removing helix 2

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by BlueSami, Mar 23, 2010.

1. BlueSami

BlueSami Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok so i installed BD8.0.1. then made helix 2 my default. i want to remove it as my default and use helix 1. (accaully the modded helix1)

when i try to uninstall helix2 it says it cannot be done. nor can i find it in setting>app>manage app??

2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    If you just want to change to another home/launcher settings >apps > manage apps, if you press the menu button you can filter to what is currently running. Your current launcher should be running, so select it. You shouldn't be able to uninstall it from here because it is more than likely in system/app/ but you can clear defaults on that page. That means when you press the home button again you will get to select which home app you want to use, and set it as default if you want.

I assume it came preinstalled with your custom ROM and is installed in /system/app/. You are going to have to delete it from system/app/ There may be a script made to get rid of it. "rmhelix2" would be logical, and fit in with his naming scheme of other scripts but, there is no changelog for his updates from 8.0 so I don't know what scripts he has installed.

If not you can use root explorer (the easiest way if you don't know what it is named), terminal, or adb to get rid of it.

To find out the name via terminal or adb if you don't have or don't want root explorer. All of these can be typed into terminal emulator as well, just leaving off the "adb shell" portion.

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cd /system/app/
    ls

That will list the names of all the files in system/app/ You then have to figure out which one is Helix2. Then :

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    busybox rm /system/app/Helix2.apk
    mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    That is assuming it is called Helix2.apk

3. Dandroid247

Dandroid247 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is also a script list in the Ultimate Droid thread used to remove various parts of the ROM. If you would rather just keep it I have found that the app "home switcher" works well to swap between the various launcher and home apps.