1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Replacing Icons

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by Grimshak, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Grimshak

Grimshak New Member

I've been doing a LOT of trying different ROMs and themes, and want to get in to a bit of designing myself.

The actual icon designing I can do. What I need to know is the best way to implement it.

I'm referring to the icons for specific apps (i.e. Market, Gmail, etc.). I was thinking I could open the .apk and replace the files that way, but that would mean an update for the app would un-do my work, right?

I know there are apps out there that replace the launcher that allow you to change icons, but from what I remember, they are normally buggy. Has this changed?

So, what is everyone's opinion on the BEST way to replace icons? Thanks!
  2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Well first off do you have ADB set up or maybe Android Commander? With these you can pull all of the apk files off of your phone. Then use 7zip to open them and look inside. Then drag out the 'res' folder and edit the icon you desire. now drag the 'res' folder back into 7zip and itll replace the edited files. Now (MAKE A CLEAN BACKUP) you can simply push the apk files to your phone using ADB (best if doing this in recovery mode) - or you can use an update.zip file (download one from my LUNA theme if you want and take out my APKs and put in yours). When you boot up your icons should be there. If you edit market apps you will need to research on how to re-sign them. Its simple, but needs to be learned.
  3. MAD450r

MAD450r Theme Developer Theme Developer

If you are worried about updates making you have to redo them

Use one of the 2 programs I know of for this. better cut, or my personal favorite would be folder organizer, both are avialable on the market. Using these programs makes it so simple to change out icons all the time.

if you like what you did and want ti there when you install next time just make a backup of your entire OS/rom when your done. Then everytime you restore your backup all your changes will be there as well.

Good luck andif you have any ?'s dont hesitate to ask if I dont answer myself im sure someone else around this great forum will be more than happy to help out. I learned all this myself on this forum. I been on many and this one seems to have the most helpful people. Im sure other forums have people that help out as well. I just find this forum was the most helpful for me. :)
  4. Grimshak

Grimshak New Member

Lets say I use this method and replace the Gmail App Icon. If an update comes out for Gmail, will it replace my icon with the official icon?

Any other sites to check out to learn this? Or is droidforums a good place to look?

And, of course, thank you for the quick responses!
  5. MAD450r

to answer your question

yes usually when updates come out they break our customization :(
    This is why I use 3rd party apps for icon replacement. Its bad enough to havd to fix all my edited widgets when updates come out why bothre with the icon's since we like to change most if not all of our icons once you get into it ;)

Seriously give folder organizer or Bettercut a try. they make it quick and easy to change them out. Once you did them all just remake a system backup and you wont have to mess with them next time you need to restore
  6. Grimshak

Grimshak New Member

Can I use Better Cut to make shortcuts to apps? I took a look at the app, but didn't see an option for apps.
  7. MAD450r

Yes

thats how it works.

but for what your saying I think you would like folder organizer better. it can do much more. Just play around with it some and youll see what I mean.