Replaced my OG Droid yesterday with a GNexus

siggy_freud

Reaction score
Well, I finally decided to replace my OG Droid. I had it for over two years and it was a fantastic phone. I almost felt a little guilty for replacing it because it's been so good over the years. But lately it was getting too slow, even clocked at 800mhz. I then switched to the stable Cyanogenmod and it would still freeze about once every 3 days. My phone app became buggy and wouldn't let me answer, or would freeze after the call was over. On Saturday I missed a call because of it, and upon restarting, didn't show me in the call log who I missed. So I trotted over to Costco and picked up a Galaxy Nexus.

So far, so good. My 4g reception at home is fine. It isn't great at work, but my 3g connection was 1 bar at work anyways so it's a wash. The phone looks great, very sharp display and ICS is also very nice. I love the traffic widget, but am afraid it would be a big drain on the phone's resources so haven't given it a permanent home on the home screens.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Keep it stock? Root it? What do you guys think? Anything I MUST do now that I have it?

GeLopez

Reaction score
you are welcome, the nexus is so easy to root/unroot that i would say to go ahead and root it. there is a vast amount of roms and developers that at least one of them will fullfill your needs. good luck

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
congrats on picking up the Nexus.

IF you're unsure about rooting/ROMing for now, I suggest you just read around for now. Get familiar with the phone first then you can think about rooting/ROMing, at least that's what I did. I left mine stock for 4 days.

Also, when unlocking/rooting the Nexus, it will require a factory reset. So if you are going that route, don't get too comfortable with your customizations.

RacingManiac

Reaction score
Congratz, I came from a OG Droid as well and its quite an upgrade. While the ROM I stuck with on Droid was relatively stable(Sapphire 2.0.2, Froyo build), the lack of RAM really was what hampers it and the new phone is just blazing fast compare to it...used it stock over the xmas break and rooted it the first day I came back and enjoying the phone eversince...

What316

Reaction score
You my as well unlock and root now since it erases everything. Even if you dont do anything with it, you'll have it ready for when/if you do. It's super easy and quick. Well, quick if you have the SDK already installed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

zevoman

Reaction score