returning ex-rooted phone to verizon

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jatx2wne, May 28, 2010.

1. jatx2wne

jatx2wne Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So i just want to make sure i cover all my bases before bringing my phone back to verizon for a replacement hopefully.
    1. I flashed the 2.0.1 sbf and upgraded to 2.1
    2. I format my sdcard so that there is no evidence on there of nandroids and so on and so forth.
    3. I create a new gmail account so that all the apps that are only root access apps are no longer attached to my phone.
    I dont know if this is overkill or not i just want to make sure i dont get screwed and they find out i was rooted at one point.
  2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +1
    You definitely have all your bases covered. I just returned my husband's droid for a replacement last week (after I unrooted it of course). They didn't even look at the sd card or the google account. they looked at the phone and what it wasn't doing then placed the order and gave me the defective phone back. Told me that once the replacement comes to pull my sd card and battery and return the defective phone.

From what I understand, what is on your sd card is your business same with your google account. They do not have a right to look at the contents of either.
  3. JJenson

JJenson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I personally would not take the sd card in at all. We did that once and they didn't replace that so we had to buy another one cause they took it. Maybe that is just me but I would defiantly keep that.
  4. jatx2wne

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you very much for the quick and very helpful answer my phone is basically in a permanent bootloop. I can flash the sbf and it will boot up but after that once it turns off it will not turn back on. The only other issue i may be concerned with is last night i was able to get it to update to 2.1 and reboot. Today so far i flashed 2.0.1 then allowed the update to install and now i cant get it to boot back up should i be concerned about that at all?
  5. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are lucky enough to get an on the spot replacement then when they go to boot up the replacement it will come up with a box that says the sd card is not installed. That will prompt them to get your sd card out of your old phone.

But again, the way I understand it, they have no rights to look at the contents of your sd card or your google account. So I think you are good even if you didn't format the sd card.
  6. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    Your phone sat on the charger overnight? A low battery can cause boot issues. They may even just swap out your battery if that is the issue.

My first never been rooted phone did a boot cycle thing whenever it was in sleep mode. They took my card out in the store, took out the battery, and put those two into a replacement phone. Nobody looked at apps.

However, if you really want to be cautious you can also download metal detector, suduko, urbanspoon and a couple of other apps. A totally clean phone would look suspicious to me:)

The others are right though, they won't even look. If the phone doesn't operate correctly they will just swap you for a new one.
  7. jatx2wne

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah it was on the charger overnight. The whole issue started when i couldnt load a nandroid it would get stuck at unpacking data. So i flashed 2.0.1 then upgraded then flashed sprecovery and no such luck on restoring a nandroid again. Now the phone is at a point where basically the only way it will boot up is after flashing the 2.0.1 file and it reboots itself. If i try to allow the update to install it wont reboot.
    edit*** so i am now back on 2.0.1 because when i allow the update the phone just bootloops. Do you guys just think i should allow the update right before i am ready to go to the store which i am thinking will send it back into the bootloop. for now i am staying on 2.0.1 because i need a phone until i can get to a store so my plan is to just leave it as is since it is working.
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  8. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    history: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...re-nandroids-using-sprecovery.html#post509477

2.1 may leave remnants of 2.01 behind. In the other threads you mentioned using a custom sbf file to get to stock 2.1 ("why not I'm was recovering anyways"). This is the only thing I can think of that is messing you up. No reboot issue until you go to 2.1. You didn't have the problem before so it was introduced to your phone and kicks in when you take the OTA update to 2.1

Use RSD Lite to flash another stock 2.1 SBF file, such as the one in link 3 of my signature. Reboot your phone a few times, make sure it is ok. Then take the 2.1 OTA update and see how it goes.

Then, get SPRecovery installed. See if your nandroids work. If they don't create a new one and then see if you can restore that one. That should tell you if it is sprecovery or your files that were causing that issue.

Let us know how you make out, good luck!
  9. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5
    If anyone asked to look at my google account, I would have to tell them get bent. :icon_ banana:
  10. jatx2wne

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you guys for the last couple replies my gmail account had had me worried but the more I read the less I worry about it. I will try flashing that 2.1 sbf when I get home so I will atleast be on 2.1 but I am skeptical of it fixing whatever the problem is because since this while issue started the only way this phone will reboot is directly after flashing an sbf. Im not sure as to why that would be and why it would boot after that but not reboot again on its own but that has been my findings and I have flashed sbfs quote a few times making sure that it will be stuck in a bootloop when i go to verizon. With that I will continue testing today because I cant get to a store until tomorrow. I think I posted this in the other thread but I also font understand why I now have like 5 bad blocks when I adb format data but im thinking that may be part of the problem. Anyways thanks for all the help guys and gals. Back to work for now ilk check back later.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. naykam0810

naykam0810 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have returned 3 rooted droids to my local verizon store and they dont even look at the phone. The only thing I did was wipe data and kept the old sd card. Good luck with that.
Search tags for this page
returning a defective rooted phone

returning a rooted phone

returning a rooted phone to verizon

returning rooted phone

returning rooted phone to verizon
verizon return rooted phone