Replacing my SD card - what do I do?

Icewyche

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my Droid R2D2 to a 16gb card next week, and I'm wondering how to change out the current card with a minimum of fuss. I've looked online for instructions for changing the card, but it only goes as far as "unmount current card, remove, insert new card" - nothing about how to get the thing synced or whatever with my phone. I've made a "Droid backup" folder on my laptop with all the files that are on the 8gb card, but is there anything I need to do after the new card is in place? Would I be better off going to Verizon and having them help me instead of trying this myself? I'm usually pretty competent with tech stuff, but I don't want to mess up my phone.

coovee

Reaction score
Copy contents of old and paste to new

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Inverse

Reaction score
Yeah, its not a complicated thing. Copy the contents onto a folder on your pc from the old card, then drag and drop the contents onto your new card. Super brain dead. Its just like any other flash media.

Sent from GingerBlurred DROID2

OP
I

Icewyche

Reaction score
So I don't need to format the new card?

Sorry if I seem a little slow on this one, but this was a fairly pricey toy and I don't want to brick it. ;)

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
When you put the card in the phone if you're running froyo it will do it automatically. Then just drag and drop the copied folder to the new sd card. That's how it worked with me

Sent from my rooted DROID2

Reaction score
If you have indexing issues (i.e. gallery or other apps that use the sd card hang), with the new card, compare the formatting and partitioning against the old card. You can do this on a pc. Ubuntu seems best suited for this task.

I speak from experience, I spent the better part of 2 days, loading and reloading the new 16gb class 10 card. The droid worked fine, and then hung. Popped the battery (it wouldn't shut down by itself)out, erased the card and started all over again.

16 gb class 10 card from new egg, was about 36$
Droid 2 global comes with a class 2, which from what I understand is way to slow.

OP
I

Icewyche

Reaction score
I went with a Class 4 from Walmart for $24, and it seems to be working fine thus far.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
16 gb class 10 card from new egg, was about 36$
Droid 2 global comes with a class 2, which from what I understand is way to slow.

Depends on your needs. If your not running apps2sd I dont believe you need a class 6 or class 10 card, BUT, by no means does it hurt, and the class 6 cards are pretty cheap anyways.