Repercussions of court ruling against F.C.C. and Net Neutrality

texasPI

Reaction score
What planet are you living on? GM and for that matter the rest of the companies that caused the collapse ran themselves into the ground on their own greed and lack of government regulation, which actually would have prevented the problem, not precipitated it. Sure I would love to have a perfectly free market economy as well, but in reality we don't live in a utopian fantasy, the sad truth is many people are immoral and selfish, especially so once they have money and power...

Yeah it would be nice not to have a military and a police force and government, but it would be utter chaos if we had no rules, some people do not have much integrity unfortunately

Wrong again. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were under government oversight so why did they collapse? The only one proposing a Utopian fantasy here is you. If government regulated things then nothing would ever go wrong. That is utopian thinking on your part.

What would be nice about not having the military and/or government? Since these are created by the COnstitution are you saying that we would be better off without a Constitution?

The FCC needs to go back to what its most (in)effective at, watching the airwaves for wardrobe mishaps during the superbowl.

Darkseider

Reaction score
What planet are you living on? GM and for that matter the rest of the companies that caused the collapse ran themselves into the ground on their own greed and lack of government regulation, which actually would have prevented the problem, not precipitated it. Sure I would love to have a perfectly free market economy as well, but in reality we don't live in a utopian fantasy, the sad truth is many people are immoral and selfish, especially so once they have money and power...

Yeah it would be nice not to have a military and a police force and government, but it would be utter chaos if we had no rules, some people do not have much integrity unfortunately

Wrong again. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were under government oversight so why did they collapse? The only one proposing a Utopian fantasy here is you. If government regulated things then nothing would ever go wrong. That is utopian thinking on your part.

What would be nice about not having the military and/or government? Since these are created by the COnstitution are you saying that we would be better off without a Constitution?

The FCC needs to go back to what its most (in)effective at, watching the airwaves for wardrobe mishaps during the superbowl.

Let's not forget that not only were they under government oversight but also were allowed and ENCOURAGED by the same government to start lending to high risk consumers. There were regulations in place to prevent this but the government changed those regulations. See how well that turned out huh? Let's not forget about some of the other greatest hits the government is responsible for:

Welfare, Social Security, AmTrak, US Postal Service AND The Federal Reserve Bank! YES! They are just batting a thousand aren't they?

Also take note that the ONLY auto company that did NOT take government money, FORD, is posting profits. Whoulda thunk it?

pyro6128

Reaction score
Companies should be allowed to fail. The market will always correct itself. Anyone who has taken an economics or introductory business class should know this. Companies fail, other companies come up and take their place. Companies fail, restructure, and come back stronger. It is not the governments place to get involved in private business. The governments job is to provide security and certain public good. The government should not be interfering in a free market., when it does that when you get problems. Obama essentially firing the CEO of gm was a gross overstep in authority. Although its a little more understandable since the government gave them money, however they shouldn't have done that to begin with.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Companies should be allowed to fail. The market will always correct itself. Anyone who has taken an economics or introductory business class should know this. Companies fail, other companies come up and take their place. Companies fail, restructure, and come back stronger. It is not the governments place to get involved in private business. The governments job is to provide security and certain public good. The government should not be interfering in a free market., when it does that when you get problems. Obama essentially firing the CEO of gm was a gross overstep in authority. Although its a little more understandable since the government gave them money, however they shouldn't have done that to begin with.

You sir deserve a beer as does TexasPI and FunN4Lo. It is good to know that there are still some Americans left. :icon_ banana:

moot

Reaction score
Darkseider is a troll. People should stop feeding it.

@pyro, People who have taken intro econ should also be familiar with the works of stiglitz, or even some of krugman's more current work. The reality of the free market correcting itself is not so black and white. Long term it may certainly be the case, but the short term repercussions of letting "too big to fail" companies fail is not palatable to most Americans.

Last edited:

pyro6128

Reaction score
Well I have my b.s in economics, I'm finishing up my MBA in international business, and I work with businesses and their models on a daily basis, so I've taken a tad more than the intro courses. How can you have a free market if the government constantly interferes with it? Companies need to fail, progress needs to be made, if those companies would have failed, it would have impacted the economy for sure, but other companies would have sprang up, and filled the void. When there are profits to be made you will always have new firms entering the market. If a void is left in the market, you better believe there are going to be firms who will improve upon the failed models. Being too cautious and afraid of the market is what ultimately ends up ruining it. Thankfully there are some of us in our 20s that don't think the government should be holding our hands for everything. Again, safety and public works, thats the governments job. Granted there are certain exceptions, but the more exceptions that are made the more problems occur.

OP
K

kamk2k8

Reaction score
I am not a fan of big government but I do think expecting equality on the internet, which is a huge facet of modern life, and a human right IMO, is not outside the bounds of the FCC.

I am a little shocked to be honest that this demographic holds such a unanimous opinion, the corrupt companies which operate so ruthlessly in the physical world if given the opportunity could easily, vastly change the landscape of the internet, and not in a good way, in a way the strikes at the heart of what makes this internet great: the influence of content created by the average person

If it becomes a world where only the content of conglomerates is easily, quickly, and freely accessible, well that influence would disappear, which a lack of net neutrality could very well lead to...

your minds are already made up though, basically nothing I say could possibly change that regardless of how logical and fact-based it might be, but I feel compelled to respond to such an overwhelming, peculiar tide of opinion,

flame away

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
before this gets closed

Funny how this got to a conservative versus liberal point of view.
I totally agree with you(which ones im not saying)
But i did hear that all of this would be "coming soon" at a TBD date.

OP
K

kamk2k8

Reaction score
I didn't forsee this being such a polarizing topic but It does make sense I suppose. I think we too often think of things in extremes, black and white without seeing the gray: the FCC ensuring equality on the internet assumes I am implying that the government should do everything for everyone all the time, which is not even close to anything I was actually saying...

and of course diatribes about whether or not companies should be allowed to fail are peppered in throughout despite the fact that I made no statements about that in the article.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Darkseider is a troll. People should stop feeding it.

@pyro, People who have taken intro econ should also be familiar with the works of stiglitz, or even some of krugman's more current work. The reality of the free market correcting itself is not so black and white. Long term it may certainly be the case, but the short term repercussions of letting "too big to fail" companies fail is not palatable to most Americans.

So I am a troll because I believe in the law and the constitution? I hear that Canada and England are looking for new residents to post the new taxes imposed to cover all their budget short falls due to their ever expanding entitlements and intervention.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I didn't forsee this being such a polarizing topic but It does make sense I suppose. I think we too often think of things in extremes, black and white without seeing the gray: the FCC ensuring equality on the internet assumes I am implying that the government should do everything for everyone all the time, which is not even close to anything I was actually saying...

and of course diatribes about whether or not companies should be allowed to fail are peppered in throughout despite the fact that I made no statements about that in the article.

Equality is a human right. The internet is a privilege that you pay for to a private company. You have no right to equality or equal service. You want better service, pay more money plain and simple. You want a car? Get a $10k honda you want better and faster? Pay $70k for a corvette z06. Plain and simple.

Grabraham

Reaction score

Equality is a human right. The internet is a privilege that you pay for to a private company. You have no right to equality or equal service. You want better service, pay more money plain and simple. You want a car? Get a $10k honda you want better and faster? Pay $70k for a corvette z06. Plain and simple.

I agree 100% ... in theory. It does not work that way in MANY US areas. If your only option for broadband internet is your cable provider (no DSL available at your address, your town has singed an exclusive deal) and the cable provider decides to block YouTube, Hulu and torrent traffic in order to prop up their Cable lineup or own streaming site, you are kinda screwed.

Darkseider

Reaction score

I agree 100% ... in theory. It does not work that way in MANY US areas. If your only option for broadband internet is your cable provider (no DSL available at your address, your town has singed an exclusive deal) and the cable provider decides to block YouTube, Hulu and torrent traffic in order to prop up their Cable lineup or own streaming site, you are kinda screwed.

Yep! But then again it is the residents of that town that put that towns administration in place. If the administration of that town signed that deal then it is the right, no, the RESPONSIBILITY of the residents to remove that administration in the next election and put one in that will support their interests.