Review - ClockworkMod Launcher

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by Magdroid, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Magdroid

Magdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a review I did of the ClockworkMod Launcher.
    Just to give those that were interested, a quick view of how it looks, and how it works!

I forgot to mention the Long Press on the Navigation Dots will bring up the Cards to switch screens.

Thank you

2. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,426
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    nice review Magdroid......

you are going to make me buy it aren't you : )

3. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I bought it as soon as I heard about it. I can honestly say I have not had 1 problem with it. Absolutely no noticeable lag. Looks great, from some of the other threads about it, it sounds like updates are in the mix to add the 4 fixed app icons. For 2 dollars it is well worth it.

4. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running this as my main home launcher on cyanogenrom and it's just flawless!

5. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,426
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    I'm really liking Helix right now. So I'll probably wait to see how this app evolves.

6. Magdroid

Magdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, I try my best CK. :) I just want to show people Alps that I stand behind. Much like Helix when it was released. Also, I wanted to show people exactly what they would be paying $$$ for. Not to mention...to get YOU to buy it!!!!

7. xandor

xandor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw in another thread that it was recommended to remove the icons/Widgets on your screens when installing. Did you do that or did you just leave them alone?

8. gatorbait

gatorbait Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried it out the other day and was very impressed. Absolutely zero lag, and the app drawer actually ran smoother than the stock app tray when I was running live backgrounds.

My only issue is that I noticed some decent battery drain coming from the app when I looked at my battery usage stats. Have you noticed the same thing?

9. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I like this Launcher also, but I have started to notice some lag and even freezing issues coming out of some apps. Try opening the gallery and/or camera app and then hit the back button and watch the lag or the occasional freeze for 10 seconds or more as it "refreshes" the home page. Try opening and backing out of the Gallery 3- 4 times and watch what happens.

Last night I did back to back tests with it vs the stock home and the difference was dramatic.. with CWM Launcher occasionally I had to stare at a my live wallpaper for up to 30 seconds before my widgets and apps would appear. Sometimes I had to hit the back button to get them to appear after waiting a loong time. The stock home always "snaps" back everytime. Using same LWP for both tests, no other changes.

One other small issue is when opening an app from the app drawer and then using the back button out of the app, the app drawer is still open and requires an additional back or home buttom press (or of course hitting the app drawer home button) to close the app drawer.

I am still a fan, but I hope this is addressed at some point. I have noticed that as the novelty of this Launcher fades I am going back to my stock Home more and more when I need to do things quickly :-(

#9 928Droid, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  10. Big Lou

Big Lou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why are people so obsessed with the 3d app drawer? It completely blows for power use. It takes longer to scroll, it doesn't scroll as long, and it adds an unnecessary animation after a scroll which prevents you from accurately selecting an app right away.

I for one think it was one of the best decisions for 2.1 to leave it off the Droid.

11. searayman

searayman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    totally agree with you, I def believe it is a waste

12. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for your review, nice to see it run. I am already addicted to helix with 7 screens, and therefor never visit the app tray, but that doesn't matter because you have it and I don't! Nice!

Search tags for this page
alps clockworkmod
clockwordmod launcher

clockworkmod launcher

clockworkmod reivew
clockworkmod review
what is clockworkmod launcher
what is clockworkmod launcher android