Removing things as I customize

Discussion in 'Liberty ROM DX' started by modisch, Apr 30, 2011.

1. modisch

modisch New Member

I'm running Liberty 2.0.1 and really enjoy it. I'm also enjoying the ability to customize my phone. I burrow through the forums for apps, widgets, themes, etc. that look nice or useful. I've decided to try a few, but as they duplicate functions I already have, is it safe to remove the original.

For example... If i install Launcher Pro, can I remove the launcher that came with liberty?

Or if I install Handcent, can I delete the existing messaging app?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

-m
  2. Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter New Member

Best way to find out is to freeze them and see if the replacements still work. I could be wrong, but I believe handcent still needs the stock messaging in order to function... But try freezing it, and if it still works, then delete it. Don't know about the launcher.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  3. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

I froze the stock text app and I was then unable to get pictures sent to me via text.
  4. Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter New Member

You're right lol I forgot about that... I did the same a few weeks ago. I thought I remembered that it didn't work but couldn't remember why.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  5. bluskyline21

bluskyline21 New Member

You can freeze the stock messenger if you want, but if you just turn all the notifications off then you won't receive double texts, plus you'll be able to receive/send mms (which u cant if u freeze it). I don't like ADW, so it was the first to go when I installed LGB. It's just a launcher, I don't think there's anything 'special' about it in the liberty version.
  6. gambit07

gambit07 New Member

Everything duplicating functionality should be safe to remove except messaging, in fact you should get rid of any launchers besides the one you use, they take up resources even when not being directly used.
  7. modisch

modisch New Member

Thanks for all of the replies. Good to know. Surplus launcher is going to go. And I'll leave the messaging app alone. :)

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }
  8. Jubakuba

Jubakuba New Member

I would NOT remove the launcher...
    If anything were to happen with the launcher you use, the backup is always behind it just in case.

I would delete all of the widgets from whatever background launcher you have.
  9. gambit07

gambit07 New Member

I'm relatively certain nothings ever going to happen to your launcher. An issue where the launcher disappeared has never happened to me, and I've never heard of it happening. I don't think it's something you would ever have to be concerned about
  10. modisch

modisch New Member

After running LP+ I decided to check if launcher was even running. Turns out not. So I think it is a moot point to uninstall it... It does nothing when LP+ is running (at last after a fresh reboot). It isn't even loaded into memory.

So I'll leave it.

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }