reporting malicious application

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpet444

Reaction score
or remove it with a custom script within terminal emulator, but thats a long explanation in itself

OP
C

cloudius

Reaction score
rooted/unlocked your phone. opening up root access to your phone means you can essentially access any file on your phone, including system files. so, if you have "root" access you could essentially go into the system/app folder and take out goggles yourself.

I personally don't think its malicious, but it is VERY aggravating when you can't uninstall an app without root access (visual voice mail anyone?). But you did make a valid point in that it is foolish to trust something because of a brand name.
Thanks for the explanation, is there a how to guide u can link me to root my phone?

hookerdj

Reaction score
in instances like these the search button at the top works great

rooted/unlocked your phone. opening up root access to your phone means you can essentially access any file on your phone, including system files. so, if you have "root" access you could essentially go into the system/app folder and take out goggles yourself.

I personally don't think its malicious, but it is VERY aggravating when you can't uninstall an app without root access (visual voice mail anyone?). But you did make a valid point in that it is foolish to trust something because of a brand name.
Thanks for the explanation, is there a how to guide u can link me to root my phone?

OP
C

cloudius

Reaction score
oh here we go

I'm sorry but what exactly is that supposed to mean? We don't all know what you kmnow so why wouldn't you just explin it to me instead of acting like a jerk?

Why exactly is he being a jerk? Its just the highest talked about topic is all.

The way I'm reading it it seems like he's using a condescending tone. As for the frequency of the topic, I don't frequent these forums unless I need help with something, so I didn't see what everyonr else was talking about, I just searc@he'd for the apps name and made the thread. As for your first post that's answered.

hookerdj

Reaction score

trumpet444

Reaction score
It is very complicated if you are new to it. There is also a lot of help here at this forum too if you find the right thread. We should all be a little helpful/understanding. Yes, there is a search bar up top but we were all "noobs" at one time

trumpet444

Reaction score
yeah, kellex is awesome. droidforums and droid life is all i visit

ldimick

Reaction score

I hope you don't consider me a jerk but rooting a phone can be MUCH more malicious than Goggles.

A lot of the time that people report that they can't uninstall an app is because it was installed as part of a ROM and not downloaded from the Market. In that case you have to manually remove it.

The phrase Malicious is not one to use lightly. Ill performing is not usually associated with malice. Malice usually denotes intent to harm - not non-functional.

Look for a user named MATTH3W and he has a good write up on rooting. Do yourself a favor and read up on it A LOT. Once you understand the components - ROM, KERNEL, THEMES, OVERCLOCKING, NANDROID, CLOCKWORKS, etc I would recommend that you consider buying ROM Manager since it is the easiest way to accomplish rooting.

You will find many opinions on which ROM to use. I prefer CYANOMODGEN simply because it seems to change the least, which can cause the least amount of problems afterwards. I would use Bugless Beast if it supported APP2SD (another acronym/title you should know).

BTW, we were all new at this ourselves at one point or another. This forum has a LOT of good writeups. But, this forum is not the best organized so you will often see people tell you to search for it. And the results are often difficult to filter. One of the best methods of searching these forums is to add DROIDFORUMS to a Google search of your desired topic.

Good luck!

trumpet444

Reaction score
True true true......i was reading about it for months before actually doing it. You should be able to understand everything Idimick just posted BEFORE ROOTING. And yes, rooting can be very malicious if using the wrong rom or not following directions to the tee or just stroke of bad luck and it screws your phone up.

hookerdj

Reaction score
yeah i think i have read about it for about a month before i decided on it maybe three weeks but thats reading every night cause i did not want to mess up. lol the day after i rooted i saw that drodmod had aprogram to do it for you...lol

True true true......i was reading about it for months before actually doing it. You should be able to understand everything Idimick just posted BEFORE ROOTING. And yes, rooting can be very malicious if using the wrong rom or not following directions to the tee or just stroke of bad luck and it screws your phone up.

trumpet444

Reaction score
yeah, cyanogenmod is probably the best to start with, or keep for that matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.