Removing junk apps after rooting

Discussion in 'Droid Incredible Tech Support' started by savageroot, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savageroot

savageroot New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to rooting and the like, thanks for attempting to help!

I just rooted my Incredible last night and I'm not 100% sure how to remove the Verizon junk apps from my device.

I found some info on another thread that said I need to install an app manager (I installed Super Manager) then rename the app file to "appname.apk.bak" then reboot. I did this for the Amazon MP3 app, after rebooting the app no longer shows up in the app list. Does this actually remove the app from the device or just hide it from view? Ultimately I want it/them deleted.

I tried the same process for the VZ Navigator app, and it didn't work. Is there a different process involved for Verizon branded apps?

Thanks again!

2. FergatROn

FergatROn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you ever thought about installing a custom ROM? They normally come stripped of all that junk software.

3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    A custom ROM is not the end all answer a lot make it out to be.

4. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    I would strongly suggest that you research the Roms for yourself. Most of the final release Rom run smoother and more stable than stock. When you see people with issues it is quite often due to a bad install or user error.

BTW, I've been rooted for over a year and have installed dozens and dozens of Rome (3 yesterday! !).

Good luck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    I'll say once again that 99% of the custom roms run smoother and are more stable than the factory os. The people that are "developing" these roms are using the Google os as a starting point and in most cases all they are doing is removing bloat and adding some theme touches.

6. Pineapple95

Pineapple95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BayouFlyFisher - I'm all for custom roms, but you have to be joking when you say 99% of custom roms are more stable than the factory os. Every day there are hundreds of posts on different forums with people experiencing problems with custom roms. Please don't lead people to believe that custom roms are the best solution to minor problems like getting rid of bloatware.

7. BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    And there are thousands of posts about people experiencing problems with the stock rom. And I also said "final" release roms. I would not, for instance, recommend any of the current Gingerbread roms as they are still very experimental. But the Froyo roms are rock solid. As I've said, I've been doing this for years and have been rooted with Android for over a year. I've installed just about every rom that is/has been available. The current crop of final Froyo roms (Chevy's, UD, Sapphire, CM, etc., etc. are rock solid. I firmly believe they are all better than stock. I do not intend to mislead anyone.

8. Pineapple95

Pineapple95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you a professional tech reviewer/writer? I ask this because I find it strange that a normal person would go through so many different roms if they were all "rock solid".

9. aimless

aimless Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So was anybody going to give the answer for which this thread was created?! Please help with removing these bs apps on our phones.

Sent from my DROIDX

10. BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Oh, the answer to that one is simple - it's fun. I love to install them and run them through their paces. I have a few that I use as daily drivers and I always go back to them for daily use. And also, I never, ever claimed to be "normal"!!:)

11. NUNsLAUGHTER92

Ratings:
    +0
    It's like no one will tell you something so damn simple. What you need is either root explorer or Titanium Backup. Root explorer is my favorite though. To uninstall the apps from root explorer just delete them from the /system/apps/ folder. if you ever want them back it's as simple as pasting it back into the folder.

Sent from my M860 using DroidForums App

12. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,160
    To the op the answer to removing bloat apps:

1) use titanium back up and freeze the apps

or
    2) make a nandroid backup of your current rom the use root explorer to remove the apps from your system folder.

Op if you have any more questions PM one of us but I am closing this thread because it is getting way off topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
after rooting removing apps from andkon
how do i delete stock apps after rooting
how do i delete stock apps from my phone after rooting
how to clear my motorola droid of junk

how to delete verizon apps after rooting

how to remove apps after rooting

how to remove junk apps from android after root
how to remove verizon apps after rooting

how to remove verizon apps once rooted