Restoring via Titanium

b4ux1t3

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm not entirely sure where this post to go, but I figure general discussion is my best bet.

Anyway, I recently rooted my phone in order to uninstall the bloatware. That went just fine, I'm happy to say. I am about to uninstall all the bloatware, but I have some reservations. I know that I have technically voided my warranty already, and I don't plan on ever needing to use my warranty. However, I still want to back-up the bloatware apps using Titanium, just in case (I'm one of those people).

I have performed my backup, but I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself in to before I start deleting things willy nilly. This is how I understand it:

1. As long as I have Titanium installed, I should be able to restore my phone, unroot it, and essentially have it appear as though it was never rooted in the first place.

2. If I go through the process mentioned in number 1, my phone would be exactly as I had it right before I rooted it. Thus, a Verizon representative would not know that it had been rooted, and would still honor my warranty. (This is going off of a friend I have who allegedly did the same thing. I do not entirely trust his story) Once again, I don't plan on anything happening, as the phone has already lasted 7 months. I just like having my bases covered.

3. I can store my back-ups on my computer in order to assure redundancy.

Any further advice/criticism is greatly appreciated.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok a few questions here.....How did you root and did you run a full backup directly after rooting? Do you understand the differences between titanium backup's and a nandroid backup?

If your answer is no to both of these I would suggest following the link in my signature regarding rooting the D2....you have already rooted which is awesome....but there are steps there I have listed that you should follow. In addition I think by reading it you will answer all your own questions.

But....to provide a fast answer....if you made a nandroid or full backup directly after rooting....then made a backup with Titanium....you SHOULD be good to go.

Please.....just read this thread....it's the one I was mentioning in my signature but here is link.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/124643-very-easy-guide-rooting-backup-rom-flashing-d2.html

OP
b4ux1t3

b4ux1t3

Reaction score
I do not know the difference, and I'm clicking the link right now to check it out. I rooted using this method, which was recommended to me by several Droid owning buddies. I tried rooting once before, with SuperOneClick, but it didn't work correctly. So far, this method has worked perfectly.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
the doroot way is fine as well. For D2's I just use Z4root but that is irrelevant at this point....you are rooted.

Congrats by the way on rooting your own device. It wont seem like much later for that is a big first step for a "newb"....and trust me....we have all been there before. Did you feel that clinch in your stomach when you initiated the root for the first time?

OP
b4ux1t3

b4ux1t3

Reaction score
I did actually. :D It was very exciting. I'm currently backing up, and I think I'm going to try out Liberty.

Anyone able to tell me if I will be able to entirely hide the fact that it was rooted if a (warranty-related) problem arises?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure sbf is the only way to completely wipe any evidence of modding but i could be wrong. Also not a good idea to remove bloatware. Just freeze it. If you remove it you won't be able to get any ota updates
By the way, liberty is the best! You will love it for sure. Make sure you do your research though. I read and watched vids on youtube for 3 weeks after rooting just to make sure I knew how to sbf and make backups and theme blah blah blah.. maybe I'm just overcautious, but it is a $600 phone.

Sent from my Liberated DROID2. Support team Liberty!

Last edited:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I pretty much covered that in the thread. I updated it slightly and it might have been while you were reading it so you many not have seen the changes.

One easy way is to SBF then remove the few things that are left over....which isn't much if any.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure sbf is the only way to completely wipe any evidence of modding but i could be wrong. Also not a good idea to remove bloatware. Just freeze it. If you remove it you won't be able to get any ota updates

The comment here about just freezing rather than removing is a very good idea. I should have mentioned I didn't remove ANY bloatware....but I do have a ton of apps frozen including the Blockbuster app, facebook, skype, and several others....pretty much all the bloat is frozen and hidden via LPP

OP
b4ux1t3

b4ux1t3

Reaction score

As far as I can gather, sfb is a system boot file. I'm not entirely sure what it does. Unless it will get you in trouble, can you explain how that would wipe the evidence? Or, at the very least, explain what it is and why it seems to be illegal/taboo. I Googled it and couldn't find anything helpful.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
When you SBF your phone it puts your device back in the exact same state it was in when you opened the box for the very first time and inserted your battery.....pretty freakin stock

OP
b4ux1t3

b4ux1t3

Reaction score
One more question for you guys, while I have you here:

If I move my contacts and apps over to my SD card, do I get to keep them when installing a new ROM? If not, how do I go about backing up contacts (since apps are easily re-obtained by Titanium)?

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your Contacts should be sync'd with your Google account. Providing this is the case your contacts will appear in your phone the moment you sign back into your gmail account.

OP
b4ux1t3

b4ux1t3

Reaction score
I ran into a problem. I loaded Liberty, but I forgot to re-wipe my user data. I tried booting into recovery, (i.e. holding x and power button), but I just see a triangle with an Android next to it. Blah. How do I get back to the recovery screen?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. :)

Last edited:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok.....what did you do replace the "x" with the up arrow? Or did you have to do the search button thing?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
It seems like the search button thing. So are you good now? About the contacts thing. Yes it should sync but i like to export my contacts to sd so I can just import on flashing a rom.