Reverted to FRG01b - Can I stop the OTA update?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Phreon, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Phreon

Phreon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I originally updated my 2.1 Moto Droid v1 to 2.2 (FRG01B) with flash using the instructions here: Manual Android 2.2 Update for Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I was quite happy with this version, having rooted with UnstableApps tool (I got lazy) and running SetCPU, Busybox, etc. Stability was good and the system benchmarked just a little faster than a 2.1 Droid X

A 1.6 Meg OTA "Flash Update" appeared and not thinking too hard about it beyond, "Oh, who cares if I update flash", let it execute. Yes, stupid, stupid, stupid....we all know the outcome of that one.

I restored my Droid back to FRG01B using the instructions here: FRG01B.SBF for Droid courtesy of RootzWiki - Droid Releases - AllDroid Public Board - FRG01B.SBF for Droid courtesy of RootzWiki - Droid Releases - AllDroid Public Board - AllDroid.org > Home

So now I have my Droid restored to a stable build and rerooted, but of course am once again getting the angry pop-ups about that damned "Flash Upgrade". Since I'm quite happy with the phone as it is, is there any way to disable the OTA updates in this stock image. I'd be quite happy to leave it as it is. Where are the OTA files stored once they're downloaded?

I have BusyBox, EasyRoot, RomManager (new to me), Terminal Emulator, Wireless Tether and SetCPU installed and working correctly. I'm quite familiar with linux, but I'm green to the inner workings of Android.

Can I stick with this stock image or am I SOL and required to moved to a cooked ROM to get out from under Verizon's thumb?

Thanks,

Phreon

#1 Phreon, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. Phreon

Phreon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I was impatient when I posted the first message; a little worried the OTA patch would just go install itself eventually. I fixed the phone so it quits bugging me; here's how (note, the phone has to be rooted first!):

Post #14 of the following thread gives a good example, but requires pay software. I'm cheap. OTA notification WITH StopOTA.zip - BB0.4 - Android Forums

The gist of the above is to change the line "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys" to" ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys" in /system/build.prop

The instructions call for using "Root Explorer" to remount /system as read/write, since by default, it's read only (ro). I'm too cheap to buy software to simulate a few unix commands, however.

I copied /system/build.prop to /sdcard with ASTRO, opened it w/ my favorite text editor on my PC, edited the line and saved it. For good measure, I saved a copy of the unaltered file onto my PC first. Since /system is RO and the file is RO however, you have to issue a few commands from a command shell / terminal prompt. "Terminal Emulator" is free in the market and works fine.

In Terminal Editor or some other suitable command shell:

"su -" to get root shell access. If your phone isn't rooted, you can't do this. Likely you'll get a pop-up dialog requiring you to approve this.

"mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system" This remounts the /system directory as RW. Beware, you are now *nearly* free to screw up critical system files.

"cd /system" Self explanatory. Change directory to /system

"chmod 777 build.prop" This changes build.prop to RW (on a normal unix system, it would make it read, write, executable for root, owner, other)

"rm build.prop" YOU ARE DELETING build.prop. Be sure you have the edited version on your /sdcard and a copy of the original on your PC (if you're smart).

"cd /sdcard" Change dir to /sdcard

"cp build.prop /system" Copies your edited version of build.prop to /system where it belongs.

Exit out of Terminal Emulator and reboot the phone. After reboot, clear notifications and you're good to go. I haven't had another annoying "Install Update?" message pop-up since performing the above. Of course if Verizon updates the build again, you'll have to update the above line in build.prop to reflect it, or be annoyed by update messages once more. Just ask some poor schlub who's installed the latest update to send you a copy of the "ro.build.fingerprint" stanza from their copy of build.prop and insert it into yours.

All of the above only really matters if you want to stick with FRG01B or some other stock build. I might still go to a cooked ROM to get off of the Verizon treadmill, but not just yet.

Phreon

Search tags for this page

modify build.prop to stop over the air updates