Revert 2.1 Droid Multimedia Dock to 2.0.1

lastguy2getps2

Reaction score
Hey,

Long time reader first time poster. Did a seach couldn't find anything...

I recently updated my Droid to 2.1 via Cyanogenmod. Is it possible to keep the 2.1 software but change back to the 2.0.1 dock application when the droid is in the multimedia dock?

in other words how do I get from

l9632cc252b564c8eb86320.jpg

to

droid_dock.jpg

Mods please move if in wrong forum.

Hell Toupee

Reaction score
I'm doing this from memory so it might not be exact. This is what I did. If you don't have it get Root Explorer its a buck worth spending. Open RE go to /system/app make the file writable (button up top) find deskclock.apk NOT alarmclock.apk and long press it. Pick Rename and I just delete the 'k' off the end incase I need to restore it. This leaves the file but makes it invisble to the OS. Back out. Might need to reboot. It should revert back now.

On a side note this trick also works to get rid of apps in your app drawer such as, cardock, corpcal, email, amazon, IM. ,and visual vm. If you ever find you need these go in Rename add a 'k' and there you go. Hope this helps.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Why do you want to go to the old one by the way tho? Just curious because they are kinda the same thing but the new one seems more polished...

Hell Toupee

Reaction score
Two reasons for me. First I kinda like the look. But mostly I'm ocd and no matter what I do it shows the wrong city. Tried letting GPS find me, both zip codes, or city name and state. Always comes up with the city north or west of me. I put my zip in the old one and it works. I don't know why it just does.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
all you need to do is get a copy of the multimedia dock app from one of the other droid based roms and push into /system/app/ you might need alarmclock.apk. No need really to get rid if the 2.1 clock as you can choose which app the default to when you put tor droid into the dock.

OP
L

lastguy2getps2

Reaction score
all you need to do is get a copy of the multimedia dock app from one of the other droid based roms and push into /system/app/ you might need alarmclock.apk. No need really to get rid if the 2.1 clock as you can choose which app the default to when you put tor droid into the dock.

Thanks! How would one go about getting the old 2.0 apks without reflashing? I assume I can set the default once its popped in the dock...

In answer to some of the other questions in this thread. I feel the new dock clock is too small. I use this as an alarm clock and it is a lot easier to see the time when you wakeup in the morning on the 2.0.1...

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Thanks! How would one go about getting the old 2.0 apks without reflashing? I assume I can set the default once its popped in the dock...

In answer to some of the other questions in this thread. I feel the new dock clock is too small. I use this as an alarm clock and it is a lot easier to see the time when you wakeup in the morning on the 2.0.1...

It's possible, you just need to find a rom that has it included by default (out maybe an update.zip that has it). Then just unzip it instead of installing it and just take the apps out of the /system/app folder you get. After that it's a matter of just pushing it into your phone.

OP
L

lastguy2getps2

Reaction score

It's possible, you just need to find a rom that has it included by default (out maybe an update.zip that has it). Then just unzip it instead of installing it and just take the apps out of the /system/app folder you get. After that it's a matter of just pushing it into your phone.

Okay, I managed to find a update.zip that has the files (toook sooo long). I suppose the file I want is: Dock.apk. I managed to get it to /system/app yet the following occurs:

1) I can't install it (obviously)
2) I can't run it at all (crashes on boot)
3) Renaming Dock.apk to DeskClock.apk doesn't remedy the problem either.

Any ideas? There doesn't seem to be a Dock.apk on 2.1. In fact it seems as though the alarmclock application and dock.apk were combined into DeskClock.apk for the 2.1 update...

EDIT: Error message: "The application Multimedia Station (process.com.motorla.dock) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Okay, I managed to find a update.zip that has the files (toook sooo long). I suppose the file I want is: Dock.apk. I managed to get it to /system/app yet the following occurs:

1) I can't install it (obviously)
2) I can't run it at all (crashes on boot)
3) Renaming Dock.apk to DeskClock.apk doesn't remedy the problem either.

Any ideas? There doesn't seem to be a Dock.apk on 2.1. In fact it seems as though the alarmclock application and dock.apk were combined into DeskClock.apk for the 2.1 update...

EDIT: Error message: "The application Multimedia Station (process.com.motorla.dock) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
Hold on I'm going to try doing it, I have a bad feeling that we can't just push files to our app folder with the cyanogen ROM since it's compiled from source. I'll let you know what happens.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok scratch that earlier post lol I got it working fine?

Here's what I did step by step:

1) Download these Dock.apk and AlarmClock.apk (just to be sure everything is replicated) 2.0.1Clock_Dock.zip

3) Put the 2 .apk files into the root directory of your sdcard.

2) For the sake of ease I'm going to instruct you to do it via terminal emulator on the phone (cause I don't know if you have the SDK installed and can do adb commands). There are a few on the market. I personally love Connectbot, it free, gets the job done, and it's free (LOL). Type this lines one by one.

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cp /sdcard/Dock.apk /system/app/
cp /sdcard/AlarmClock.apk /system/app/
mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
sync
**reboot (optional if you want to take extra precaution lol, I didn't and it still worked)

Viola, 2.0.1 dock and alarm clock. You don't really need to install AlarmClock.apk if you don't want to but if you're going to click on the alarm clock button in the dock you're going to have to install it because you're going to get force closes.

OP
L

lastguy2getps2

Reaction score

1) Download these Dock.apk and AlarmClock.apk (just to be sure everything is replicated) 2.0.1Clock_Dock.zip

2) For the sake of ease I'm going to instruct you to do it via terminal emulator on the phone (cause I don't know if you have the SDK installed and can do adb commands). There are a few on the market. I personally love Connectbot, it free, gets the job done, and it's free (LOL). Type this lines one by one.

Code:
su
sync
**reboot (optional if you want to take extra precaution lol, I didn't and it still worked)
Viola, 2.0.1 dock and alarm clock. You don't really need to install AlarmClock.apk if you don't want to but if you're going to click on the alarm clock button in the dock you're going to have to install it because you're going to get force closes.

Sooo close. :( The alarm clock (2.0.1) works fine. Unfortunately multimedia dock is still crashing. When I put the phone in the dock I have an option to select Clock (normal 2.1) or Multimedia Dock (2.0.1 causes crash).

I didn't see a Dock.apk in the ZIP....only a DeskClock.apk (which I assume is 2.1)...

I've tried copying your commands using the Dock.apk I got from my update.zip (2.0.1) but to no avail....

Any ideas?

Thank you for all your help thus far.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Code:
su
sync

Sooo close. :( The alarm clock (2.0.1) works fine. Unfortunately multimedia dock is still crashing. When I put the phone in the dock I have an option to select Clock (normal 2.1) or Multimedia Dock (2.0.1 causes crash).

I didn't see a Dock.apk in the ZIP....only a DeskClock.apk (which I assume is 2.1)...

I've tried copying your commands using the Dock.apk I got from my update.zip (2.0.1) but no avail....

ok here's the fixed one must have accidentally picked the deskclock oneb by mistake. fixedclockdock.zip

try installing the dock.apk included first and see if it works if not you might have to delete the com file associated with the dock.apk (assuming there is one lol, I didn't really check lol I removed it after I got it to work). Clear out the dock app's "com" files from /data/data/ with root explorer

or with terminal:
Code:
cd /data/data
find . -name "*dock*" -print
rm insertappnamehere

If it's not finding it just list everything and try to find the name manually
Code:
cd /data/data
ls