Research Lab Says Moto X Has ‘best performance observed in a mobile display to date’

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 16, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

ABI Research recently performed an analysis and teardown of the Moto X which revealed some intriguing results. According to their assessment, the Moto X has several impressive engineering feats. One of the things they were most impressed with was that the device is small for Android standards, yet it still offers excellent battery life despite its high-definition AMOLED display.

That's not all they praised about the device. Jim Mielke of ABI indicated that the Moto X has the "best performance observed in a mobile display to date." He elaborated,

It's amazing to realize just how innovative Motorola has been with this device. It's easy to get caught up in the typical marketing fantasy of high-end devices requiring ultra-processors and tons of RAM. Sometimes the subtle innovations which happen behind the scenes are under-appreciated. What do you guys think?

Source: ABI Research

• Like Like x 3
  2. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +678
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    I bought one of these for my wife and I can't keep my hands off it. Don't get me wrong, I love my Note 3, but the Moto X is a fantastic device.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

Ratings:
    +199
    Mine was delivered to the house today. Can't wait to get home and get my hands on it!

4. djspy

djspy Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I guess this also applies to the new DROIDs?

5. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Had one and liked it but camera was not to my liking so I sold it. It is a nice device though!

6. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +329
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL & C
    I'm a phablet guy through and through now, but I can tell even in the vids how nice the new Moto's are!

7. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Just wish display was at least 5inches. So smooth. Feels great in the hand.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

8. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +951
    I can't even explain just how much I am loving my new Maxx. The screen is just gorgeous and the response time is awesome. I think Moto did something right with these phones for sure!

Sent from my Droid Maxx

• Like Like x 1
  9. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    OK, I've already eaten enough humble pie about how disappointed I was by the X, so I won't labor the point. I was wrong (mostly).

This ^^

Almost the same for me (swap out Note 3 and insert HTC One). But it's awesome that I get to play with two phones at the same time! I have to agree with xxwabbit that the X feels better in the hand, but I'm definitely happy with the custody arrangement my wife and I have. Either way, I'm particularly impressed about the voice always-on feature (and dedicated processor).

My original rant against the X is that it fell so far short of the real potential that Google has (primarily data-mining and usability). Plus I think it was over-hyped. But in hindsight I'll definitely admit that it's a very positive step in the right direction. I'm sorry that we'll have to wait another 3-5 years before we see the REAL Google phone, but at least things are moving forward.

-Matt

• Like Like x 2
  10. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Current Phone Model:
    Sony Xperia Z3
    I still don't understand their decision to embed the battery nor the lack of microSD slot. Just makes it feel more like a downgrade than an upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Have to agree with him ^ on lack of an SD card slot. As much as cloud storage is the wave of the future, it's problematic, requires constant connection and use of bandwidth to keep photos and other data backed up, and the risk of a phone crash requiring a full FDR and wipe causing loss of irreplaceable data is scary. I put ALL my important data out onto the removable SD card, and even do backups of SMS, Phone Log and APKs to the card, just in case I do have to wipe or a system update goes awry.

As for the lack of removable battery I personally prefer the case and battery to be fused together as my RAZR and RAZR MAXX were. There's less to worry about and it simply feels more solid. I don't like carrying around an extra battery in my pocket everywhere (like I now have to do with my new SGS4 - usually dead by this time at night), and who wants to deal with all that? Personally if I'm going to carry around a spare battery I'd rather (and do), keep an external battery pack (RavPower 10,000 mAh), in the car so it's with me all the time and ready for a boost charging session. I also have a car-mount that charges the phone when it's in the mount, and if I'm out on a long excursion I take the backup and put it into the backpack or computer bag.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Vepaot

Vepaot Silver Member

Ratings:
    +258
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G5 (LS992)
    I don't see why you'd want to limit yourself by carrying a spare battery pack that has to be plugged into your phone VS carrying around a spare battery that can just be popped into the device itself, making it less clunky and intrusive.

The same logic applies to the microSD card slot issue. If you need the extra storage space, you can buy a USB OTG cable and mount a flash drive. But like a portable USB battery, it's one of those things where it's sticking out of the device by a wire whenever you want to use it.

Search tags for this page
connecting thru wifi from moto g prepaid to internet on my l
droid ultra teardown

flipsnack

pacman