resetting phone

pdaniel219

Reaction score
Thus is kind of a general question, but I'm hoping someone can answer this for me. I used to reboot my old phone at least once every 2 days. It would get really slow and laggy. I've had my RazrM on for 9 days straight and there is no lag or slowdown at all. Its probably a good idea to turn it off occasionally, but I'm just wondering if its necessary. Does anyone else turn theirs off and back on after a certain number off days? Is there a protocol on this and I'm just unaware? I'm really impressed with this phone and I want to keep it running just like it is now.

Spey

Reaction score
I think there's a significant difference between your thread title and what I think you are asking resetting vs. rebooting.
Example levels of "resetting":
Rebooting Device - simple shut-down & restart (like rebooting computer).
Clearing Device Cache (Wipe Cache Partition - Application Cache) App specific, or for all app's (user option).
Resetting Device - in my mind is setting back to an earlier time (factory reset, incremental reset, etc.).

I think what you are asking, in my mind, akin to restarting your computer - allows the operating system to put everything back where it belongs and by default closes all running apps. In general, I would say the more different apps you run the more things begin to slow down (and benefit from a fresh start, and/or clearing the various cache locations also). The more apps you load, the fuller internal drive becomes, the more app cache is used, the more apps request updating, the more potential you have for slow-downs, etc.

Depending on specifics of your device and how you use it, simple rebooting should be part of your schedule - frequency based on specific need (maybe daily, weekly, etc.). Same goes for the other levels of "resetting" the device.

Regards,

Last edited:
OP
pdaniel219

pdaniel219

Reaction score
Thanks Spey. That is what i was asking. Should have been more clear. Just a simple reboot. I was just thinking that its gotta do some good to reboot whether its needed or not. Just trying to feel out other users to see if people have a good experience with a set schedule or if its one of those "if its not broke, don't fix it" things. Thanks for the response.

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
Alright now lets say you do need to restart your phone everyday due to heavy variety of usage, does that affect the phone negatively in any way?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Android phones should be restarted once a day anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
pdaniel219

pdaniel219

Reaction score
Once a day! Wow! That's pretty often considering mine ran for 9 days without a slowdown. But I did notice the RAM before and after I rebooted. Had WAY more free RAM after. Thank you. I'll reboot way more often now.