Review - ClockworkMod Launcher

Magdroid

Reaction score
Here is a review I did of the ClockworkMod Launcher.
Just to give those that were interested, a quick view of how it looks, and how it works!

[video=youtube;GPe1gdk4mKs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPe1gdk4mKs]YouTube - ClockworkMod Launcher for 2.1[/video]

I forgot to mention the Long Press on the Navigation Dots will bring up the Cards to switch screens.

Thank you

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
nice review Magdroid......

you are going to make me buy it aren't you : )

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought it as soon as I heard about it. I can honestly say I have not had 1 problem with it. Absolutely no noticeable lag. Looks great, from some of the other threads about it, it sounds like updates are in the mix to add the 4 fixed app icons. For 2 dollars it is well worth it.

R1Lover

Reaction score
I'm running this as my main home launcher on cyanogenrom and it's just flawless!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm really liking Helix right now. So I'll probably wait to see how this app evolves.

OP
M

Magdroid

Reaction score
nice review Magdroid......

you are going to make me buy it aren't you : )

LOL, I try my best CK. :) I just want to show people Alps that I stand behind. Much like Helix when it was released. Also, I wanted to show people exactly what they would be paying $$$ for. Not to mention...to get YOU to buy it!!!!

xandor

Reaction score
I saw in another thread that it was recommended to remove the icons/Widgets on your screens when installing. Did you do that or did you just leave them alone?

gatorbait

Reaction score
I tried it out the other day and was very impressed. Absolutely zero lag, and the app drawer actually ran smoother than the stock app tray when I was running live backgrounds.

My only issue is that I noticed some decent battery drain coming from the app when I looked at my battery usage stats. Have you noticed the same thing?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I like this Launcher also, but I have started to notice some lag and even freezing issues coming out of some apps. Try opening the gallery and/or camera app and then hit the back button and watch the lag or the occasional freeze for 10 seconds or more as it "refreshes" the home page. Try opening and backing out of the Gallery 3- 4 times and watch what happens.

Last night I did back to back tests with it vs the stock home and the difference was dramatic.. with CWM Launcher occasionally I had to stare at a my live wallpaper for up to 30 seconds before my widgets and apps would appear. Sometimes I had to hit the back button to get them to appear after waiting a loong time. The stock home always "snaps" back everytime. Using same LWP for both tests, no other changes.

One other small issue is when opening an app from the app drawer and then using the back button out of the app, the app drawer is still open and requires an additional back or home buttom press (or of course hitting the app drawer home button) to close the app drawer.

I am still a fan, but I hope this is addressed at some point. I have noticed that as the novelty of this Launcher fades I am going back to my stock Home more and more when I need to do things quickly :-(

Last edited:

Big Lou

Reaction score
Why are people so obsessed with the 3d app drawer? It completely blows for power use. It takes longer to scroll, it doesn't scroll as long, and it adds an unnecessary animation after a scroll which prevents you from accurately selecting an app right away.

I for one think it was one of the best decisions for 2.1 to leave it off the Droid.

searayman

Reaction score
Why are people so obsessed with the 3d app drawer? It completely blows for power use. It takes longer to scroll, it doesn't scroll as long, and it adds an unnecessary animation after a scroll which prevents you from accurately selecting an app right away.

I for one think it was one of the best decisions for 2.1 to leave it off the Droid.

totally agree with you, I def believe it is a waste

J

Johnly

Thx for your review, nice to see it run. I am already addicted to helix with 7 screens, and therefor never visit the app tray, but that doesn't matter because you have it and I don't! Nice!

armeddroid

Reaction score
This and Helix are my primaries. Right now I am using Clockwork and i have seen some of the issues that 928 was getting as well. But aside from that, this app is great. The Dot Navs are fast and the 3d looks and works well. It is a roller style app launcher. But honestly all of these home choosers are going to lack one thing while another has it.
Home++ - Power strip, multiple screens, option to eliminate notification bar, screen capture, Home screen switcher
But it does not support LWP unless you get an older version? and has quite a few force closes.
Helix - Shortcut bar, multiple screens, supports LWP and pretty snappy on speeds and also it has the Home screen switcher
Clockwork - 5 screens, supports LWP, fast, 3d App Launcher and Dot Navigation and Home Screen Switcher

So honestly..i like all 3. But each of them lack something. I am non rooted and i have no intentions to.. i need an app that delivers all of the goodies. So to me, these are all going to be subjective.
Currently I am using Clockwork. I heard of the same thing about the shortcuts to be added.
I would like the shortcuts, and the dot navis and the option to eliminate the notification bar and the screen capture. So..tell me of an app that delivers all.