Repeated Emails After Deletion

107driver

Reaction score
Using an Earthlink pop account, when I delete an email off the Droid, it will download it again for at least a few hours. Droid and I go back and forth, repeatedly deleting and downloading. Anyone else having this issue? Verizon doesn't really know and suggests that an upcoming upgrade may address this.

Maybe Droid was anticipating Easter in wanting to resurrect these messages.

_mh

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Using an Earthlink pop account, when I delete an email off the Droid, it will download it again for at least a few hours. Droid and I go back and forth, repeatedly deleting and downloading. Anyone else having this issue? Verizon doesn't really know and suggests that an upcoming upgrade may address this.

Maybe Droid was anticipating Easter in wanting to resurrect these messages.

_mh

My guess is that you aren't deleting from the earthlink server when you delete from your Droid and your email is configured to drag stuff down from the server without checking to see if it has already been downloaded. But I suspect you figured that out.

You might try using K-9 rather than the stock "email" app. There is a setting that allows you to delete from the server when you delete from the droid. If that's problematic, you might look into your Earthlink account settings (using your computer to access it) and see if there is a setting that deletes from the server once it has been downloaded.

The latter approach may be a problem for you if you want to access your email both from your droid and from another device (such as your desktop computer) since once it has been sent to your droid, it will have disappeared from the server.

And whatever you decide to do, you may find that you're suffering from a conflict between pushing and pulling (polling) your earthlink account. In other words, you may not get notification of the email to your droid unless you check your email periodically (either manually or through a timed polling option.)

If that is the case, you might try forwarding your email from your earthlink account to gmail and then use the gmail app or the K-9 app (pointed at the gmail account) to notify you when email reaches the gmail account. You may lose the ability to delete from your Earthlink account from your Droid but you'll be (a) notified of incoming mail and (b) won't receive repeated downloads of the same email.

Hope this helps. This whole area is a can of worms that depends on the capabilities of your email server and the settings available on your email client (K-9 is much better than the stock "email" app on the Droid) as well as your needs in terms of deleting versus preserving email for viewing on another device.

zasran

Reaction score
Similar problem with IMAP account, some deleted emails are not really deleted, seems random, I have to delete some messages few times. Wasn't fixed after 2.1 upgrade.

ero