Replacing Droid 1 with what?

mrvogt

Reaction score
I've been loving my D1 since the day it came out in Nov 2009. I'm starting to look into what will replace it this summer/fall. I'm not up-to-date in the Android world as I once was. But I know I want an Android device.

So what current and upcoming devices get people fired up these days? I'm a user who likes to root (tether!), but not necessarily install custom ROMs (I've been pretty happy with the stock stuff). I'm not necessarily tied to Verizon, especially after comparing 3G speeds with my wife's ATT iPhone (I get about 0.6 Mbit/s on d/l, she gets about 3.0 Mbit/s in the Austin area! WTF? I used to get at least 2.0 or more a year ago...). I do like the idea of LTE, but Austin is not scheduled to get it in 2012 either, so no rush there.

Again...what current and upcoming devices get people fired up these days?

thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right now the hot topic is the Thunderbolt and Bionic. There are areas dedicated to these new phones, please look around in there for more information.

Jus Cruisin

Reaction score
I am happy with my Droid 1 replacement - Droid X. But there will be lots of new phones out by the summer/fall time frame. I didn't want to pay for a 4G phone and not be able to take advantage of it. My next phone will most likely be a 4G with my next upgrade in 15 or so months.

yiannis

Reaction score
My upgrade date is 07/23. Hoping to have an Atrix LTE or htc or samsung equivalent out by then and before the tiered data plans start...

Currently there are no gamechanging phones for vzw to get excited about.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
According to Consumer Reports but the X and the Incredible are at the top, but the Droid 2 is good too.

I'm waiting for the Bionic at the moment. San Diego is on of the 4G towns so I'd like to take advantage of that (I have no WiFi at home and the "Free" WiFi I find are crippled). Still, time will tell. Once we start to have the phones released an in the hands of people on this forum I may change my mind.