Returning my RAZR and going back to my DX...

GoBears

Reaction score
Anyone using a DX and wanting soft keys, check out Button Saviour on the market. it's very customizable and I used it all the time on my DX.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Say it ain't so, Jroc. It was good to have a voice of reason around here...

I'm in a similar situation, I come from Droid X and at the time thought it was the best phone ever (especially running DSX). My reason's for keeping the Razr are somewhat specific. My son was born at the end of this October, so I wanted a phone that could be better suited for his arrival. I've been on family leave for two months and was able to test out my phone under these specific conditions.

The feature upgrades over Droid X included:

Better camera: After over 300 pic and videos under low light conditions, the Razr camera is a lot better than X. Better exposure and less noise. Outside it's probably similar, but indoors - no contest. Miss the hardware shutter button, but it's a good compromise.

FFC: For when I go back to work.

Capacitive buttons: When trying to get a newborn to sleep, silent buttons are key. Did not know how much I missed them until I got the Razr. Can't handle the buttons on the X now...

Slim profile with a similar battery life: Since the majority of my days are on Wifi, this is still an unknown to me. But the test runs on 3G have been good (with Smart Actions, of course).

ACCESS to 4G: I knew that for MY use, I don't need constant access to high speed. My email and messages get pushed over 3G just fine. I don't constantly surf over 4G. But when I do need it, I wanted to know that I can access it.

GPS performance. The lock on the Razr is faster and more precise than on the X. I attribute it to the access to GLONASS satellite network as well as our own. A feature that is missed in a lot of reviews. Currently only Droid Razr and Galaxy Note (not Nexus) appear to be the only phones to use it. A great feature upgrade.

Screen (a very personal opinion). I just like the screen of Razr better than X. Some might not. I do.

And a very weird personal one: It fits into my Kuhl pants phone pocket better. An essential quality to me. Love those damn pants :)

But, I completely understand why would someone go back to the X. That phone is a beast, very well built, and very well developer supported.

Oh I'm not going anywhere....lol. Its just funny cuz I thought about it while all these outages were going on. RAZR has been good to me. I live n work in a bad reception area anyway so for me to manage battery life, 3G is getting more use than 4G for me. I use it like Wifi. I have Wifi at home, my apt is a virtual dead zone, so I'm used to only using 3G when I'm out the house. Now I use 4G out the house, but like Wifi, when I want or need the faster connection.

Forgot about the FFC...lol. I was only thinking about the speaker sounding louder and reception seeming to be better on my RAZR. Maybe I had a bad speaker on my DX1 but my RAZR is louder. And on top of those 2 things....the better version of Blur and the smoothness of the RAZR overall.. I couldnt go back to my DX1 as a daily phone. Only way I would is if I didnt see any improvements in functionality for me. And my DX1 screen washes out bad when viewing off center. As much as I liked LCD screens last year.....I am an Amoled fan now.

And for playing games...I actually miss the hard keys on my DX1. Too many accidental presses on capacitive screens is killing me...got a feeling it wont get any better with the G Nex.

Wopback

Reaction score
The lack of 4g coverage is extremely disappointing. I actually leave my Razr on 3g only. But the specs itself are definitely superior. I used my upgrade unfortunately too soon. I could've kept my inc2, but my wife wouldn't let her gorilla grip off my old phone, so I'm keeping my Razr, its not a bad thing, but I could've waited...anyone else miss their old 3g phone?????lol

Sent from my Chuck Norris approved Droid RAZR

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Well you wont be suffering to bad going back to the X! One of the most solid best phones ever made. It is strange that when changing to 3g only on a 4g phone it doesn't really help. It seemed like the OGD and the X could get a signal even if I were to go to the moon.

OP
GeneralZod

GeneralZod

Reaction score
Better camera: After over 300 pic and videos under low light conditions, the Razr camera is a lot better than X. Better exposure and less noise. Outside it's probably similar, but indoors - no contest. Miss the hardware shutter button, but it's a good compromise.
Agreed... the RAZR is a nice upgrade on the camera... plus the front-facing camera is a great addition. That said, I was hoping for a more significant upgrade between the RAZR and the DX.

Capacitive buttons: When trying to get a newborn to sleep, silent buttons are key. Did not know how much I missed them until I got the Razr. Can't handle the buttons on the X now...
Couldn't agree more.

Slim profile with a similar battery life: Since the majority of my days are on Wifi, this is still an unknown to me. But the test runs on 3G have been good (with Smart Actions, of course).
The slimmer profile is very nice, but quite honestly, I prefer the size of the DX (height x length) to the RAZR. Just feels better in my hand. Obviously, completely personal preference.

Screen (a very personal opinion). I just like the screen of Razr better than X. Some might not. I do.
I agree... the RAZR has the better screen. Again, similar to the camera, a more significant upgrade would have been nice.

equake

Reaction score
The 4G outages have plagued vzw this month and it has killed many a 4G fone from all the makers. I agree if you don't have 4g coverage than a good 3g fone is your best bet if you are a vzw customer.

But for an exD1 owner like me or even a DX The Razr is a significant upgrade. Ironically the D1 has a better PPI screen than the Razr but with the razr its visible outdoors in sunlite.

My 2 coins

benz0

Reaction score
Off topic here, you wouldn't have to be the "Zod" from the Carolina Panthers message forum?

OP
GeneralZod

GeneralZod

Reaction score
But for an exD1 owner like me or even a DX The Razr is a significant upgrade. Ironically the D1 has a better PPI screen than the Razr but with the razr its visible outdoors in sunlite.
The processor, the screen, Blur, and to a lesser extent the camera, are all much better. However, I still really like my DX. And for me, no increase in processor and screen quality is worth being without being without a data signal.

Off topic here, you wouldn't have to be the "Zod" from the Carolina Panthers message forum?
Nope. I'm a suffering San Diego Charger fan here.

Diordna

Reaction score
The lack of 4g coverage is extremely disappointing. I actually leave my Razr on 3g only. But the specs itself are definitely superior. I used my upgrade unfortunately too soon. I could've kept my inc2, but my wife wouldn't let her gorilla grip off my old phone, so I'm keeping my Razr, its not a bad thing, but I could've waited...anyone else miss their old 3g phone?????lol

Sent from my Chuck Norris approved Droid RAZR

I went from the Droid 1 rooted and overclock etc to the Droid razr... what a jump huh? Haha!

But hell no I don't miss it, and things I miss were because I rooted the hell out of it lmao

I just thought it was funny back then we all had to root and overclock our droids to get 700 (which was a lot faster and safer to people) to 1 gb worth. Now these new devices already have more than that. Can we just overclock these to 2 gbs while on 4g? I think we will finally create time travel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums