Requesting assistance with ADB in Ubuntu 10.04

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Dudeicus_Maximus, May 27, 2010.

1. Dudeicus_Maximus

Dudeicus_Maximus New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [SOLVED] Requesting assistance with ADB in Ubuntu 10.04

My Droid Eris connected fine through ADB. But my Droid does not. I get ???????????? no permissions

I have root. ADB works without a hitch in Windows. The Eris connects through ADB on Ubuntu as well. The Droid shows up as "Motorola PCS" in response to the lsusb command.

I've done some searching and the popular fixes yield no result:

Editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules doesn't work
    Editing (creating) /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules doesn't work, nor does 55-android.rules or anything else I name it.

Does anyone else use Ubuntu 10.04?

I just use Windows when I need to do this, but it would be nice if I didn't have to.

Thanks for your time

#1 Dudeicus_Maximus, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. Dinomight

Dinomight New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Start adb server with permissions

I ran into this same problem. If i remember correctly you have to run "adb start-server" with sudo rights ie ("sudo adb start-server") . You may have to run "adb kill-server" first. check out this: [solved/info] - adb with ubuntu - Page 4 - xda-developers

3. Dudeicus_Maximus

Ratings:
    +0
    lol

I was using "sudo adb devices" and it would start the server. I even tried killing the server and then just running that command again. I never thought to use "sudo adb start-server". That's awesome. Thanks a lot. It's funny how some of the most frustrating problems have the most simple solutions.

4. Dinomight

Dinomight New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, these things can be silly sometimes. I can't tell you how long it took me to find the solution. It was at least an hour or two, and i don't think i even found the solution i think i just kind of stumbled in to running it by accident. Glad i could help.

5. jayarmstrong

jayarmstrong Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you could also use the pro version of virtualbox (free for individual use), which allows USB device access. Personally, I've found a way around needing ADB so far :D

6. Dudeicus_Maximus

Ratings:
    +0
    Wait, what? How do you access the debugging console without ADB? Are you sure you mean what you think you mean?

I dual boot Linux and Windows, at times using one exclusively over the other. I actually just switched to Fedora after four years of Ubuntu and I'm loving it.

#6 Dudeicus_Maximus, May 29, 2010
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  7. LrdElderon

LrdElderon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to rummage around and find it. I kinda fell off the wagon in regards to keeping up with things (personal stuff) but I had an adb auto installer for Ubuntu and it's derivatives and I think it might have worked on fedora type as well not sure.

basically it was just a one click or run script in term as root and it downloaded, moved the file to a proper location, extracted, added it to the global path so everyone could use (I could prob make that switchable) and it also auto detected the phone and inserted a custom UDEV rule based on your login name and the phone that was plugged in.

actually got donations for it =) I need to updated it more. I'm converting it to java gui but i'm learning as I go. just started with a book lol.

in regards to having to manually starting/stopping adb with sudo, I believe that is because of how it was added to the $PATH. It's trying to start as user but doesn't have permission. I have mine added global from the script (it's run as root) and it just autostarts as soon as you use adb.

#7 LrdElderon, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  8. jayarmstrong

jayarmstrong Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if you were asking me or not but I didn't mean that I can access the debugging console without ADB -- just that I've found ways to do everything I've needed without using ADB.

and RE:fedora, I couldn't handle it when all of my simple console commands from ubuntu didn't work in fedora. I like ubuntu for a lot of reasons but fedora has a better installer and a few other bells & whistles. Glad it's working for you though.

Search tags for this page
adb no permissions for ubuntu droid razr

adb no permissions ubuntu 10.04

instal adb di ubuntu 10.04
install adb 10.04
linux ubuntu 10.04 adb script
ubuntu 10.04 adb devices
ubuntu 10.04.4 adb
ubuntu10.04 adb no permissions
ubuntu1004 adb error: device not found