Reply-All for TXTs

Barristro

Reaction score
How can I reply-all to texts that I receive from other people?

I know how to send an original text to multiple people, that's easy. And when I do send it, it gets filed in my text messages in a folder that lists all the people I sent it to. So, I can always go to that folder to write them again. But, any response I get will go into that individual's text folder (even if they used reply-all on their iPhone/BB).

Since I have seen a few threads from Android users complaining about their phone's default being to reply to all (and the problems that has caused), I have to believe that there is some setting that I just don't have correct. However, none of those threads gave a solution, and I cannot find whatever setting needs to be changed.

Jonas

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you need to go to the marketplace, and download an auto-reply app that will auto reply the same message to anyone who texts you. Most of these apps will let you customize the message to reply to all, or just some, to ignore phone calls, to keep track of what the people reply back with, and are quite apt at doing this. Or maybe I completely misunderstand what you are asking.

OP
B

Barristro

Reaction score
you need to go to the marketplace, and download an auto-reply app that will auto reply the same message to anyone who texts you. .

I'm afraid this is not the solution. The auto-reply will simply send a pre-written message to anyone who texts me.

Here is the scenario;
1) Abby sends the text "Who's coming tonight?" to Me, Brain, Carl, Debbie, E, F,...Z. (She probably did this by sending it to a group she set up.)
2) I want to send to Abby, Brain, Carl, Debbie, etc. (in the same text); "I will get there at 9:00". (As I do not have all the same friends as Abby, I cannot just send it to a previously set up group. Besides, I wouldn't want Quentin to find out about this if Abby specifically didn't send it to him.)

The way my phone is now, I would have to write and send that message 26 times to get it to all the people. There have been some complaints by other users that they want a response to go to only Abby, but their phone automatically sends it to all 26 original recipients. Therefore, I assume there is a setting that allows for such a thing. I would like to know what that setting is. I have looked at the default text program, Hancent, and Go SMS, but not found any setting that would help.

Last edited:

marleyinoc

Reaction score
I believe the default is reply all and long press gives option to reply only to sender. Reply or send all all even shows up on the message I think. It's been that way for me on handcent and stock messaging... I think though there is option also to reply with SMS so maybe you have a MLS (crap ... meant MMS) setting or something turned off?

Sent from my cellphone

OP
B

Barristro

Reaction score
Hmm. Maybe we are getting closer. As far as I know, I only have SMS (but I get video/pics over txt, so I'm not sure).

Here is what I do know;
Using stock, Hancent, or GO SMS, all my incoming texts get filed under my contact's name. I have 100 from Abby, 120 from Brian, etc.

I received a text from Abby that was sent to four different people (I can see the numbers under "details", but not names (even though they are all contacts of mine).

Long-pressing on the message (with Handcent) gives only the following options;
Lock message,
view picture,
Add to My gallery,
Copy attached to SD card,
Call 5554443333,
Forward,
Add to schedule task,
Delete message,
View message details.

No option for replying to that specific message, let alone reply-all.

If I use the stock txt app, I can open a specific message, but long-pressing or the menu button does absolutely nothing.

Any thoughts. I feel like I'm missing something very basic (like; unscrew the cap before trying to fill the car with gas)