Request to change Android calendar reminders into Outlook like events

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by jns.das, Feb 3, 2010.

1. jns.das

jns.das New Member

Can we start a petition request for android to alter calendaring in 2 ways. 1 all events become singular and not lumped together in a reminder. Most important. Add the ability to snooze each event individually and with customizable times just like in outlook.

I have missed many events because of this lack of functionality. I can't believe this phone only allows me the option to snooze or dismiss when I shud be able to open each event and handle each seperate from one another.

Maybe I'm just ranting but I hope this snowballs enuf to get me what I desire.

Jay
  2. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Why petition? There's a site for requests and issues, IIRC.
  3. jns.das

jns.das New Member

Mind posting a link please? I've not seen such site.
    Regards
  4. jns.das

jns.das New Member

Seriously, does such a place exist??? I really really really need the calendar and events to change!

:)
  5. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

No offense...

Just because I've seen some threads where people are worried about these phones because a vast majority of posts are people with problems...

For MY USES, the calendar and events and reminder are wonderful. The only thing I might like to change is the little bar on the right side of the day in month view that shows when events are on that day. It's a PITA sometimes...

Just my 2 cents. I also use CalWidget. I let it take up an entire homescreen, but it collects my calendar info and puts it all neatly on a page so I can see my schedule.

I use the calendar mostly for my work schedule and then to remind me of other things though, so I'm not a HARDCORE calendar/schedule user. There ARE calendar replacement apps available though...If the stock one doesn't suit your tastes, it's worth it to look into them...IMO.
  6. jns.das

jns.das New Member

Thanks for the heads up on CalWidget. I like it also... Here is my problem. The google calendar does not allow you to snooze each item independantly with custom times like outlook would... Sounds little but it (to me anyway) is a huge problem. Some meetings get postponed, others pushed back. I recently had a situation where 5 reminders came up in one shot. Now for about an hour I was hitting snooze (10 min intervals) because there were some items I would do later... So I finished three of the 5 and accidentally hit dismiss all. Because of this I missed my reminder of items 4 and 5... There is no reason this functionality is not here... I mean for gods sake this phone is so awesome that I can speak into it and it dictates my text messages for me, yet it cant allow me to postpone events? lol. Silly silly stuff. And so far I am unable to find any calendar apps to get me this functionality. Oh well, I am just a guy ranting, I know that. I just hope someone heres it and makes some changes, adds an app or alters the calendar.

Jay
  7. Jonny Kansas

Yeah, I've only ever had one reminder at one time, but I HAVE seen that it says "snooze all" and "dismiss all"

You might try creating alarms for each item. I know that's not the BEST solution, but you can add a label to each alarm, such as "Meeting with Bob J. at Starbucks"...
  8. jns.das

jns.das New Member

I just looked on my phone. I can't figure out how to do this. Would you mind lettin me know hot to? Is this something I have to do from a pc and not my phone?
    Regards
  9. Jonny Kansas

Certainly! Pull up the alarm clock whatever way is easiest for you...
    -Press menu
    -Press add alarm
    -Set the time
    -Choose a ringtone/notification sound [or select silent from the list]
    -Choose whether or not to vibrate
    -Select Repeat day [This is where there's a drawback...You can only select the DAY, not the date, so you'd have to do this every week, but like I said, better than nothing...]
    -Press Label
    -Enter the message you'd like to see when the alarm goes off [Ie "Meeting with Bob J."
    -Press done

As I said, not the BEST workaround, but I think it could help. Also...and I just thought of this, so please forgive me, AK Notepad has an option when creating/editing a note to "Remind Me." I just checked that out, and you can set the DATE and TIME there. Might be a better possibility for you if you have a LOT of events to set reminders for...Not sure if it'll do a "snooze/dismiss all" thing, or how it handles multiple reminders around the same time...
  10. jns.das

jns.das New Member

hey thanks a lot. Unfortunately that functionality won't work for e with alarm clock simply because an average week has 40 or so events. Thanks though, and I'm def gonna demo the Ak notepad.
    Thanks,
    Jay
  11. Jonny Kansas

No problem. I was thinking about that as I typed out the directions. That's what made me think to check AK...Still not the BEST solution [if you have to put them in the calendar AND ak], but should get the job done WAY better than the alarm. Let me know about multiple notifications at the same time if you try it out!
  12. jns.das

jns.das New Member

thanks I installed it. Ill let you you know. Unfortunately it still doesn't cover all bases as it doesn't manage reoccurring events. Can't we just get an outlook like calendar? Lol.
    Jay
  13. jns.das

jns.das New Member

Is it impossible to have this on a Droid? Set some example events for illustration purposes. As you see I have 2 items I can dismiss and 2 others that I am going to snooze with different settings... Why cannot Android or Google do this? Should be simple!

Attached Files:

14. Jonny Kansas

I was JUST thinking about this thread...I had an event reminder set for my job interview today, and when it popped up, instead of snoozing or dismissing all, I clicked it. From there, you can either change thee reminder time, or back out. Backing out removed it from notifications (dismissed it) if time's already passed, but you want a notification later, I think you can edit the event entry. Set it to a later time and set a new reminder?

Still not sure what would happen with multiple reminders at the same time, but I would think if you don't snooze, dismiss, or click them, they should stay.

No sure if that helps, or if you already tried it, but might make things a LITTLE easier...?
  15. snakeyes

snakeyes New Member

I agree this lack of functionality is silly. It makes using my phone for scheduling very difficult.
  16. bman505

bman505 New Member

Has an app come out yet allowing the Droid to sync with outlook? My calender is my job.
  17. jns.das

jns.das New Member

Actually there is... Google Calendar Sync:

Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

I am running Version: 0.9.3.5 and it has worked flawlessly syncing both directions. However, that being said, Googles calendar Sucks big time. I am constantly missing appointments over this "Snooze all" or "dismiss all" bull crap. For god sake I can speak into my phone and it can dictate a paragraph for me so I don't have to type while driving (theoretically, lol, its illegal in NJ to text and drive) but I can't get a better working calendar on my phone???
  18. snakeyes

snakeyes New Member

I agree with you about the calendar but what i have been doing lately is whn multiple events pop up you can click on the actual event and edit the start time. I know its not as simple but it is my current work around until something better.
  19. jns.das

jns.das New Member

Thank you! That's actually the best suggestion I've heard so far... I wonder how it will effect re occurances???
  20. snakeyes

snakeyes New Member

That im not sure about all my events are usually 1 time deals. but let me know if you could so i know what to expect whe setting up recurring events.
Search tags for this page
add android calendar reminder 35 min
android calendar with individual alarms
android dismiss reminders
android reminders like iphone with outlook
android will not dismiss calendar reminder
can not dismiss calendar reminders android
droid change meeting reminder time outlook event
hot to snooze calendar reminders motorola rzr m
how do i dismiss a calendar reminder in outlook from my droi
how to change outlook.com android app reminder sound
how to dismiss calendar events on galaxy s4
how to dismiss reminder in android s4
samsung galaxy s4 dismiss outlook reminders
snooze a meetingn reminder on a nexus 4

why does calendar on driod not have events after one month?