REQUEST: "REVERSE" Tether

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by GarrMatey, Mar 7, 2010.

1. GarrMatey

GarrMatey New Member

Geeks, Crackers, Hackers, etc. I know you're out there. I know you want a challenge. I know that just about anything is possible, you just need the right guy/gal with the right energy drink. ;)

I want a "Reverse Tether." I don't want to hook my Droid up to someone's computer and give them MY data usage. I want the OPPOSITE!

I repair computers for a living. I go to people's houses and fix their computers. If they don't have wireless, then I'm out of luck with my droid; I have to use my data plan. So what I want to do is hook my USB cable to their computer, and use their WIRED internet to get data to my Droid.

Instead of Verizon sending data to my phone that gets transferred to the computer via USB, I want their ISP to send data to their computer which directs it to my phone via USB.

It's the exact same as a tether, but reversing the direction of the data flow.

Hope I've been thorough enough with my description. I'm rooted. Can't think of anything else you'd need to know, but ask questions if you've got em.

I love you, geeks, and I'll soon be one of you.
    :)
  2. texasPI

texasPI New Member

One word comes to mind: why?
  3. ironosity

ironosity New Member

seriously, why? If you have a "connected" desktop, why in the world would you want to use the droid to access the web? and if it you need to acces a file, well you are connected via usb so you could just mount your droid and drag the file over...so why?
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

And the Droid has unlimited data....
  5. ashgfu

ashgfu New Member

If they dont have wireless... what good does a reverse tether do you? lmao. And if you have access to hook a USB cable to their computer... just use the computer for internet! There I fixed it.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  6. toastedoats

toastedoats New Member

Does it matter why he wants to do it? Lets not belittle his post for no reason....

Have you tried PDANet for this?
  7. Grabraham

Grabraham New Member

Sounds like this
    D-Link DWL-G730AP Wireless Pocket Router/AP w/ Client Mode, 802.11g, 54Mbps ... would be 'Handier' than the an app if you really run into what you described very often.
  8. GarrMatey

GarrMatey New Member

To all of you asking "why?" (not that the answer helps get the solution, but I'll satisfy your curiosity).

1) Droid doesn't have unlimited data, as someone mentioned. The basic plan from Verizon is 5GB. I've never come close, bust still, I like to stay under as much as possible.
    2) Because Verizon sucks on one major issue, which is the only real reason why I want the reverse tether.

I have the White Pages app, which uses the internet connectivity to figure out who's calling you. However, good ol verizon shuts off data when you're on a phone call (or when a call is coming in).
    So when I'm at home, for example, and I'm hooked up to my wireless, if someone calls, then the Droid can still use the wireless to get the white pages info and show me who it is that's calling.

HOWEVER

If you do NOT have wireless available, then the White Pages app is NO GOOD for you, because Verizon kills data during a voice transfer. So they ONLY way the White Pages app is useful is if you have wireless available.

Well what if I'm at a customer's house and I don't have wireless? Every call that comes in remains unidentified. If their computer has internet, then I would like for my droid to be able to use that in order to obtain the information and show me who's calling.

I already hook my droid up to the customer's computer anyway, so the battery will last me throughout the day. So why not take advantage of that for more than just electricity. Data is capable of flowing into the customer's computer and through my USB cable, so I just want my droid to be able to access that data. I want my White Pages app to work even if I have no wireless available.

If Verizon would act like every other carrier, I wouldn't be making this request.
  9. joshnichols189

joshnichols189 New Member

5GB cap is for internet modems, not phones
  10. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

You really need to read your plan. Unlimited data for smartphones, this has been beaten to death already. 5gb is for other cell types needing a plan... proof- go to your vz account online and look at data useage, done.

Unlimited data, solution given.
  11. GarrMatey

GarrMatey New Member

Wow! Yup! If I want hardware, then that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for (at least that's what it looks like from the description). I had never heard of this hardware before. Thank you, Grabraham.

However, I would prefer it as an app on my droid, so I don't have to lug around extra hardware everywhere I go. If I can't get it as an app, though, this is what I'll buy. Thanks for the info!
  12. GarrMatey

GarrMatey New Member

I have not yet. I downloaded it once for tethering purposes, but never ended up using it. Do you know for sure that it will do this? The description in the market seems to show that this is only for tethering, not reverse.
  13. Grabraham

Grabraham New Member

Another thought is the only way I could see an app like you described to work would be to install something on the PC which I would be hesitant to do on a client's PC.
  14. GarrMatey

GarrMatey New Member

Ok, well, again, the big reason for this is so I can still have data even while on a call. Not even unlimited data plan solves that. So the problem is not solved. If I want data while I'm on a call, and there's no wireless available, then I want to be able to tap into a computer using a wired connection.
  15. GarrMatey

GarrMatey New Member

I do know what you mean. However, I already have to install a plethora of programs on my customers' computers, and I get permission for every app. Anything that won't be needed by the customer gets uninstalled before I leave. Us geeks are sensitive about that, but your average Joe says, "I don't care."

I would prefer something that doesn't have to be installed on the computer, but if that's the only way to go, then so be it. If a customer objects, I will ALWAYS respect their request.
  16. FknTwizted

FknTwizted New Member

yes vzw says unlimited but read fine print.... they frown upon going over 5g but won't charge u but they will if abused will cancel ur account for it.
  17. Brian7

Brian7 New Member

not true, I regularly go over. I usually average between 10 and 15g and never had one thing said to me.....it is simply an urban myth...and this subject has been beaten to death, as stated by an earlier post....and when I say regularly, I mean every month. I have been with Verizon for about 10 years so maybe I get preferential treatment lol:icon_ banana:
  18. FknTwizted

FknTwizted New Member

I meant they might slow it down... I wanted to say they won't cancel, doing this off my phone while watching the oscars. Forgot some words lol
  19. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Unlimited means unlimited. If it's within the ToS, then you're safe.
  20. FknTwizted

FknTwizted New Member

Apparently everybody needs to put their 2 cents worth in.... think we came to that conculsion 2 post ago.... now for the credits..... back to the subject.
Search tags for this page
bluetooth reverse tether dun

reverse tether droid x

reverse tether for s3 mini

samsung galaxy s3 reverse tethering