Retaining Old App Versions?

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
So, my replacement Maxx is on the way due to my battery swelling issue. I'm faced with the prospect of offloading as much data as possible from my dying Maxx to the new one. One thing that comes to mind is apps...

There are maybe a dozen or so apps I have which I haven't updated for some time - usually due to increased permissions required by the newer versions. Now, in order to have all the same apps on my new phone, I'll have to re-download and install them all. Is there a way to get older versions, or will I be stuck accepting all the versions I previously rejected? Could this be averted somehow by transferring data from the old phone to the new one?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
There are several apps that allow you to archive apps BEFORE you have a problem just for that reason but after you have a problem it may only be possible if you had been rooted.

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
There are several apps that allow you to archive apps BEFORE you have a problem just for that reason but after you have a problem it may only be possible if you had been rooted.

The old phone is still currently functioning, but not rooted. Any help would be appreciated, since I'll only have a few days to make the transfer before having to send the dying phone back.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't want to throw a wet blanket on the situation as it may still work, but, many of those apps would only allow you to restore to the same phone they were archived from. Like you said, it's worth a shot.

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
It allowed me to save the installed apks in a folder, which I transferred to the removable SD. Upon switching the SD to the new phone, I should be able to install those, no?

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
Not sure if astro requires root or not, but it backs up apps. Just the apk's, no data. Root is always my first priority, so I've never tested it without root.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Make sure during your new phone startup you leave unchecked the options for Google restore and backup or it will begin downloading the newest versions of your installed apps automatically.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
So, it actually worked, and very well. It saved my installed apps as .apks, and I transferred those to the new phone and installed with a file browser. No root required. Barkleyfan, you are correct that it doesn't transfer any user data, but all I really wanted was the older versions. There were a couple cases where I alos transferred user data manually from associated folders. 2THEXTRM, I forgot about that and had the newest versions installed automatically, but managed to install the older .apks to replace them. Everything seems to be working fine after ~2 days, at least. Fingers crossed.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I use Astro for backing up .apk's sometimes which works great but if you have root, TiBu is the best for app + data transfer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

moset

Reaction score
It's a bit after the fact i guess, but appmonster will back up your apps and keep older versions that can be restored at any time. It does not require root for this to work. You can set a limit on how many versions to keep and it will back up automatically at the time of install of any new app.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4