Replacing Otterbox Defender's screen protector

mooch91

Reaction score
Does anyone have any high-quality pictures of their phone with an Otterbox Defender case, but with a different screen protector in place of the built-in one that is part of the Otterbox?

The built-in screen protector allows too much dust behind it.

I know it's fairly easy to remove the built-in screen protector of the Otterbox and I am contemplating installing something like a Zagg screen protector (or privacy protector), then re-installing the Otterbox. I just don't know how it will fit, does the Otterbox bezel completely cover the aftermarket screen protector for example?

Quality pictures would be helpful, as well as the brand/style of screen protector that you used.

Thanks!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Don't put the otterbox defenders protector over a zagg, you won't like the results.

I took the defenders protector out, used alcohol and soap and water to remove the adhesive that holds it in, and put a zagg on one maxx and a military shield on my other maxx, I like the armor suit military shield more. Not so grippy.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Caesars

Reaction score
I don't have pictures but I did exactly what you're taking about and it looks awesome. Just make sure you get the rest of glue off from the O box before you put it back on, also don't use any strong chemicals like googone.

Good luck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
M

mooch91

Reaction score
Don't put the otterbox defenders protector over a zagg, you won't like the results.

I took the defenders protector out, used alcohol and soap and water to remove the adhesive that holds it in, and put a zagg on one maxx and a military shield on my other maxx, I like the armor suit military shield more. Not so grippy.

Thanks, I don't want to use both, just replace the one on the Defender.

OP
M

mooch91

Reaction score
I don't have pictures but I did exactly what you're taking about and it looks awesome. Just make sure you get the rest of glue off from the O box before you put it back on, also don't use any strong chemicals like googone.

Good luck

Which brand did you use and does the Otterbox cover it completely?

Thanks!

Caesars

Reaction score
I used a zagg, I like the way they feel. Although I'm tempted to try what 94 was using......But if I ever add a second line its going to be for a iPhone 6 or g3 Hehe.

Edit: I used the zagg and you can't see the edge is the zagg if that's what you mean, so in other weirds the O box covers all edges of the zagg.

Last edited:
OP
M

mooch91

Reaction score
Edit: I used the zagg and you can't see the edge is the zagg if that's what you mean, so in other weirds the O box covers all edges of the zagg.

Thanks, exactly what I was asking.

94 - How about the militaryshield, does the otterbox cover all edges of the screen protector?

Thanks!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yes, the military shield and zagg are nearly identical, but IMHO the military shield has a better fit on the screen. So yes it covers.

Caesars

Reaction score
Don't listen to 94, he's one of "them" lol.

OP
M

mooch91

Reaction score

At least now I know I have choices...

Thanks for the help guys.

Anyone else: pictures would be helpful if you have them. Thanks!

OP
M

mooch91

Reaction score
Popped out the Otterbox Defender screen protector today and replaced it with the Zagg (expensive, but readily available locally). Reinstalled the OB case. Looks awesome, plus no way for dust to get underneath the protector any more. A much better solution.

I'd like to see OB redesign the case for the Razr/Maxx to increase the width of the hard plastic bezel and cut the speaker/mic out of that instead of the plastic screen protector. Just like my old Droid X.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

Lol, Caesars the ducks are hungry :) lmao. :D

Caesars

Reaction score
I used all my bread on the single goose at the back of the pond ^_^.

@OP that's awesome, I'm really glad I did the extra screen protector / OBox combo, the final product really is awesome. In fact if I'm tempted to throw together defender / zagg combo packs and see if they sell online lol.