Returning Droid 2 to stock?

psyhcopig

Reaction score
By chance is there a stock update.zip or something somewhere? I won't be home for a while, but would like to return to stock. Currently running Liberty 1.5.

Any advice to restore to stock would be great? Hell, even a user uploaded restore file would be awesome at the moment.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Did you make a backup after you rooted?

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
psyhcopig

psyhcopig

Reaction score
Ah. Forgot to mention the backup was at home. But I realized there was a backup stored on the phone as well for the bootstrap, reverted back and good to go, But I do believe there needs to be a return to stock sticky guide with a stock update.zip so people can easily return to default.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
"Stock update.zip" would be a sbf and there are guides for that :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

zinogotti

Reaction score
i was going to root my device and i forgot to backup the original rom. now i am stuck in limbo. where can i find an original rom for the Droid x at?

ek_skotous

Reaction score
OK so I have a Droid 2 that has been rooted and bootstrapped and flashed to the squidlymandango Droid2 ROM. I have been running the squidly ROM for a couple of months now. However, I have decided for the time being to return back to the Stock (rooted ROM). I made a nandroid backup after I was rooted/bootstrapped and also have a recent Titanium backup of my apps. I wanted to return to the stock rooted ROM with my Nandroid backup and then restore my apps

I booted into clockwork recovery. I mounted the partitions, cleared the cache and did a factory reset. I then tried restoring my Nandroid bakup of the stock ROM.

It was making good progress at first but now it has been hung at Restoring data.... 6df36eba. Originally the hex codes were flashing by as it was restoring as a sign of progress but it has now been stuck on this hex code for about two hours so it appears hung. It did not take near this long to either create the original nandroid or load the custom Squidlymanadango ROM. Having never tried the Nandroid restore though I am not exactly sure what to expect.

I am afraid of leaving it too long and possibly killing my battery since I dont know if it can charge while in bootstrap

I was at about 80% charge when I started

What are my options at this point? Do I now have to SBF? Do I reload a different nandroid backup I have after the Squidly ROM load? Is the stock rooted nandroid backup useless? If so, then what is the point of a rooted stock nandroid if I can't use it.

Do I reboot and try the restore again? What do I need to clear or format before the restore? I have been searching this forum and the internet for a couple hours now and can't seem to find any good information on the exact steps to restore from a nandroid backup of stock rooted ROM.

This thread was the closest hit I found

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

ek_skotous

Reaction score
So I finally decided to pull the battery and force a reboot.

It seemed to come up with the stock ROM (verified with About phone)

But can I trust it since the restore appeared to hang?

I am just not sure how it was supposed to work.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

My home and search buttons are not working so something is definitely wrong. If possible I want to avoid the SBF, and reroot - that's why I was careful to make the nandroid backup after rooting. Should I try the nandroid again or were my efforts in vain?

Thanks,

ek

Last edited:

ek_skotous

Reaction score
Thanks hookbill. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I appreciate it.

I already downloaded the .SBF a while back from that same post so I would have it "just in case". I have never tried it before though.

I have Windows 7 64bit on my home PC. Do you happen to know which version of RSD Lite I should use with the SBF?

Thanks,

ek

ek_skotous

Reaction score
I went to a second PC with Windows XP and I was able to do the SBF from there.

Thanks,

ek