Replacing nonremovable batteries..

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting the droid4, but who knows. Those with nonremovable batteries.. what will be the best way to replace it after warranty is up? Send it in? On my OG droid the battery wore out at 1.5 years, but of course I replaced it with ease.

Sent from an old droid

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Warranty service will cover it, but I know there are tutorials online showing you how to replace it yourself.

That being said, I am guessing that these batteries will not wear out as fast as the removable ones. I thought that was part of the reason they made them non-removable.

OP
xxwabbit

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I'm hoping your right. I always thought they made them nonremovable to make more money through repairs. Ah well, just have to accept that its the future.
Sent from an old droid

JeffDenver

Reaction score
LOL, no. I dont think it is that at all.

Making it non-removable was mainly a compromise they had to make to make it so thin. At least thats how I understood it.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Warranty service will cover it, but I know there are tutorials online showing you how to replace it yourself.

That being said, I am guessing that these batteries will not wear out as fast as the removable ones. I thought that was part of the reason they made them non-removable.

It makes no difference if a battery is soldered in, plugged in using a connector or slipped in and connected with contacts, battery life is dependent on the battery, not if it is easily removable or not. If a replaceable battery loses life in 18 months then so will a soldered in battery. The only way that a non-replaceable battery will last longer is if it has a significantly bigger capacity so that it will go through less charge cycles. Even if that is the case, it will not be a long lived as a larger extended battery.

OP
xxwabbit

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I usually like taking things apart. So this might not be such a big deal. (I also like to put things back together too).

Sent from an old droid

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks for the link. I usually like taking things apart. So this might not be such a big deal. (I also like to put things back together too).

Sent from an old droid

Haha yes I like to take things apart as well, though I wouldn't worry too much about taking it apart, unless you want to. The battery will last a long while before you have to go that route.

dhinged

Reaction score
I've had to pull the battery on my Droid a few times because I couldn't hang up the call. The screen froze or wouldn't turn on. I suppose I could hold the power button down and see if it turns off, but a battery pull is the only way to guarantee a glitching phone doesn't eat up all your minutes.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I've had to pull the battery on my Droid a few times because I couldn't hang up the call. The screen froze or wouldn't turn on. I suppose I could hold the power button down and see if it turns off, but a battery pull is the only way to guarantee a glitching phone doesn't eat up all your minutes.

There is a way to reset it in case of lockups. Generally this involves holding a volume key and volume button for 10 seconds or something along those lines. Quite a few tablets have non-removable batteries, like the HP Touchpad, and that is how it works (although you have to hold the physical home button as well). Apple products I am sure have a similar function, you basically have to if you don't have a removable power source.

dhinged

Reaction score
There is a way to reset it in case of lockups. Generally this involves holding a volume key and volume button for 10 seconds or something along those lines. Quite a few tablets have non-removable batteries, like the HP Touchpad, and that is how it works (although you have to hold the physical home button as well). Apple products I am sure have a similar function, you basically have to if you don't have a removable power source.

I'm sure the Droid has it, but I've never seen it, it's not in the manual I got, and holding down the power button alone doesn't force shut-off the phone, so I would have been screwed without a battery pull. Basically I would have had to have gotten on the internet to figure out how to force the phone to shut down. This stuff really should be intuitive or at least written in the manual, because real costs can be associated to this.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yup my xoom can have a force reset in the same manner, but with volume up + power button.

Ssilk

Reaction score
I'm sure the Droid has it, but I've never seen it, it's not in the manual I got, and holding down the power button alone doesn't force shut-off the phone, so I would have been screwed without a battery pull. Basically I would have had to have gotten on the internet to figure out how to force the phone to shut down. This stuff really should be intuitive or at least written in the manual, because real costs can be associated to this.

Absolutely agreed! This is my worry with these phones. I feel so much better being able to physically separate my device from all power. Even a shutdown sequence doesn't actually terminate connection from the physical battery. It also removes from us with modded phones to open it up for better air flow and cooling at times. To me...its just an all around bad move. Any time you take options away from people when it comes to their devices its generally a bad call imo. I can't see my X2 ever needing to be thinner and the backing is so minimal that sealing the battery in wouldn't change its thickness at all. I just can't like the idea at all. Seems a regression in phone design to me. Someone would have to give me some really really good logical reasons to seal the battery into a phone to change my mind and so far I dont see them.

X2 superclocked beast

OP
xxwabbit

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Yup..I don't need thinner either. I'm trying to think of something that own that that I cannot remove the battery... The idea just seems like the disposable penlights..just throw it away once the battery dies. I did talk to a vzw Rep and he said that if I don't have insurance or an extended warranty, and that if the battery were to malfunction after the manufacturer warranty, I would have to throw the phone away and buy a brand new one. But I did get a second opinion from a different store and they said to send it to the manufacturer to have it replaced. They didn't know the costs tho. I've never had an extended warranty or insurance, so I guess its a good time to start.

Sent from an old droid

Ssilk

Reaction score
Yup..I don't need thinner either. I'm trying to think of something that own that that I cannot remove the battery... The idea just seems like the disposable penlights..just throw it away once the battery dies. I did talk to a vzw Rep and he said that if I don't have insurance or an extended warranty, and that if the battery were to malfunction after the manufacturer warranty, I would have to throw the phone away and buy a brand new one. But I did get a second opinion from a different store and they said to send it to the manufacturer to have it replaced. They didn't know the costs tho. I've never had an extended warranty or insurance, so I guess its a good time to start.

Sent from an old droid

Wow...I'm noticing that the manufacturers and providers are really not explaining their reasoning and especially keeping people in the dark about how this is all supposed to work and what its going to cost us if we opt fire this major change.

X2 superclocked beast