Removing Bloatware?

dmg

Reaction score
Thank you for reply.

So if or when there is an ota update I will have to rename all of the .bak files back to apks to be able to update?
Also will have superuser on my phone affect an ota update?

matthewl3

Reaction score
This is why I wait a while on any hack

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Tepes

Reaction score
Most of my unwanted apps are .bak now but I did remove several vzw apps. How would I go about replacing those now? Didn't have all the bloat with the OG so I guess I got a little overzealous when I could get rid of it :)
Would a factory reset bring that back and then I just start over?

Sent from my Hitchhiker's Guide mark 2

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No. Probably not. You'd have to get someone with root to pull those and send them to u.

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

shaf786

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help, I've done the one click root and the phones successfully been rooted however titanium back up and superuser both tell me I don't have root. I've looked around to see if anyone else has had this problem and on what to do next and found that downloading Root Uninstaller would help me freeze the apps however even that tells me I don't have root even though I followed the instructions successfully. Thanks

Tepes

Reaction score
No. Probably not. You'd have to get someone with root to pull those and send them to u.

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

Then I post this request to all you wonderful folks as you work on your bloatware... Can anyone send me;
Zumo cast
Blockbuster
DLNA
all the VZW apps including their market
And Skype

I believe that is everything I actually deleted. Much thanks!!

zatchmo

Reaction score
Maybe we need to get a sticky going and a place to dump all these .apks? I don't have webspace, or I'd host them.

Tepes

Reaction score
I have a Dropbox I don't really use...mainly because I tend to screw it up. If someone wants to tell me what we need to do to store those apps and make them accessible to everyone here, I would be glad to. PM me.

UPDATE: Posted by Javier78 on XDA. This is the system/app folder
http://www.mediafire.com/?xntww3x2h2xow24

himdroidSC

Reaction score
zumocast and DLNA are two that I will be using for sure. Have already used zumocast, will be trying DLNA as soon as I read a little more about it.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
I have an idea. I'm thinking I could backup everything including the system bloatware with Titanium Backup Pro, delete the bloat and restore it later if I need to accept an OTA update. Titanium Backup has the option to restore apps to their original location so in theory it should be fine. This way you wouldn't have them taking up space in /system even after being frozen.

There probably isn't much benefit over just freezing the apps, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

aggiechase37

Reaction score
For people worried about receiving an OTA update, why are you worried? Probably an OTA will unroot the device. So why would we want that? More than likely a day or so after an OTA comes out, there will be a pre-rooted version that we can flash so we don't have to lose root.

Am I missing something here? I want to stay rooted!

Cdjones187

Reaction score
For people worried about receiving an OTA update, why are you worried? Probably an OTA will unroot the device. So why would we want that? More than likely a day or so after an OTA comes out, there will be a pre-rooted version that we can flash so we don't have to lose root.

Am I missing something here? I want to stay rooted!

+1 to this. If there is a OTA in the future, I will NOT be accepting it, even if I could lol..