Request: Step Instructions for Root on Mac

want a droid

Reaction score
Looking for a tested and working set of instructions that I can use to root my droid 2 with my mac.

Whenever I post about rooting with a mac someone posts instructions and says try it and let us know how it goes. I want successful instructions.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

pool_shark

Reaction score
Use the stickied method that does not require a PC. You download the 4 files from droid2root, put the files on the Droid and run the commands.

You can extract the files directly on the droid or extract them on your mac and move or email them to the droid.

pool_shark

Reaction score
To me it's easier to just place the 4 files from droid2root on your sd card and run the commands.

I used that method and I was rooted within 5 minutes.

OP
want a droid

want a droid

Reaction score
Ill try that and let you know how it goes. Can you link me to how to make a back up. Aren't I supposed to make a back up before rooting?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

pool_shark

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken people are making backups before changing ROMs and/or deleting preinstalled apps.

I think they are using titanium backup. I didn't do a backup.

pool_shark

Reaction score
With windows you plug the droid in, make sure it's set for USB mass storage, and move the files from the PC to the Droid. It shows up just like any other flash drive.
If you can't do that with MAC, just email the files and download them onto the Droid.

OP
want a droid

want a droid

Reaction score
I can't even download the four files. I download the .rar file and I open it on my mac and it says I have to open it with a program and to select one.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Find a program on mac that can extract a rar file, it's just a different kind of zip file.
Some people used androzip to extract the files directly on the droid.

EDIT:

Try this.

Attachments

• tools.zip
    1 MB · Views: 204
OP
want a droid

want a droid

Reaction score
Hm. I went through the first steps, forced closed the app and went back into it and still had a $ instead of #. It gave me the output when I put in the final step so I'm not sure what I did wrong.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Hm. I went through the first steps, forced closed the app and went back into it and still had a $ instead of #. It gave me the output when I put in the final step so I'm not sure what I did wrong.

What step are you on?
Have you rebooted yet?
Do you have the superuser Ninja icon in the app drawer?

OP
want a droid

want a droid

Reaction score

What step are you on?
Have you rebooted yet?
These are the steps I did:

Code:
- open up your favorite terminal emulator program
- cd /tmp
- cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/
- chmod 777 rage*.bin
- ./rage*.bin
- ignore it's output, we are thinking outside of the box here, just wait  for it to finish and return a $
- now go to settings -> applications -> manage applications ->  running -> terminal and force close that girlie
- relaunch the terminal app and you should be greeted with the friendly #  symbol. Toda you now have a root shell

When I relaunched my terminal app I still had a $ sign.

darkonion

Reaction score

What step are you on?
Have you rebooted yet?
These are the steps I did:

Code:
- open up your favorite terminal emulator program
- cd /tmp
- cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/
- chmod 777 rage*.bin
- ./rage*.bin
- ignore it's output, we are thinking outside of the box here, just wait  for it to finish and return a $
- now go to settings -> applications -> manage applications ->  running -> terminal and force close that girlie
- relaunch the terminal app and you should be greeted with the friendly #  symbol. Toda you now have a root shell
When I relaunched my terminal app I still had a $ sign.

Exploit failed. Rerun rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin.