Restrict Background Data keeps turning back on

bocabean

Reaction score
I do not know if this problem is attributable to the Jelly Bean update or to having finally rooted my phone. Perhaps a combination of the two. I rooted within a day or two after the update. Since that time, I have been frequently getting the notice regarding restrict background data. In another post, I saw a recommendation to go into System Settings>Data Usage>Menu and then unchecking the Restrict background data box. The problem is that somehow, the box is frequently being rechecked on its own.

Perhaps this is related to the Battery Saver function in SmartActions. Prior to root and JB update, my battery lasted a lot longer without having to use the Battery Saver function. I had a number of customized setups for Smart Actions, none of which required invoking the a smart action restriction. I have not yet taken the time to set them up again, so only the Battery Saver (which is active) and Sleep (which is in ready state) are shown.

Has anyone else experience this problem, and if so and you have been able to permanently resolve it, please let me know what you did.

Thanks.

'Bean

GotnFX

Reaction score
I do not know if this problem is attributable to the Jelly Bean update or to having finally rooted my phone. Perhaps a combination of the two. I rooted within a day or two after the update. Since that time, I have been frequently getting the notice regarding restrict background data. In another post, I saw a recommendation to go into System Settings>Data Usage>Menu and then unchecking the Restrict background data box. The problem is that somehow, the box is frequently being rechecked on its own.

Perhaps this is related to the Battery Saver function in SmartActions. Prior to root and JB update, my battery lasted a lot longer without having to use the Battery Saver function. I had a number of customized setups for Smart Actions, none of which required invoking the a smart action restriction. I have not yet taken the time to set them up again, so only the Battery Saver (which is active) and Sleep (which is in ready state) are shown.

Has anyone else experience this problem, and if so and you have been able to permanently resolve it, please let me know what you did.

Thanks.

'Bean

Does it do it all the time?

OP
bocabean

bocabean

Reaction score
I believe that I just found the answer. I hadn't taken a close enough look at the settings for Battery Saver in Smart Actions. There is an action turned on which is called Adjust Background data, and is set to "Only when I'm using that app". The green comment also says that it saves the most battery.

To me, this is ironic because I had never used this option previously and yet now my battery drains faster than it ever did before.

GotnFX, I can't say that it is "all the time" but it has been frequent enough to be annoying. I am, however, confident that it is entirely attributable to the Smart Action setting that I noted above.

So I suppose that I have a choice: leave it set where it is, and be constantly "annoyed" with the restrict data message or, turn if off and watch the battery drain like an open spigot. Has anyone given a real look yet at the new Blackberry Z?

GotnFX

Reaction score
GotnFX, I can't say that it is "all the time" but it has been frequent enough to be annoying. I am, however, confident that it is entirely attributable to the Smart Action setting that I noted above.

You can delete that trigger..or add an action to where it only triggers the restriction when the battery hits low..you can even change at what %.

BTW...haven't seen the Z, is out?

OP
bocabean

bocabean

Reaction score
Thanks GotnFX, I know that I can delete the trigger, however the choice is whether or not I want to take advantage of everything that will preserve battery life.

With respect to the Z, I do not know if it is on the street yet or not. I noticed that the CEO of Blackberry was being interviewed about it on Pierce Morgan (CNN). I had been a loyal BB user for years until the first Droid came out in 11/09. I was an early adapter of the OG Droid (hence my Avatar), but within a month or so I had to go back to the BB. When my contract ended this past June I converted back to Droid. I am interested in seeing the new Z first hand to compare it to my Maxx. However, Android has come so far in the past few years that it would have to be very impressive for me to even consider going back.

I am also too comfortable with the Razr, Lapdock 500, and my tablet 10.1, so there isn't an overwhelming need to switch now. Also, I just spotted an article somewhere that says that the UK gov't is not comfortable with the security of the Z. Stay tuned...!