Reverse DLNA

philnolan3d

Reaction score
I know you can stream video and such out to a TV, PS3, etc, but how about the other way around? Could I stream videos from my PC to my Phone, the same way I do with my PC / PS3?

listenman20

Reaction score
there is a slingbox app. i believe WMP can be set up to be a media server with your phone.

Technoman

Reaction score
there is a slingbox app. i believe WMP can be set up to be a media server with your phone.

Yes, You can setup WMP through the DLNA APP to play media either way.. phone to computer and computer to phone.

You will need to allow sharing on your PC in order to open.

OP
P

philnolan3d

Reaction score
Yes sharing is enabled because I use DLNA with my PC and PS3 over WiFi. but how do you do it with the Droid X?

I will look into the Slingbox app, I knew that existed but ignored it since I don't have a Slingbox.

Oh wait I figured it out. Now I just need to find some vids in the right format to test.

OP
P

philnolan3d

Reaction score
Well it was working, at least I could see the list of files on my PC , even if none of them played. Now when I get to the videos folder it jumps back to the phone folders and says there are no videos.

Edit:
OK it's just fincky. if there are any .MP4 files in the folder it will do what happened above. Take them out and it lists the files fine.

Technoman

Reaction score
Well it was working, at least I could see the list of files on my PC , even if none of them played. Now when I get to the videos folder it jumps back to the phone folders and says there are no videos.

Do you have actual videos that show up on your phone when you go to play a video? If not that seems to be a flaw I am also fighting.

I have lots of videos that I shot with my Droid 1 that I have copied over, but they will not show up on either the PC or my phone. Same with pictures that I have copied. That needs to be corrected.

OP
P

philnolan3d

Reaction score
Do you have actual videos that show up on your phone when you go to play a video? If not that seems to be a flaw I am also fighting.

Show up on the phone or on the PC? I can see the file names listed on the PC through the phone, but it just play any of them. The only videos on the phone are ones that I shot with the camera.

Edit: OK the same .MP4 problem hap-pens with .MOV

Technoman

Reaction score

Show up on the phone or on the PC? I can see the file names listed on the PC through the phone, but it just play any of them. The only videos on the phone are ones that I shot with the camera.

For the ones on the PC, they played fine on my phone. Do you have WMP setup for it to share media?

Open WMP, and at the top, locate STREAM, click the arrow, and ensure that both options are allowed.

OP
P

philnolan3d

Reaction score

Technoman

Reaction score
You can also try Orb. Here's their site >>> https://mycast.orb.com/orb/html/login.html?lang=en

Before Slingbox came out with their app this was another way you could watch tv from your Droid.

Orb does work, but the quality IMO was horrid.

The problem with Orb and I'm assuming Slingbox is that you're going over the internet which I assume would really slow things down vs. your home network with DLNA.

Nope, this was all internal to my network... never left my router.

I was using it to stream from my HAVA media box. I wish they would just get a damn APP out already.

Anyway, ORB did a horrible job of streaming that back to my Droid.

bastosero

Reaction score
Yeah, that was just the problem with using Orb. It wasn't the best in quality and had an annoying quirk or two, but it worked for the most part.