Renaming or using multi sd cards?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by T0M5, Mar 31, 2010.

1. T0M5

T0M5 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I am brand new to this and have a couple of questions. I am getting my droid tomorrow and I am considering rooting it for a couple of reasons(wifi tether, and full control over something I own being the main reasons). On the videos I have seen for rooting and unrooting your phone it involves deleting and installing a file called "update.zip" which brings up my first couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to keep the Original "update.zip" file on your sd and just rename it? That way I don't have to search the internet later and download the "unroot-update.zip" file in case I need to unroot.

2. If that is not possible(I don't see why, but like I said I'm new) would it work If I just copied my original sd card that comes with the droid to another sd card? That way I could keep the original as a backup, then if I need to unroot I could just switch out cards.

Thank you.

2. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle Android Addict Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can rename the files all you want. Just make sure that when you actually want to apply them you rename or copy them to update.zip.

3. T0M5

T0M5 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Vicious, I figured it wouldn't be a problem. I don't know why the people who made the videos didn't just do it that way, instead of deleting and then having to go back and re download? Maybe after I have had my droid for awhile i will start making my own videos, videos jam packed with common sense.

4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    If your Droid has the 2.1 update on it, You can forget about rooting for a while....

5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your sdcard doesn't come with an update.zip file, and it doesn't need to have one on it. Putting the file there is just the mechanism for initiating an update. The file only needs to be there when you actually select "install" from the recovery console. The rest of the time it's just a file on your SD Card taking up space.

Because it HAS to be named "update.zip", it is very easy to lose track of which file is which. Deleting the extra copies is a good way to make SURE you don't accidentally apply the wrong update.

Also - most people will only need to use an update once. Once you've rooted, you don't need the root update anymore, so there's not much point in hanging onto it. It's like the iTunes or firefox installer you download. Once you install the app, you don't need to keep the installer around anymore - chances are, when you want to install it again, there's a newer version anyway.

ALSO also - if you just got the 2.1 OTA update, you won't be able to root using the update.zip method. Currently, the only known way to root a 2.1 is using an application (RSD Lite, I think?) to flash an SBF image to the phone (the same way Verizon techs reflash a phone).

Search tags for this page

android rename sd card

android rename sdcard
how to i rename sd card in samsung android
how to rename a sd card
how to rename emulated sd card

how to rename sd card android

how to rename sd card in android
how to rename sd card on s3#q

rename sd card android

rinominare sd android