Returning my phone to Verizon... Unlocked bootloader?!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by tw15egan, Mar 20, 2012.

1. tw15egan

tw15egan New Member

Alright guys, my GNex's USB port stopped working.. it will charge fine, but will NOT connect to computer's USB port. Was working a few days ago, haven't installed anything new or downloaded any new apps, but now it will not connect. Verizon is sending me a replacement, and I am sending mine back to them. I was able to unroot and I have a stock 4.0.2 image on the phone now, but I cannot lock the boot loader without ADB which needs me to connect the phone to my computer. The only way you can tell is when it boots up there is a little 'unlocked' icon underneath the Google image.

Will Verizon hassle me because the bootloader is unlocked?
  2. Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996 New Member

They might insinuate that you attempted root and messed it up, but if you didn't do it, you didn't do it. That's if anyone even takes the time to look for it. I read somewhere that they really don't prioritize looking for root related problems unless you've been through a few phones. Stick your guns and you'll be good.
  3. tw15egan

tw15egan New Member

Yeah like I said, the phone is fully wiped and I have tried installing root apps, and it won't let me, so I'm assuming that means there is no root. It's a hardware problem, so I hope they don't try and pull that...
  4. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Never heard of a phone being sent back unlocked. If they know how to tell then you may get hassled.
  5. tw15egan

tw15egan New Member

According to some other posts I've seen, some people have sent in phones that were still rooted, but they could have been bricked and no way to tell that they were indeed rooted... Guess I just have to wait..
  6. Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996 New Member

I would take a little more time trying to return it to factory settings if you can afford to do so. Although it may not be detected, if it is, your warranty is void and the phone will simply be sent back. Try looking here, How to UNRoot and Lock the Samsung Galaxy Nexus! - YouTube this video may be of assistance.
  7. tw15egan

tw15egan New Member

Believe me I would love to follow those instructions, but they all require a USB connection. Like I said, I am completely back to factory settings EXCEPT the bootloader is still unlocked, and the only way to do that is via fastboot
  8. Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996 New Member

My bad, i totally forgot about your pooched usb. Is there a backup you can access from a point where all root functions/usb were functioning properly? I would resotre that and go from there. I know that simple and you've probably tried, but OCD demands I point that out.
  9. tw15egan

tw15egan New Member

No worries man, it's all good! Yeah, I tried pretty much everything to get the USB port to work, but it seems pretty shot. Was just wondering if anyone had similar experiencing sending things back..
  10. Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996 New Member

Everything I've ever sent back was in factory condition, but as I said, I did hear that it's not something that even always gets checked.
  11. tw15egan

tw15egan New Member

Maybe they will just look away for a few moments when the phone is booting and not realize it :)

From my searching, it seems some people have even been sent bootloader-unlocked phones straight from Verizon, so I am 80% sure I will be fine! Was just hoping for reassurance for my phone-related anxiety
  12. dezymond

Are you able to move this thread to the Galaxy Nexus section? You might find more answers there. If not maybe a Mod can help out by moving it, it's up to you though tw15egan
  13. tw15egan

tw15egan New Member

Eh, I've already tried anything device specific, I was just wondering about other people's experiences with Verizon Tech Support and rooted phones. Thanks though!
  14. UltraDroid

UltraDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree. If they want to, they may be able to deny your warranty claim. You're better off searching for a way to return the phone to stock before you send it back.
  15. tw15egan

tw15egan New Member

There is absolutely no way to lock a bootloader, except through ADB. ADB requires a USB connection, and my USB port is dunzo
  16. dezymond

Yup.

Which is weird because I hear of numerous people unrooting and no USB problems. Even when they re-installed the drivers it got working again.

Good luck though
  17. MarioMaster08

MarioMaster08 New Member

Actually you can lock the bootloader on the Galaxy Nexus without a USB cable if you have root.

This app can lock/unlock the GNex bootloader from any rooted ROM:
    [APP][2013-03-08][root][GNex/Dev] BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices -- version 1.3.1 - xda-developers

I know you said you unrooted but if you can re-root then this should work. Re-rooting w/out a USB cable may be hard, but if you still have a custom recovery that would be the easiest way. Otherwise you might be able to enable "ADB over network" in the developer settings (I have it in mine, but that may just be a CyanogenMod feature). If it works then you might be able to perform this exploit:

[HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] How to root without unlocking bootloader (for ITL41D to JRO03O) - xda-developers

Also I think you may be confusing fastboot and adb. Fastboot is capable of locking the bootloader, but requires a usb cable. adb is not directly capable of locking the bootloader, but it can be used w/out a USB cable. In otherwords even though you might be able to use ADB without a USB cable the only way you can lock the bootloader without a usb cable is with the app in the first link and root.
Search tags for this page

does verizon check returned phones

droid razr unlocked bootloader verizon

myphone boot loader

return phone with unlocked bootloader

returned bricked galaxy to veriozen

returning lock phone that been unlock

returning phone with unlocked bootloader

returning unlocked phone

verizon returning unlocked phone

verizon unlocked phone warranty

what does verizon check when you send a phone in for warrant