restore desktop icons and widget settings from Launcher to Launcher pro

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by siuppdens, Jun 17, 2010.

1. siuppdens

siuppdens New Member

Hi all,
    is there a way to transfer all the icons/shortcuts/widgets from the default Froyo launcher, to LauncherPro beta ?
    Is there some app, in general, which allows to do something like saving and restoring desktop configurations ?

Moto Droid + Froyo + SmokedGlass + LauncherPro beta

Alessandro
  2. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

I don't believe so. A launcher is its own app, it has its own APK, it stores its own data, and I think that such configurations cannot be transferred.

Some launchers let you mess with widgets and icons in ways the default launcher cannot, I think that is an indication that there is not a compatibility there.
  3. siuppdens

siuppdens New Member

I see,
    it would be nice to create some kind of standard for launchers , in their installation dir or something like that. After all, launchers are not that different between eachothers. Icons, folders and wigdets pretty much share the same information like position (x,y), desktop (1-7), the app they are linked to and maybe something more, but shouldn't be that much more than that theoretically.
    Anyway, thank you for you answer ohioDroid :)

Alessandro
  4. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

They may be close to the same, but when various Android models have different size screens, different resolutions, etc., the launchers take on different appearances.

Plus, Launcher Pro is one kind of launcher that lets you change how many rows and columns of icons that you have. The x and y position, thus, wouldn't translate to any other launcher.
  5. siuppdens

siuppdens New Member

well yes , the standard should include some very simple rule like ...
    if the row of this icon is bigger than "screen rows" then ... do something like, find the closest position ? :) Or if the desktop assigned to this icon is 7 , but we have only 3 ... find any available space in the closest desktop ?
    And if there is no room at all, send a warning saying "you cannnot do it!" :) At least you can choose !

I mean, any computer OS which has a Desktop manager has icons. And it allows changing the screen resolution without losing all the icons. Something like that.
    Android is Linux after all :)
Search tags for this page
android desktop reset
android reset desktop
android reset desktop icons

android reset icons

android restore desktop widgets
how to reset android desktop
how to restore desktop icons androids

reset android desktop

reset desktop android

reset icons android