:
  • FlashCards ToGo :heart:
  • AnyMemo (formerly called Fantastisch) :heart:
  • AnkiDroid :heart:
  • JetMemo
  • Wise Cards (formerly called Flashcards and before that tea.ch cards lite)
  • Kaka Flashcards
B. The following apps are worth keeping an eye on - as they have the potential to be great if their developers keep improving them:
  • Lingo Quiz :heart:
  • Pocket Pauker
  • Wordroid
C. The following have one or more weaknesses:
  • Tiny Classroom
  • CoboCards
  • StudyDroid
  • gFlash +
  • StudyBuddy
D. The following are Fails!
  • Flash Card Maker Pro
  • Flashcards Helper
  • Remata
  • A++ Flashcards
  • SpanishFlashcards
  • Learn
  • SimpleLingo Free

Note: People may have other priorities on what they consider important (eg if you learning kanji then the ability to view and draw the characters is critical), so you may not rate these programs in the same order that I have! At the very least it is a handy list of what is on the market and their key features. I urge you to try all of the ones in Category A above and make up your own minds as to what works best for you.

I also have a great deal of respect for any person who takes the time and effort to write a program that he or she puts on the market for free (or low cost) so as to help other people - so once you find one that you like then support that developer!!

You can find another review of some Flash Card programs here. This reviewer's must-have feature is the ability to be able to type the answer and have the program check if it is correct, so his findings are different than mine - but he has created a useful table with side-by-side comparisons of each of the different apps’ features.

Reviews

*** Features that are either unique to that app or make it stand out are listed in blue

A. Good Apps

FluxCards - Rating: :rating09: :heart:
7/1/12 - FluxCards is a new entry on the market written by a German developer, Leo Wandersleb, who had been using iFlashcards, but found some features missing so set out to write his own containing everything that he thought a good mobile flashcard app should have - and I think he has come pretty darn close. FluxCards uses a variation of the Leitner system where the interval that each card is shown increases each time you get it correct. If you do not know a word, it will be shown to you again 8 cards later. If you get it wrong again, then it will be shown 7 cards later, etc. (A nice feature is that the words that you got wrong earlier in the session and are being repeated are displayed in a different color).

The following are 4 of the features of FluxCards that I think really make it stand out:
- Firstly, the program is well designed including some nice animations that make it easy and fun to use and it quickly becomes addictive. After a word is shown, you can touch anywhere on the screen (no stabbing at little buttons) to display the answer which also simultaneously causes 4 colored towers to swoop up from the bottom where you record whether your got the card right or wrong - red (wrong); green (right); grey (I am tired of being tested for this word, do not show it to me again today) and blue (edit mode where you can correct/delete the card).
- You can set it to show a certain % of cards in the reverse order. For example, if you select 20%, then the app will randomly ask you Side B rather than Side A on every 1 in 5 cards - which is good for language learning. (If you select 100% then it will always ask Side B).
- You can have a large set, but it will only show you new cards (cards you never learned before) once you are out of cards to be repeated. This way you can learn for half an hour every day without getting only new cards even when you start with a set of 1000 cards.
- It has a 5 different graphs showing various statistics such as where you are in learning your set. It also has a widget that summarizes how many cards in the current set that you (a) have never got correct (b) are still learning (c) have not yet been tested on yet and (d) know well eg: FluxCard: 2 86 378 54

Pros
- Very simple and fast to use. When in learn mode, it remembers where in the test you are - so if you have to stop for any reason then when you come back to the app (whether 5 minutes or 5 hours) it simply picks up where you left off. This makes it very convenient for using in short bursts (eg. waiting in line at a store)
- One of the fastest Flash Card programs that I have tested - which make it very easy to quickly run through a deck.
- Designed so can easily be used with one hand.
- Easy and fast to add/edit/delete words directly within the program. [Note editing a card during a Learning sessions resets that that learning session]
- Can reverse order that cards are asked (i.e. a -> b, b -> a). You can also set it to only show a certain % reversed.
- Can back up the database INCLUDING YOUR LEARNING HISTORY to a file on your SD card. (You click on a button to export all sets to an /Export folder then later you have to copy the files that you want to import back in from the /Export folder to an /Import folder - a little complex for new users)
- Has a set of graphs that show your progress by current day, the week the month, etc. It also has a widget that summarizes how much of a pack you have learnt.
- Includes a Cram mode where you once you have completed the cards that are due for today, you can review the cards that will come due tomorrow or some other future date. It works the same as Regular mode, however in Cram mode if you get a card correct, it does not advance it to a longer time interval, but if you get it wrong then it does decrease its score so you will be shown the card more frequently.
- Can have multiple card packs (or sets) and concurrently test from multiple at the same time.
- Can download 100's of pre-made packs directly within the app from Quizlet.com. You can also log on Quizlet and rapidly create new lists there. I was able to export a list of 400 words from Langleo and paste them into Quizlet and then download into Flux in less than 5 minutes. You can also import and export sets to iFlashcards if you have it installed.
- Can display all cards from all your card packs in list mode - with all words and answers displayed. Clicking a word puts you into Edit mode.
- Can easily search all packs to find a word.
- The cover card has a nice feature that instead of just tapping it to show the answer, you can also slowly slide it down to reveal the first line of the answer - this is perfect for long answers where seeing the first line may prompt your memory.
- Responsive developer

Cons
- No option to permit you to type your answers
- No speech capability

Cost: Free (and no Ads). The author is developing a new subscription version which will have additional features.

Langleo - Rating: :rating09: :heart:
6/25/11 - The latest release of Langleo has moved it to the top of the chart!! Nice clean, simple interface. You can create collections (e.g. Spanish) and then within a collection create lists or sets of words (e.g. weather terms or countries). Learning is based on a spaced repetition system based on the Supermemo method. You view a card, then tap it to show the "back" of the card. You can then either tap one of two buttons: "Correct" or "Incorrect" or swipe up (correct) or down (wrong) on the screen. The words that you get wrong it will ask you again later in the session.

Here are the 3 features that I think make Langleo really stand out:
- fast and well designed, so fun to use (which is important)
- You can set how many new words it should test you on in each session and each day (i.e. you can create a set of 100 words, but it will only quiz you on 20. If you get half of them wrong then next day it will quiz you on those plus 10 new words). This is very useful when you have very large lists as it automatically breaks up your learning into small chunks.
- Built in speech capability combined with swipe to answer. The program will ask you the questions out loud then say the answer. You can then swipe up on the screen for correct or down for incorrect - so possible to learn on a bus or train with headphones and the phone in your pocket without having to look at the phone! I have started to use this feature a lot.

Pros
- Very simple and fast to use.
- When in quiz mode, it remembers where in the test you are - so if you have to stop for any reason then when you come back to the app (whether 5 minutes or 5 hours) it simply picks up where you left off. This makes it very convenient for using in short bursts (eg. waiting in line at a store)
- Easy and fast to add/edit/delete words directly within the program.
- Can create word lists on your PC then import them into the program.
- Can back up the database INCLUDING YOUR LEARNING HISTORY- so if you change your ROM, you can restore all of your word-lists and your learning status.
- Can have multiple card packs (or sets) and concurrently test from multiple at the same time.
- Can download 100's of pre-made packs as there is a Download command that links to the StudyStack site. Can also preview the contents of a list before downloading - many of the other programs only show you the lists and it is kind of "pot luck" what you download. (Just be patient if you try this as it takes about 5 minutes to create a index of all of the lists on the site.
- It has speech capability - so it can speak aloud the question and the answer.
- Can display entire card pack in list mode - with all words and answers displayed. Can easily edit words in List mode.
- Responsive developer (Tomek Piotrowski from Poland)

Cons
- Can NOT reverse order that cards are asked (i.e. a -> b, b -> a)
- No search capability - so can not easily find if you already have a word in one of your sets.
- The only other weakness is that although the Test function works well, there is no Study function. Once you have tested yourself against a set of cards, the program does not allow you to review the cards that you got wrong. You just have to wait for them to appear again. You can view the entire set of cards in list form, but there is no indication which ones you know and which ones you have yet to learn.

Cost: Free.

FlashCards ToGo - Rating: :rating09: :heart:
FTG is another top choice - it is well designed and has some innovative features like auto-translate which makes entering new cards easier. Learning is based on the Leitner System. You view a card then tap it to show the other side. Three buttons (good, ok, and bad) also appear that you tap to select whether you got it correct. It then calculates the time interval until it asks that card again. I find the auto-translator useful as the way I tend to learn is that I see a word that I do not know in a book or on tv; grab my phone and look up its meaning then add it to my card pack. In addition, the feature that really made this a winner for me is that it reminds me (by putting a reminder in the status bar) when words come due to re-learn - which is a great incentive to actually use the program on a regular basis. The main weakness of this program is its limited study functions (see Cons).

Pros
- Can easily create lists on phone and add/edit/delete existing cards directly within the program.
- When in quiz mode, it remembers where in the test you are - so if you have to stop for any reason then it simply picks up where you left off. This makes it very convenient for using in short bursts (e.g. waiting in line at a store.)
- Easy to enter new cards. Has an auto-translate feature so you only have to type in the word that you do not know and it will look up the translation using Google and create the other side of the card for you.
- Can reverse order that cards are asked (i.e. a -> b, b -> a)
- Can backup/restore your entire set of decks to a CSV file on your SD card including learning history (There are actually 2 backup options - simple = cards only; Complex=cards+learning status).
- Study scheduler feature: When a set of words come due, it pops an alert in the android status bar - which is great to remind you to retest yourself.
- Has a status screen with graphs that visually show you how much of the pack you have learnt and how many cards are coming due in next couple of days

- Can have multiple card packs.
- Supports many languages with the dictionaries
- Has a number of good quiz options to control how many new words are introduced each day including 1) Learn with a time limit and 2) Finish after 10 cards unknown.
- It has slightly better learning function that Langleo (and most of the other flash card apps that I tested) in that once you have tested yourself against a set of cards, it will permit you to immediately retest yourself just against the words that you got wrong. There is also a "Memorize" where the program will do a one-time cycle through the cards that you got wrong showing the answers.
- Can display entire card pack in list mode - with all words and answers displayed. Allows searching within card pack with a fuzzy search, allows sorting cards according to different criteria. Can easily edit words in List mode.
- Can download stacks from Quizlet, Studystack and FlashcardExchange
- Responsive developer (Oliver Nölle from Germany)

Cons
- No speech capability

Cost: Both free and paid versions. The free version has all of the functionality of the paid, except it has a 100 card limit. The paid (Gold pack) version is a reasonable 1.99 EUR (~$3.00) and works with unlimited cards.

AnyMemo - Rating: :rating09: :heart:
Anymemo (initially released on the market called Fantastisch) is my 4th top choice - as it has nearly everything that you could want from a good flashcard program: sophisticated learning algorithm based on the Mnemosyne algorithm (which is meant to be a more modern variation of the Leitner System), speech capability, review capability, etc. You tap on a card to show the answer and then tap on one of a series of buttons to indicate how well you knew the word. [You can set in the Options menu whether you want 4 selection choices (1 Again, 2 Good, 3 Easy, 4 Very Easy) or 5 (0 Forget, 1 Forget, 2 Very Hard, 3 Hard, 4 Easy, 5 Very Easy)]. There are, however, no options to control how long the learning session should last or how many new words are introduced each day - so if you have a large list, the test basically keeps going until you get tired of it. (This is where I think Flux Cards and Langleo is slightly better).

Pros
- Intuitive to use. Good graphics. Fast and responsive. Easy to quickly run through a list when you have a few spare minutes.
- It has speech capability - so it can speak aloud the question and the answer. It also allows you to set whether you want the words read automatically or only when you tap the screen (only app with this feature which is nice).
- Can easily create lists on phone and add/edit/delete existing cards directly within the program.
- Can download other people's packs directly from the website
- Can export/import sets of cards to SD card (Can import from multiple formats: Mnemosyne XML, SuperMemo PPC XML, Tab TXT, CSV, QA Text)
- When in quiz mode, it remembers where in the test you are - so if you have to stop for any reason then it simply picks up where you left off. This makes it very convenient for using in short bursts (eg. waiting in line at a store.)
- Has some learning functions such as preview mode to view entire card list and "Cram Review" which you can use to repeatedly test yourself without impacting the card's "known" status.
- Lots of card customization options (font size, colors, shuffle cards, etc)
- Can display entire card pack in list mode - with all words and answers displayed.
- Can review and reset the learning level of each card - to force the app to retest you on it.
- App has a great web page with detailed help pages.
- Responsive developers (Haowen Ning, Qi Wang, Xufeng Han)

Cons
- No time options or options to control how many new words are introduced each day.
- No status screen to show you which words you have or have not learnt
- There is a list view which displays all words in a set - but it does not indicate each word's status. You can edit the word from the list view, but after edit complete, it does not return you back to List View - so a bit awkward.
- No search capability - so can not easily find if you already have a word in one of your sets.

Cost: Free. Also a Donate version for $2.99 - which if you like this app is not a lot to pay.

AnkiDroid - Rating: :rating09: :heart:
Learning is based on a spaced repetition system. Word lists ("decks") can be created either directly on your phone or on your PC (then copied to your phone's SD card). You can have multiple decks. You decide when you start the program which deck you want to work with. The program remembers the learning status of each deck as you switch decks (as the decks are stored as files it is easy to back them up or migrate them). When learning the cards, you can control (1) the maximum number of questions in a session (2) the maximum number of new cards that you want to see a day and (2) where in the session the new cards appear (start, end or random). You view a card then tap a "Show Answer" button to show the "back" of the card. You then choose from 4 buttons: "Again", "Hard", "Good" and "Easy" which controls how quickly the question is re-asked.

The program includes a "Get Shared Deck" button that permits you to select from 100's of decks to download (languages, science, law, medicine,...). No registration/login is needed, it simply displays a list of decks (in order of popularity) and you choose one to download. There are many decks to choose from as it is the same repository as the PC software "Anki", which is extremely popular on non-mobile environments. A recent improvement also permits you to type in keywords to search for decks of interest to you. (The only downside is that you cannot view a deck before downloading so is a bit of a "pot luck" as to what you are getting).

Pros
- Word Lists (decks) stored as files (including learning history) so no concerns about backing up a database.
- Can import lists that you create on your PC then copy to your SD card.
- Can add, edit and delete cards directly within the program.
- Can control what is shown in a review i.e. you can set it to just show new words or just show words that you previously got wrong (for learning purposes).
- Can suspend cards so they are not shown again - so if you download a deck and it contains words that you already know, you don't have to keep seeing them.
- Easy to use in short bursts
- Has a timer - so you can set a certain time to learn - and a whiteboard function - where you can jot down notes on the fly - or draw kanji characters (I, personally, did not find either of these features particularly useful)
- Has an option that permits you to type your answers.
- You can add extra info about a card such as reference, example sentence, URL, page number of a book, images, etc.
- Has an integrated dictionary, so can type a word and look up its meaning.
- Speech capability - so it can speak aloud the question and the answer.
- A list view to view all of the cards in a deck.
- A status screen that shows progress
- Responsive development team (Nicolas Raoul plus others), in all time zones, support requests are usually answered within 3 hours.
- app has been translated into 27 languages thanks to strong user community.
- Themes/animations
- Automatically backs up cards
- Can add cards via external programs like dictionaries
- This program is constantly being improved.

Cons
- No major cons

Cost: Free

JetMemo - Rating: :rating08:
A new entry on the market (as of June 2011). JetMemo has 2 learning modes that you can choose from: either a pure Leitner system or a "standard" system. The thing that I liked about this program is that it includes functionality to permit you to easily see what words are in each box and edit or move words between boxes (I do not think any of the other apps can do this). Word decks (called "collections") are stored as files on your phone and you select which collection that you want to work with.

The app has 5 different test modes (which you can easily switch between by long pressing on the Learn button). These are (1) Preview - simply shows you questions and answers together, one after the other; (2) the typical Show question/Show Answer flashcard format (3) Enter an answer - where you have to type the answer to the displayed question (4) Multiple Choice - where you are given a selection of responses to choose from and (5) Blind - a mode where you can supposedly test yourself without looking at the screen - such when travelling on a subway with the phone in your pocket. In this mode, the app speaks the question, then you tap on the screen for it to speak the answer. You can then either swipe a "Tick" if you got it correct or an upside down tick if you got it wrong. (This last part still needs to be improved - as that is very hard to do without looking at the screen).

When learning the cards, you can control the maximum number of new cards that you want to see a day and where in the session the new cards appear (newest answered first, newest answered last, best by stat, worst by stat, or random). You view a card then tap the screen to show the answer. You then choose from either a "Correct" or "Wrong" button.

Pros
- Word Lists (decks)stored as files (including learning history) so no concerns about backing up a database.
- Can import lists that you create on your PC then copy to your SD card.
- Can add, edit and delete cards directly within the program - including in test mode.
- Can easily import new lists from StudyShack, Flashcard Exchange, Quizlet or directly from a CSV file on your phone.
- Easy to use in short bursts.
- Five different learning modes: (1) Preview; (2) Show question/Show Answer; (3) Type answer; 4) Multiple Choice and (5) Blind (long press on Learn button to change between these. Can also switch between Mute and speaking response; and "Auto next card".
- Can view the words that are in each Leitner box and move up or down to other boxes if desired
- Can add tags to cards, so that you can mark certain cards for more frequent retest.
- Some nice statistics screens that show the progress of a set of words and the % that have moved to each Leitner box level.
- Study scheduler feature: When a set of words come due, it pops an alert in the android status bar - which is great to remind you to retest yourself.
- App has a good web page (JetMemo Home - Memory training program) with detailed help pages.
- Responsive developer (Juri from Russia)

Cons
- The interface is not as well designed as some of the other top apps
- There is a list mode where you can see all of the words in a list (or collection) - but it only shows Side A. It does not show the translation. Nor does it show the learning progress of each word as some of the other apps do.

Cost: Lite Version - Free (Max of 15 cards in a collection; Paid version - US $2.00 or 2€ (~2,8 USD) for other countries.

Wise Cards (formerly called Flashcards and Tea.ch cards lite) by Phylum Tea - Rating: :rating08:
Good program. Learning is based on the Leitner System. You tap each card to show "the back of the card" and then swipe left or right to indicate whether you knew it (left swipe = correct; right swipe = wrong). It then calculates the time interval until it asks that card again. Many nice features built into the app including being able to easily review current status of each card. See here for Help file for good explanation of features.

Pros
- Easy to use with large easy to read screens and swipe motions to navigate. The swipe motions can be configured.
- Can create your own lists on PC (or download lists from the web e.g.. Flash Card Exchange) and import them. The latest release also allows you to download decks directly to the phone from Studystack.com, Flashcardexchange.com and Quizlet.com. There is no need to convert lists as CSV.
- Speech capability - so it can speak aloud the question and the answer.
- Review cards mode.
- Undocumented feature: if you 'long press' on a word deck then you get a context menu which allows you to save the list to the SD card. The program stores the status of the learning process, which can be restored as well.
- Can organize cards in groups.

Cons
- Awkward to use with one hand. I also found trying to remember to tap then swipe left or right tiring and not very intuitive and found that I constantly made swipes in the wrong direction. This may be improved now that you can configure the swipe actions.

Cost: Both Lite and Paid versions. Lite version is a full functional add-supported version with only 1 limitation - it will only permit you to learn from the first deck. (Though you can have all the txt files you want saved on your SD card - so just delete a deck and make a new one anytime you need to re-learn something). Paid version is USD $4.24.

Kaka Flashcards - Rating: :rating06:
A decent program. Learning is based on a spaced repetition system - where words get moved to 1 of 3 stacks depending how well you know them. The feature that I like least about Kaka is the navigation. You swipe a card horizontally to see next or previous flashcard. You swipe your finger vertically to "turn" the card. Then you have to double tap the screen to mark a card as unknown. I personally found constantly flicking left, flicking down, double tapping, repeat... a little tiresome.

Pros
- Good graphics. Fast and responsive. Easy to quickly run through a list when you have a few spare minutes.
- Can import sets of cards from the phone or import pre-made lists from many popular websites such as Study Stack.
- Can also export stacks - so can create backups or upload them to websites.
- Good Help file available (see Help (Kaka Flashcards))

Cons
- Not very intuitive to use. You have to remember which directions to swipe and tap
- Awkwardly designed. You have to make 4 selections before you can actually start learning a set of cards. This is a nuisance if you want to just quickly spend a few minutes studying.
- Difficult to use with one hand due to all the swiping motions required
- No backup/restore function
- No speech capability
- No list view so cannot view all of the cards in a deck.
- No status screen so no way to tell how much of a pack you have learnt.

B. Keep an Eye On - as These May Get Better!

Lingo Quiz - Rating: :rating07: :heart:
A beautifully designed program - stunning graphics and simple, easy-to-use layout. Once you start the program there are only 3 options: (1) Study (2) Word Lists and (3) Settings. The only reason I have put it in the "Keep an Eye On" category is that (1) it does not support a true spaced learning feature and (2) it is missing the traditional show question/show answer flashcard format (though I have emailed the author and this is coming in the next release).

Instead of using a spaced repetition system, you have to get a word correct 10 times to be considered learnt. Every time you run a test, the app shows you 80% of words that you got wrong last time, 10% words that you got correct; and 10% new words. This seems to work for large lists, but if you just have a list of 10-50 words then you tend to get the full list over and over, rather than just the words that you got wrong.

However, if answering the question by typing your answer is important to you then run, don't walk, to get this app - as this feature is absolutely outstanding and almost converted me to the "type answer" format. It is designed so that the virtual keyboard stays displayed throughout the session (rather than the "type answer, hide keyboard, check answer, show next question, show keyboard again" format of most apps). The other innovative feature of this app is that you can import words not only from files, but also from webpages and lists of words and the program will translate them automatically for you (using Google and Microsoft Translate). I found this useful when reading a book in Spanish - I could just write down a list of the words that I did not know, then have the program import them and translate them for me. It also has 3 different test modes (see below for details)

Pros
- Beautifully designed with stunning graphics and clean, simple interface. Easy to quickly run through a list when you have a few spare minutes.
- You can edit your word lists and easily add/update/delete words (although not during the test phases).
- Can create word lists on your PC (in CSV, DSL, DB, or LESX format) then import them into the program. Can also import all words from a webpage or create a list of words on the phone to import. The program than permits you to run an automatic translation feature to provide the translations.
- Can have multiple card packs or "sets".
- Shows you what percentage of a word list you have learnt.
- In setting, you can specify the number of new words to learn per session
- Can display the contents of each set in list mode - with all words and answers displayed. Can easily edit words in List mode.
- Has 3 different test modes (1) Type Answer: shows you question and you have to type the answer (2) Find Answer: Shows you question and you select from multi-choice answers and (3) Match Pair: shows you 5 sets of questions and answers and you have to match the each question with the correct answer.
- Good web site with help (Lingo Quiz - Introduction)
- Responsive developer (Mikhail Melnik from Russia)

Cons
- No traditional show question/show answer flashcard test format (which is important as you may not be in a place where you can easily type answers such as in a line at the supermarket!)
- Rather a complex setup - as you have to associate the program with a dictionary when you first use it - and if you do not have a supported dictionary already on your phone (such as ColorDict) then you have to download it.
- No spaced learning capability in the current version
- Very limited speech capability.
- Unable to edit cards while in test mode (which is important if you find a spelling or translation mistake)
- No ability to browse flashcard websites (such as StudyBuddy) and download other people's lists. You can, however, download CSV files from these sites to your PC and then copy them to your phone and import them that way.
- You can save your word packs to your SD card, but no way, at the moment, to backup the database with your learning history. [Not a big issue, as you can use a program like Titanium backup to do this].

Cost: Free version to try (contains ads and only permits one word pack). Paid version a reasonable US $2.30

Pocket Pauker- Rating: :rating04:
(July 2012) I was excited to find that Pauker has finally ported their application to the Android platform. Pauker is a free open-source Flashcard program that runs on Windows. "MiniPauker" was my main learning program about 4 years ago when I had a Java based phone. It has an excellent and sophisticated learning algorithm based on the Leitner system. Unfortunately the initial release of Pocket Pauker on Android is cumbersome and difficult to use. To start there are far too many little buttons - the main screen alone has 13 all in a long list. In the learning mode the "Learned" and "Forgot" buttons are about 1/8" (5 mm) high at the very bottom of the screen. In addition, you can not just touch a card to turn it, but you have to swipe it. Probably most frustrating it that when entering new words, you have to hide the keyboard every time before Saving it, as the "Save" button is under the keyboard.

I suspect that this program is for people who do most of their learning on their PC and only need to use the mobile version occasionally, thought I am also hoping that future releases will address these issues and add new features.

Pros
- Excellent spaced learning logic
- Can add/edit/delete words directly within the program.
- Lessons and learning progress are automatically saved to a pau.gz file - that can be used to copy to your PC
- Fairly basic statistics screen showing progress.
- Is compatible with Dropbox. You can use Dropbox to sync your desktop Pauker sessions wiht your Pocket Pauker sessions, Lessions can also be opened directly by clicking on them int eh Dropbox app. Lessions are synchronized when saved.

Cons
- Very confusing, clumsy interface
- Impossible to use with one hand, as too many small buttons and poor design layout.
- No speech capability

Wordroid - Rating: :rating04:
I really, really wanted to love this program - as it offers so much - a Leitner system for spaced repetitions along with 7 different test modes for a start. But it has some serious drawbacks. One is the program has so many options available that it makes it difficult to actually use it. This isn't helped that the developer is Korean with limited English skills - so the help text is almost useless. It appears that one can use both a star system (white --> yellow --> orange --> red) to indicate how well a word is known as well a "Memorized"/"Non-memorized" flag - but even after 2 hours of playing with it, I still hadn't figured out how they interacted!!.

If someone takes the time to figure out how to use it and writes a manual in English, then this could be a fantastic little application.

Pros
- 7 different Test modes (Flash card, Auto-flash, Word memory, Word text, Word Pair, Word Scrumble, Sound study)
- Can add/edit/delete words directly within the program.
- Has built in spaced repetition
- Has integrated a dictionary into the app, so can type a word and look up its meaning.
- Can export/import sets of cards to SD card
- Allows written answers
- Lots of options

Cons
- Very confusing interface
- App follows Leitner system for spaced repetitions, but it’s not easy to check the content of different boxes
- Can download packs from a web-site, but currently all available packs are in Korean
- It has speech capability - but only reads the question aloud not the answer - which is a little strange.
- The free version has very distracting animated ads along the bottom.

Cost: Free version with ads. Paid version ($1.99) that is ad-free.

C. Runner Ups

Tiny Classroom - Rating: :rating06:
(Retested July 2012) This program is very well designed and easy to use. The only reason that it is not in my favorites list is that the spaced learning logic is not as good as the better programs. If you get a word incorrect a certain number of times, it is marked as difficult. You then have the ability to select a checkbox in Settings to only retest the difficult words. You have another option to tell it to only show words that you got incorrect, but then you have to remember to uncheck this before testing yourself next time which is all a bit too fiddly. I prefer to just start testing myself and have the program control what it shows me.

I still keep it on my phone and use it quite often, however, as the Tiny Classroom web site contains a fantastic set of the 2,000 most common English words translated into various languages. You can download the set for the language you are interested in. And because it is so quick and easy to use, it makes a nice revision program. It also has a the ability to test in Writing mode - where you have to type the answer and it will mark the word known if you get it right.

Pros
- An intuitive and fast to use design. Easy to quickly run through a list when you have a few spare minutes.
- Easy and fast to add/edit/delete words directly within the program.
- Can create word lists on your PC (in CSV format) then import them into the program.
- Can back up the database INCLUDING YOUR LEARNING HISTORY- so if you change your ROM, you can restore all of your word-lists and your learning status.
- Can have multiple card packs or "sets" - but can only test yourself on one set at a time.
- Has a "pull up" at the bottom that displays the statistics of the selected set (Total words, words answered, etc)
- Can display the contents of each set in list mode - with all words and answers displayed. Can easily edit words in List mode.
- Can download packs from the Tiny Classroom website. This is limited to a set of the 2,000 most common words in a variety of languages - but I still find it useful.
- Has a very easy to use option that permits you to type answer.
- Excellent web site with good help
- App has many settings to control how the tests run (can test in both flip mode and auto mode, can test in random word order, can set flags to mark words as "Favorites", etc.)

Cons
- No speech capability

Cost: Free (but with rather an obtrusive advertising strip along the top of the learning pages)

CoboCards
- Rating: :rating06:
This looks like a great program - a clean, well designed and easy to use interface. But, unfortunately, it has some major drawbacks. One of the biggest is cost. The Android application itself costs 2.99 Euro, but then you find that you cannot create your own lists, you can only download them from the CoboCards website and the access to this site is another $3.70 a month - or close to $40 /year!
The learning program is based on the Leitner system. As well as a well-designed test function, it has by far the best learning function with multiple learning techniques and drills.

Pros
- Can download readymade lists from the CoboCards site
- Well designed and simple to use interface
- Good testing function based on Leitner system
- The app with the best learning functions. Easy to quickly run through a few drills when you have a few spare minutes.

Cons
- Can NOT create your own lists directly from within the program or import them from files on your SD card
- Can NOT add/edit/delete cards directly within the program.
- Expensive

Cost: $2.99 Euro plus a monthly $3.70 access fee.

StudyDroid - Rating: :rating05:
Basic flashcard program. The screen show a card with a single "KNOWN" button at the bottom. You tap on the screen to show the answer then press the "known" button if you knew the correct answer. You swipe sideways to see the next card. The next time you run it, it only asks you the cards that you did not know. (i.e. no logic to repeat cards and keep track of which ones you get wrong most often and ask these more frequently; or to re-ask cards after a certain time). See here for more info.

Pros
- Can download readymade lists from the StudyDroid site
- Can create your own lists on the StudyDroid site and download them. If you make changes on the phone it will also sync those changes back up to the StudyDroid site.
- Can add/edit/delete cards directly within the program.
- Tap on card to see "reverse". Nice left-to-right swipe motion to move to next card. You can also see previous card by swiping right-to-left.
- Can view card set as a list - although it does not show you card status.

Cons
- Simplistic learning logic - you either know the answer or you do not (Y/N logic).
- You can only see the question or the answer - not both together - so you often find yourself constantly toggling between the two sides. Most programs show the answer under the question.
- Can not back up cards/learning status to SD card (although can upload to StudyDroid site)
- No speech capability

gFlash + - Rating: :rating05:
Simple flashcard program. You either know the card or you do not (Y/N). When you run the test there seems to only be 2 choices - to only ask the cards you marked as "N" from previous run or to show entire set again. (i.e. pretty limited learning logic). See here for more info.

Pros
- Can download readymade lists from the gWhiz site
- Can create your own lists using Google spreadsheet and send to [email protected]. 30 minutes later you can download from gwhiz site.
- Can add/edit cards directly within the program.

Cons
- Simplistic learning logic
- Not optimized for a mobile device Droid - so text extremely small and difficult to read.
- You can delete cards on your phone, but cannot edit/add cards directly.

Cost: Free - but with large Advertising band across top of screen.

StudyBuddy - Rating: :rating04:
Very simple flashcard program. You flip through a pack and answer by pressing on either a "Right" or "Wrong" button. Neither the application nor the website state whether there is any space repetition logic included. In my tests, I do not think there is - it appeared that words are simply put in a good or problem "bucket".

Pros
- Can import lists that you create then copy to your SD card. You may can also download cards from the StudyBuddy site with the paid version (disabled in free version)
- Paid version allows you to review the cards that you got wrong

Cons
- Simplistic learning logic
- Can NOT add, edit or delete cards directly within the program.
- Limited learning options. Once you test yourself against a deck, you can retest against words that you got wrong (in paid version; disabled in free version. )
- Text is not optimized for the Droid so is far too big causing lot of word wrap.

Cost: Free for limited functionality. $1.00 for paid version.

Note: The app reviewed above is written by John Tucker. There is another app called "StudyBuddy" by upperCASE Software for $1.99 that I did not review.

D. FAILS
Flashcards Helper - Rating: :rating04:
This program would definitely be at the top of the list except for one fatal weakness - it does not remember which words that you have learnt between sessions - so if you have a list of 50 words and only got 3 wrong, then next time you run the app you have to go through the entire list of 50 to get to those 3. I emailed the developer about whether he intended to add some sort of learning history - but he said that he is tied up with other projects at the moment!

Which is a pity because other than that it is a great program - a clean, well designed interface - that makes it fun and easy to use. Multiple learning and testing modes (preview; skim; medium; thorough; and test); lots of preference options. Can add/edit and delete cards; downloads card packs from the web and sync your cards with the web version.

Pros
- Intuitive to use. Good graphics. Fast and responsive. Easy to quickly run through a list when you have a few spare minutes.
- Lots of test options that control order and frequency of cards
- Can easily create lists on phone and add/edit/delete cards from within the program.
- Can download packs from a web site (FreezingBlue.com) that you have created as well as browse/download other people's packs.
- can import/export card packs to your SD card so can create packs on your PC and then import them.

Cons
- No learning ability. It does not remember which cards you got right or wrong between sessions - which if you have large lists of cards makes it nearly unusable!
- No backup/restore function
- No speech capability

Cost: A free version - has a limit on the number of cards you can save. Paid version for $3.99 (Flashcards Study Helper)

Flash Card Maker Pro - Rating: :rating04:
Very simple flashcard program that just lets you flip through sets of cards - and indicate which ones you know. No learning ability. Considering how simplistic it is, I suspect many of the "rave reviews" about this app in the market were posted by the developer - see post #44, 48 and 49 in this thread!!

Pros

- Can download sets of cards from Developer's website
- Can export/import sets of cards to SD card
- Has a timer - so you can set a certain time to learn

Cons
- No learning ability. Once you mark a card as known, you are never retested on it (unless you unhide all "memorized" cards).
- Based on market comments, rather unstable on many devices.

Cost: Only paid version ($4.95) available - and with Google's new policy of only permitting 15 min to review, it makes this an expensive gamble.

Remata - Rating: :rating03:
Very simple flashcard program. You can create your own packs as CSV files that you can import or download ready-made packs of cards from the Remata web library. Once downloaded, you then flip though the pack answering whether you got the card "Right" or "Wrong". The program will repeat those questions that you get Wrong. After the test, you can then retest yourself at any time on just those questions that you got wrong (paid version only)

Pros
- Can import read-made lists (csv files) from your SD card or lists that you create from the Remata website

Cons
- No learning ability.
- Clumsy interface
- Can NOT add/edit/delete cards directly within the program.
- Only able to retest on words that you got wrong (i.e. no spaced repetition learning)
- Cannot reverse card direction (i.e. side a-> b and b ->a)

Cost: Free version with limited functionality or full version for US$1.00.

A++ Flashcards - Rating: :rating03:
Very simple flashcard program that just lets you flip through sets of cards. No learning ability. Currently pretty much unusable on a mobile device due to small text size.

Pros
- Can save the cards sets to your SD card.

Cons
- No learning ability.
- not optimized for a mobile device - text so small that is pretty much useless at the moment.
- No ability to mark cards as Known.

Cost: Free - but with Advertising band across top of screen.

SpanishFlashcards - Rating: :rating02:
If you just want a ready-made list of Spanish language cards then this program is quick and easy to use.

Pros
- Comes with a large list of words divided by category (colors, weather, etc)
- Easy to quickly run through a list when you have a few spare minutes

Cons
- No learning ability - it asks you the same list over and over (i.e. no way to mark which cards you know)
- List is fixed - cannot add/edit/delete cards from program

Learn - Rating: :rating01:
I had high hopes for this program as has 4 different learning algorithms built into it ("All in a Row"; Iterating; Leitner; and Negative Leitner - which is a variation of Leitner where the app assumes that you know the cards and from there the cards can move either up or down the levels). However, it failed miserably on the droid. I was able to download some readymade packs from its associated web site, but found that you cannot edit them. Also trying to create your own card packs on the phone is very slow and tedious. You have to long press on a card to start editing it - which is pain, but worse there is no option to create a simple Question/Answer format. You can either create (1) a multichoice card where you type a question and then have to come up with and type 4 multi-choice options or (2) a written answer card - where it forces you to type the response when testing!

Pros
- I guess ok if you just want to quickly run through some pre-made packs - but even then is not very fast or smooth.
- Includes option where you can type your answers.
- Can download pre-made sets from website - but no option to view sets before download.

Cons
- Tedious and time-consuming to create any cards on the Droid; and can only create multichoice/type answer type cards.
- Cannot edit or delete cards from downloaded packs
- No backup/restore function to SD card - although can upload packs you create to website.
- No speech capability
- No list view so cannot view all of the cards in a deck.

Simplelingo Free - Rating: :rating01:
Confusing interface. Does not appear to work correctly on Droid.

Pros
- Can import lists of words that you create and then copy to your SD card
- Supposedly allows you to drill cards as well as test (but could not get either to work)

Cons
- No learning ability
- Can NOT add/update/delete cards directly within the program.
- No related web site to download other people's packs

Last edited:
OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
New version of Studydroid released that makes it more usable on the Droid by increasing font size. Review updated.

chomorro

Reaction score
Excoellent job on the review. I have been searching for a good to use for my upcoming spanish class. Thank you

Freddieboi

Reaction score
I tried to find "tea.ch cards lite" in the market but it seems to be gone. Has the app been discontinued?

A also tried to find "J2ME MIDP Runner" so I could download Live Teacher, but that seems to be gone as well.
Any thoughts?

OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
The developer has renamed it to simply "Flashcards" - which is a bit confusing!! It is the app by Phylum Tea.

J2ME MIDP Runner can be downloaded from the developer's website at http://www.netmite.com/android/

There is a FAQ on J2ME Runner here. Basically this program lets you run nearly any J2ME application on Android such as many of the Java based games.

Last edited:
OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Just updated first post by adding reviews for a number of recent additions to the market:
- Langleo
- Flashcards Helper
- Learn
- CoboCards
- Remata
- SimpleLingo Free
- Ankidroid

Last edited:
OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Review updated - as new versions of Langleo and Flashcards to Go just released - which vaulted Langleo to the top of the list!

Mojo

Reaction score
Nice review! Thank you for taking the time to write it up. Very thorough!

moot

Reaction score
Wow, great review. Thank you for this.

Nicolas Raoul

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks a lot for this very exhaustive review! I am impressed you took the time to go through all of those applications. Very useful :)

I am one of the maintainers of AnkiDroid, so here are a few precisions about AnkiDroid's features:

- Multiple lists of words ("decks").
- All learning history is saved, switching decks does not lose anything.
- The deck picker shows learning stats about each deck.
- Sounds and images.
- Open source, will always be free.
- Usable in short bursts.
- Compatible with other "Anki" apps on Mac, Linux, Windows, FreeBSD, iPhone, Maemo, Zaurus, Nintendo DS, online webapp.
- You can create word lists on your PC and then import them.
- Each deck is actually a file, so you can backup or migrate it to a new phone.
- Responsive team, in all timezones, support requests are usually answered within 3 hours.
- Many contributors (18 persons just for version 0.4.1).
- Active community, 683 threads on the mailing list.
- Well tested, each release has at least one beta, with 50 to 400 beta-testers.
- For Japanese, pronunciation is optionally shown above each kanji in the answer.
- Same algorithm as Anki (SuperMemo).
- Timer.
- Whiteboard (for instance to draw Chinese characters).
- Support for complex fact models with more than two fields.
- Reversing order that cards are asked (i.e. a -> b, b -> a) is actually not needed because several cards can be created from a single fact.
- Reviewing means both learning and testing at the same time. If you are done with spaced reviews, you might want to "review early".
- Failed cards come back soon, you don't have to wait until the following day.

Next week's release 0.4.1 will add the following features:
- Download from 1500+ existing decks.
- User interface in 13 languages.

Version 0.5 will add web synchronization, to allow smooth review/edition on PC and phones.

Cons:
- Yes, can't add or delete cards yet from the phone, you have to use a PC. This is in the works. Cards can be suspended though, so that they won't appear again.

Thanks again! :)
Nicolas

Last edited:

myworld1234

Reaction score
Good review! But it is a little outdated. It do not contain recent apps like AnyMemo and Memodroid.
AnyMemo is my favoriate. It is very very functional and easy to use. Its built-in downloader can download more than 500 decks. In addition, it can import from Mnemosyne , SuperMemo and various apps. Spaced repetition is like Mnemosyne but not identical. The speech and editing function is awesome. Also I can customize the cards a lot. The author is very responsive. website: AnyMemo -- Memorize Anything

Previously I was using Memodroid. It was good but comparing to AnyMemo, it is nothing. website: MemoDroid - A memory training tool on Android platform | miianWorks Studio

Hopefully you can add them to your review.

Great review!

OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Nicolas Raoul:
I am one of the maintainers of AnkiDroid, so here are a few precisions about AnkiDroid's features:

I went back and re-tested AnkiDroid today and updated my review - including moving Ankidroid up in the ratings. I think once you can download card packs directly from the web and edit cards directly on the phone, it will definitely move even further up.

myworld1234:
Good review! But it is a little outdated. It do not contain recent apps like AnyMemo and Memodroid.

The hard part is actually finding some of these these apps - as when you search for "Flash cards" in the market, many of the good ones do not come up.

I downloaded AnyMemo this afternoon and spent some time testing it. I agree it is a great app and has many more options than most of the other apps allowing you to customize almost everything about it (font size, color, speech, etc) - so have added it to my "top 3" list.

I personally still prefer Langleo - primarily because it allows you to set how many new words to learn each day - but I think people should try out all of the ones in the top list and select the one that best suits them - as they are all excellent!

myworld1234

Reaction score
Nicolas Raoul:
I went back and re-tested AnkiDroid today and updated my review - including moving Ankidroid up in the ratings. I think once you can download card packs directly from the web and edit cards directly on the phone, it will definitely move even further up.

myworld1234:
The hard part is actually finding some of these these apps - as when you search for "Flash cards" in the market, many of the good ones do not come up.

I downloaded AnyMemo this afternoon and spent some time testing it. I agree it is a great app and has many more options than most of the other apps allowing you to customize almost everything about it (font size, color, speech, etc) - so have added it to my "top 3" list.

I personally still prefer Langleo - primarily because it allows you to set how many new words to learn each day - but I think people should try out all of the ones in the top list and select the one that best suits them - as they are all excellent!

It is great for you to review AnyMemo. As you have mentioned, different people would prefer different software style. I like the powerful software with a lot of options so I can make it to fit my own style. Many other people like simple ones that provide their unique learning method to people. Also I prefer the learning endlessly like SuperMemo. So AnyMemo fit me best. I think AnyMemo can provide a daily quota when learning by just adding a filter like "#100-200", so it will only provide card 100 to 200. The filter is very powerful though hard to use without reading the guide.
Some cons of AnyMemo is that AnyMemo do not provide writing test like Anki Desktop version do.

I really like your review and I have also tried out many other flash card software.

Nicolas Raoul

Reaction score
I really like your review and I have also tried out many other flash card software.

Great! Can you give the names of the other flash card software apps you are referring to?
That would be useful, and kiwiguy might be kind enough to review them too :)

Cheers!
Nicolas

myworld1234

Reaction score

Great! Can you give the names of the other flash card software apps you are referring to?
That would be useful, and kiwiguy might be kind enough to review them too :)

Cheers!
Nicolas

I have also used Memodroid before AnyMemo. It was the greatest because it can import Supermemo XML. But now AnyMemo can also import it. Also Memodroid divide the db into 200 cards per section. It needs to drill after memorizing cards. Some people will like it because it is similar to SM2. However the scheduling algorithm is not Supermemo's. It seems like a customized one and is a little like Anki's modification. AnyMemo's algorithm is almost the same as Mnemosyne, but it modifies somehow as It won't display the same failed card in succession. It maintains a small learning window so it can mix up the new and old words. A con of this kind of algorithm is that it can not randomize the whole deck efficiently. The pro is clear that I can learn more effficiently.

Last edited: