Removing Bloatware

trackman1

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this and wanted to know the beast and easy way to remove bloatware from my HTC Rezound...I have done some reading and came across cleantool 2.1 and a a root program called zerg.....I wanted to know if I have to root my phone before I use that cleantool 2.1?.??.....Or is there other apps I can use that are better
If so what are they and wher can I find them??

any help I would greatly appreciate..

mike7728

Reaction score
trackman1 said:
Hi I am new to this and wanted to know the beast and easy way to remove bloatware from my HTC Rezound...I have done some reading and came across cleantool 2.1 and a a root program called zerg.....I wanted to know if I have to root my phone before I use that cleantool 2.1?.??.....Or is there other apps I can use that are better
If so what are they and wher can I find them??

any help I would greatly appreciate..

Just wait for ics,I'm running the latest leak and u can disable the bloatware,or u can flash the latest leak without rooting.

VidJunky

Reaction score
Just wait for ics,I'm running the latest leak and u can disable the bloatware,or u can flash the latest leak without rooting.
I like your optimism that Big Red would allow such a change to exist. Someone with a Verizon phone that's UPGRADED to 4.0 would have to chime in and say this was their experience for me to buy in. Till now Big Red has been all about force feeding us these apps. Even when they suck, don't work, and/or even do harm to the device, as in the case of VLA.

As to the posters question, the last I heard the clean tool didn't work anymore. The minor update pushed shortly after the release of the Rezound disabled it and no one updated it because HTC announced the unlocking of their bootloaders, allowing everyone full root. Before this clean tools temp root was the best Rezound owners could hope for. The really messed up thing, and one more reason I'm not envisioning VZ allowing users to remove bloat, was the update was forced. Even if you were happy with the way your phone was and didn't want the update it pushed to your phone and installed its self. I was one that held out as long as possible, then I started hearing people who were temp rooted and had the update force is self on their device were having issues, I just went ahead and reverted and updated. If you read through the forums you'll see every opinion from there's no reason to root, your phone manages the bloat with little problem, to rooting is the only way to have a usable device. I rooted mostly due to VLA, but also because I've hated the bloat since the Inc. Here are something to know;
If you root it will be slightly more difficult to get update when it's released. You can run 4.0 ROMs rooted but as for the official OTA you will have to wait a bit.
If you don't root and wait for update, and it doesn't allow you to turn off the bloat, you'll have to wait longer for someone to crack 4.0's security to root. That could be weeks to months of more waiting to debloat.
Being stock you could download the beta/alpha/leak that's already out, but again if it doesn't allow you to turn off the bloat your in limbo waiting for someone to crack the security for root.

It's all really up to you what you're willing to live with, without, and for how long.

VidJunky

Reaction score
I like your optimism that Big Red would allow such a change to exist. Someone with a Verizon phone that's UPGRADED to 4.0 would have to chime in and say this was their experience for me to buy in. Till now Big Red has been all about force feeding us these apps. Even when they suck, don't work, and/or even do harm to the device, as in the case of VLA.

As to the posters question, the last I heard the clean tool didn't work anymore. The minor update pushed shortly after the release of the Rezound disabled it and no one updated it because HTC announced the unlocking of their bootloaders, allowing everyone full root. Before this clean tools temp root was the best Rezound owners could hope for. The really messed up thing, and one more reason I'm not envisioning VZ allowing users to remove bloat, was the update was forced. Even if you were happy with the way your phone was and didn't want the update it pushed to your phone and installed its self. I was one that held out as long as possible, then I started hearing people who were temp rooted and had the update force is self on their device were having issues, I just went ahead and reverted and updated. If you read through the forums you'll see every opinion from there's no reason to root, your phone manages the bloat with little problem, to rooting is the only way to have a usable device. I rooted mostly due to VLA, but also because I've hated the bloat since the Inc. Here are something to know;
If you root it will be slightly more difficult to get update when it's released. You can run 4.0 ROMs rooted but as for the official OTA you will have to wait a bit.
If you don't root and wait for update, and it doesn't allow you to turn off the bloat, you'll have to wait longer for someone to crack 4.0's security to root. That could be weeks to months of more waiting to debloat.
Being stock you could download the beta/alpha/leak that's already out, but again if it doesn't allow you to turn off the bloat your in limbo waiting for someone to crack the security for root.

It's all really up to you what you're willing to live with, without, and for how long.

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
thanks for all the info...So VidJUNKY I should just wait for you to create the app or instructions to remove bloatware????....right now all I want to do is remove that, so from what i have read it will increase speed and battery life.....

thanks

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the info...So VidJUNKY I should just wait for you to create the app or instructions to remove bloatware????....right now all I want to do is remove that, so from what i have read it will increase speed and battery life.....

thanks

It will likely do neither. Most of the Verizon bloat isn't running unless you run it. It may marginally increase battery life since you're freeing up drive space but that's about it. I'm not going to intrude on your conversation any more since I'm not read into it...just wanted to make sure you knew the deal..

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
Thanks MrSmith...I appreciate info...I guess I just want to find the easiest and safest way to remove the pre-installed apps ..from comming back.....apps I dont need.....

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
I am confused what to do.......i thought removing the bloatware would increase speed and battery life?....if thats not the case what is the best and easiest way to do it??

thanks again

mike7728

Reaction score
trackman1 said:
I am confused what to do.......i thought removing the bloatware would increase speed and battery life?....if thats not the case what is the best and easiest way to do it??

thanks again

In my opinion

mike7728

Reaction score
mike7728 said:
In my opinion

The flashing of the latest leak was the easiest option for a newbie like me,it allows me disable bloat which does save my battery life,and ics utilizes our dual cores more,for more speed.wether or not the ota allows this,I'm going to say yes,the razrs got there ota's recently,and they still are able to disable bloat.

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
thanks alot....where do i find the instructions and sofware to do this????.......also after this is done ....how do i disable bloat???

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Over in the development section I have a guide to flashing the leaked RUU's complete with a link to the latest one.

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
thanks alot...one last thing after I do this....how do I remove bloatware???????

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
thanks ..I found the apk file..and downloaded to pc....How I transfer the apk file to my phone??