Removing Preinstalled Apps

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just be VERY careful removing preinstalled apps.

DroidForums Junkie!!

lalea1860

Reaction score
uninstall

No worries....I havent removed any yet! Got the phone rooted then was unsure how to proceed. Looks like I need Titanium to find a UNINSTALL option for the apps. Astro does not seem to have an UNINSTALL option.
I tired to download titanium off my pc but looks like I will pay at the market. I have titanium saved on my sd card but cant access the sd card on my ally.
I was planning to remover skype (cos it runs all the time and I turn it off), amazon, facebook, my space, citybook...not sure about Back Up Assistant?

Guess I will pay at the market and get titanium. If anyone knows any free ways to get titanium or tips for uninstalls, would be appreciated

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Can't discuss pirating apps here. If you would like a less expensive way to do what you're trying to do, I believe Root Explorer is $2-$3? in the market. You can actually rename the apps and reboot and the phone won't see them so they won't run or open. I'd recommend making a backup before doing anything of course...just in case.

No worries....I havent removed any yet! Got the phone rooted then was unsure how to proceed. Looks like I need Titanium to find a UNINSTALL option for the apps. Astro does not seem to have an UNINSTALL option.
I tired to download titanium off my pc but looks like I will pay at the market. I have titanium saved on my sd card but cant access the sd card on my ally.
I was planning to remover skype (cos it runs all the time and I turn it off), amazon, facebook, my space, citybook...not sure about Back Up Assistant?

Guess I will pay at the market and get titanium. If anyone knows any free ways to get titanium or tips for uninstalls, would be appreciated

DroidForums Junkie!!

lalea1860

Reaction score
Lol

I broke down and paid for root explorer...LOL Now I have to figure oput how to work it. I have figured out one view is Read only. Also, the files are not in a name like "Amazon" so afraid I am going to delete sumpin important. How do I make the files show up as Skype, Amazon, etc?

I deleted a few apps using Terminal Emulator by writing commands but it is a bit tediuous. Also there are file listed list like hidden verizon files
I fot Terminal emulator off the market free. Command to get started is ..OK...su...OK....mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblk3/system OK
ls /system/app

To remove an app: rm /system/app/app name as typed in list
(spaces are important)
Then all the apps pop up/files. The files are also not in the name we would recognize in many cases but did get utube and skype...amazon is giving me issues. What is verizon hidden files?

Anyway. Gotta be an easier way than tedious typing as screen is small? (>%