Removing duplicate Calendar entries

sethm1

Reaction score
Using (trial) Companion Link with Android- to sync with Palm Desktop and Google- which then syncs over the air to the Droid.

The Sync from Palm to Google (G-mail Contacts & Calendar) worked just fine.

But when I opened the Droid’s Calendar I saw duplicate entries.
Thinking this is odd (and wrong) I went back on line to check the G-Calendar.
It was correct.

SO- how do I remove duplicate entries off the Droid’s Calendar?
The contacts are fine.
I checked the Market Place but have found no removing “tool”
As far as I know I have no other sources for where Calendar is syncing from.

Any ideas – suggestions ??
Thx

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
Sethm1, I'm sorry you see duplicates on the Droid.

If the Google Account shows correctly, I'm suspecting that you have the Account settings set to grab data from Google twice. On the Droid, go to Settings, Accounts & Sync, and check Manage Accounts. Do you have more than one listing there?

The other thing I would try is to create a test Calendar event on Droid, and another test event in Google. Let the Droid sync, and see if either one doubles. This may give a clue to where the duplication is happening.

CompanionLink provides free technical support. If you are still needing help give a call on Monday and a tech will work with you.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.
www.companionlink.com

OP
S

sethm1

Reaction score
Resolved.
Here's what I did -
Opened the Droid's Calendar, then its menu button, Then "more"
Then unchecked the box next to my Calendar.
Waited for everything to clear itself out.

Then re-checked the button- Yeah!

By the way - glad you are monitoring this forum.
I wrote to Companion Link and that tech support guy not very helpful !

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
It's great that it got resolved!

I'm so sorry about the email reply. I'll chat with the techs about emails. We write about 200 emails a day so QC is a big issue. I'll take it to heart to work with the team on it.

Thank you for your support.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
www.companionlink.com

OP
S

sethm1

Reaction score
Thanks.

Oh and since I have your attention- would I be correct that Companion Link is not meant to replace the Droids Calendar - just sync with Palm & Google (which then over the air syncs with the Droid)? OR will the USB version of Comp Link do that? (at least eventually as I understand its up to 100%).

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
Good Question and here's the full answer FWIW

CL USB Sync adds it's own Calendar list. Originally this was intended as a stopgap In our initial development push we could not get consistent results adding data to the Droid Calendar.

Google has not released an API for Android Calendars as they have for Contacts. We can write to a provider in the Calendar, but providers are undocumented. Google has released source code for Android, but each carrier and manufacturer modifies it, and the modified versions are generally not available. At CompanionLink we don't hack or deconstruct other people's code. If an API doesn't work, we generally innovate our way around the problem.

There are inconsistencies between Android versions in Calendar, so even two devices with identical version numbers; G1 and Hero for instance, have different Calendar structures. Calendar data is linked to Accounts; i.e. a data source like Google. One source is Google, and another source is Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. The danger of using an undocument API is that an inline update, like Droid 2.1 may interfere with data, or worse, damage data in a way it get sync'd back to the office computers damaging corporate data at the source. We've concluded that Account management in Android Calendars is incomplete for any data source that is not Google or Activesync. If this is truly the case, we'll see that no 3rd party App will ever be able to write data to the onboard Calendars in a dependable way.

So it is with sadness at the inadequacy of the platform, and also annoyance over the time and resources we have spent, that we have finally ended our pursuit.

All CompanionLink solutions in the future will be centered on a Calendar App replacement, with structures that match Recurring Events and Exceptions as modeled in Google and PC Programs like Outlook. We will support category management, colors, free/busy flags, invites, attendees and locations will all match what PC users expect, without regard to Android version, manufacturer or carrier additions. Our sole contact with the onboard Calendar will be to grab data from it, and update that data if it changes. We will not add accounts or add records, and will keep our contact at a minimum to avoid any disruption to the fragile sync systems that exist for the onboard Calendars.

Calendars are important. We try to do a good job. We can't do a good job if the platform is too fragile to handle real-world customers. It will be a considerable task for us to build a complete Calendar App from scratch. Look for a full release of our new Calendar App from CompanionLink by April 1, 2010.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
www.compaionlink.com

Last edited:
OP
S

sethm1

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.
Can't wait for April.

Hope there will be a break in price - as I plan on purchasing Companion Link for Android, now that I have figured it out.
take care.

2/1/10 Update:
Wayland - I just rec'd a follow up call (about 2:435pm PST) from your tech support- I think her name was Andrea. She said she was not aware of any issues with the USB version. and that I don't need a key- except I bet I do as when I first tried USB version (but never used) was early/mid January - so its been more than 2 weeks.
My support tkt was # CRM:00215987.

Last edited:

erniehyde

Reaction score
Android Calendar Duplication

SETHM1,

Followed the steps you wrote but doesn't work. Any suggestions?

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
Erniehyde, there are many different reasons for duplicates. Are you also using CompanionLink?

Usually it works to clean everything up back to your PC or to Google Calendar if you are not using a PC. Then get a clean sync to the device.

I hope this information helps.

Wayland Bruns, CTO

bluezdawg

Reaction score
CompanionLink

Hi,
I recently updated to CompanionLink Express after learning that it was replacing CompanionLink for Google. I am still (as was the case previously) experiencing problems. I am using a Motorola Droid. I am syncing from Lotus Notes (Note > PDA) to my Google calendar. I am experiencing multiple issues:

1.) When I delete a calendar items from Notes, they do not delete from Google Calendar and subsequently, my Droid.

2.) I do get occasional duplicate documents, but not like I did with CL for Google

3.) Interestingly, when I manually add an event to Google calendar, it does not show up on my Droid Google Calendar. This one is not CompanionLink's issue, but frustrating all the same.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Rick aka bluezdawg

PDP

Reaction score
Look for a full release of our new Calendar App from CompanionLink by April 1, 2010.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
www.compaionlink.com

Dear Mr. Bruns,

I anticipate I'll get my HTC Incredible on April 29 (I've pre-ordered from VZW). My plan is to get up to speed on the phone, then migrate from Outlook/Palm Tungsten via Chapura to Outlook/Incredible via Companionlink.

Question: is your version 4 just around the corner? If so, I'll wait until it is released rather than using V 3 then updating.

Many thanks!

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
PDP we tend to grandfather everyone in, so go right ahead and purchase now. There's no extra charge.

CompanionLink v4 is just around the corner. This version has a new user interface, faster sync speeds, and Office 2010 64-bit compatibliity. Hopefully CompanionLink for Google v4 will roll out by next week. CompanionLink Express and CompanionLink Professional are more complex products, need more QA, and we hope to roll out before July 2010.

Everyone who has purchased CL v3 after May 1, 2009 will be eligible for a free upgrade just by downloading the new software.

So go right ahead! There won't be any cost. It all just gets better and better (we hope) and we show appreciation to our many customers by not pinging them very often with upgrade fees.

Wayland Bruns, CTO

PDP

Reaction score
Hopefully CompanionLink for Google v4 will roll out by next week. CompanionLink Express and CompanionLink Professional are more complex products, need more QA, and we hope to roll out before July 2010.

Dear Mr. Bruns, Many thanks! You do not mention Companionlink USB; when is V4 for that product anticipated? That's the product I am considereing.

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
CompanionLink USB will be out with CompanionLink Express. Express is for ACT!, Lotus Notes, Groupwise etc. CompanionLink USB is a lower priced version just for Outlook and Palm Desktop.