Reports are Rolling In: Android 4.4.2 Update for the Verizon Moto X is Pushing OTA

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
vzw-motox-android-442-update.png

Just last week Verizon pushed out the soak test for the Android 4.4.2 on their Moto X. Now it appears that the test went well as we have been receiving reports that the update is rolling out to users.

Just as a heads up/reminder, here's the .pdf changelog from Verizon: http://support.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/moto-x.pdf

Of course, if you want to check for the update just tap Settings>About phone>System updates.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

jspradling7

Reaction score
Mine updated Tuesday. Seems to be running just fine. My battery is staying in the 90's further into the day than it used to. Mine's completely stock with Apex and Power Toggles only installed.

timewaster

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has downloaded the 4.4.2 update on their moto x and had no bad effects on the USB tether to pdanet? Lost the wi-fi feature, would be devastated to lose the USB tether as well.....

TatDroid

Reaction score
I'm loving many things about my X, and one of them is these timely OS updates. I've had the phone for all of 4 months and have already gone from Jellybean to Kit Kat, and now 4.4.2. I hope the Lenovo sale doesn't change things down the line 'cause at this rate I'm thinking I'm gonna keep this phone for a long time!

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
Mine updated Tuesday. Seems to be running just fine. My battery is staying in the 90's further into the day than it used to. Mine's completely stock with Apex and Power Toggles only installed.

How does apex work on it? I have apex pro but I haven't used it for a while, I originally got it for my Bionic, but after I got my Razr M I quit using it because I liked the moto circles widget so much and they were incompatible. I'd really like to try apex on my new moto x (locked 4.4.2, so no root until ?) so I could run the dock 7 icons wide and have that sweet full auto rotate icons and everything. Is apex interfering with your touchless or active display or anything? Ans can I still pretty much get full functionality of the apex without root? It's been so long since I've had anything unrooted I'm really freaked out about it and I haven't even had the X a whole week yet LOL, the upside is I haven't really "moved in" to the launcher yet, so it's not gonna be a huge deal to go apex instead of stock, provided the apex is pretty much fully functional unrooted and it's not gonna break any of the sweet moto X stuff

jspradling7

Reaction score
How does apex work on it? I have apex pro but I haven't used it for a while, I originally got it for my Bionic, but after I got my Razr M I quit using it because I liked the moto circles widget so much and they were incompatible. I'd really like to try apex on my new moto x (locked 4.4.2, so no root until ?) so I could run the dock 7 icons wide and have that sweet full auto rotate icons and everything. Is apex interfering with your touchless or active display or anything? Ans can I still pretty much get full functionality of the apex without root? It's been so long since I've had anything unrooted I'm really freaked out about it and I haven't even had the X a whole week yet LOL, the upside is I haven't really "moved in" to the launcher yet, so it's not gonna be a huge deal to go apex instead of stock, provided the apex is pretty much fully functional unrooted and it's not gonna break any of the sweet moto X stuff

I haven't noticed any issues while using Apex Pro. Touchless control and active display work fine. I use the One More Clock Widget by Xaffron to get the three circle Moto clock back, but it doesn't work just like the Moto version it just looks like it. I have the Accuweather app that gives me my multiple cites weather information. I use Power Toggles by Painless Death to give me the toggles I like on the status screen as well as a large battery text in the status bar. I use the Screen off and Lock app by Katecca and have Apex's double tap home screen option selected to activate it, that way a double tap turns the phone off like the LG G2 does. I don't utilize everything that all these apps are capable of so I can't say everything works perfect, but everything that I do use works great. Hope that helps.

Rhino94

Reaction score
Where 4.4.2 for the LG G2? Im not holding my breath or anything but im thinking ill get the update in about a year maybe if im luckily in 2017...

jspradling7

Reaction score
Are you telling me u wouldnt want the most up to date software on your device?

No, I'm not trying to tell you anything. Sorry if it sounded that way. I was just curious if there was something in particular in 4.4.2 that you were expecting for the G2. I have one and it runs great the way it is. Have you heard of any particular feature or battery life the G2 will get?

I seem to be getting slightly better battery life in the Moto X after the upgrade from 4.4 to 4.4.2 but it seems I've read as many negative posts as positive for some other devices getting upgrades.

Rhino94

Reaction score
I always like new updates amd i like to see what they bring to the table because they are new.

xtor

Reaction score
Where's the love for the note2?, still waiting for the kitkat update:(

8th Infantry division

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
Anybody else that was curious about apex it works beautifully with none of the lag I experienced on the razr M, and the one more clock version of the moto circles widget is almost impossible to tell from the original...the my main concerns were apex lagging or being incompatible with a very cool key feature as was the case with both the OG Razr and the M (in the case of the X I was concerned about active display and touchless working the same with it, and both do). I'm also impressed with the improvements in face recognition screen lock since ICS which was the last time i tried it, in just 3 or 4 training sessions it recognizes me in all my various eyeglasses, with and without caps, freshly shaven or stubbly, etc