Removing/adding features from other roms

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by killabyte, May 24, 2010.

1. killabyte

killabyte Guest

Does anyone have a link for how to do this? I'm running BB 1.0 and i'd like to take the music player from ultimate droid and put it into this rom. I really liked the way it looked and acted. Something else i'd like to put into it is having the reboot phone option when holding down the power button (it's in cyanogenmod).

Any links on this or does anyone know how that can post a how-to?
  2. killabyte

killabyte Guest

c'mon somebody has to know something. every time someone asks this question there's never an answer.
  3. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

I have done this also...I used root explorer to do this.

Black Droid Mod -> Download Manager -> Extra Apps -> "3" Cubed Music Player (Update.zip format)

go there and download that file it is an update.zip for ud for the cubed music player.
    double click onthe update.zip and go to the system folder in the system folder there is an app folder then the is an apk by the name of 3. it says something like 3.apk.
    Drag that to your desktop then place it on the root of you sdcard.
    open root explorer
    1. copy the 3.apk from you sdcard
    2. go to system/apps click mount r/w at top. the rename your music.apk to music.apk.bak
    3.paste the 3.apk into the system/apps folder
    4. change the name from 3.apk to music.apk
    5. change the permissions to .....user check read and write....groups check read and others check read....nothing else shoudl be checked.
    6. click mount r/o at top
    7. reboot your phone and when your rebooted you will have the cube music player installed
  4. killabyte

killabyte Guest

Cool. That was too easy. It shows up in my app drawer as "3" still with a cube icon. How can I change that name and icon?

I forgot to say thanks - so thanks my man
  5. killabyte

killabyte Guest

i think i see how to change the icon. if i extract 3.apk it's in a folder in there. couldn't i just swap it out with the icon file from something else i like? like maybe the music player that was on here that i made the .bak of? and if i do that does it have to packaged a particular way or signed or something?
  6. Shelooga

Shelooga New Member

can you guys post screen shots of this music player? i may want to drop the stock one and add it.

ss3.2
  7. killabyte

killabyte Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you scroll left or right to go through the alphabet. when you reach the letter you want you scroll up and down to sort through the artists and the albums are on the cube you see. has 3 differently sized widgets too.

there are some other view modes but they are boring.
  8. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

You can but when you open the apk dont extract anythign or you can break the signing of it...take the apk and open it using winrar or 7zip....find the pic of the icon its probably in the drawable folder then switch it with a different picture that you want it to be but you have to make sure the new pic you put in has the same name as the icon your deleting.

the widget for this looks really good to
  9. mrgarrison

mrgarrison New Member

"3" is also in the market but i cant quite remember what you search for to find it.. something with "rock" in it is all i remember lol

Edit: they might have taken it off the market, i cant seem to find it. i think the search was "rockon".
  10. Riddick

Riddick New Member

Yeah I seem to remember this being a market app as well. I've never used it though. Either way, it's just an .apk, surely it's linked somewhere and you can just download it to your SDcard and use something like Astro to install it.
  11. killabyte

killabyte Guest

Yea there's something named rockon mentioned in the XML files.

I swapped the icon pngs and renamed them but it didn't work BUT that's probably because I extracted the files to do it. When I get back to work tomorrow ill try again without extracting.

Thanks again grezy.
  12. killabyte

killabyte Guest

ok that got the icons changed. i loves me some winrar, best tool for the pc, ever :)

the app is still named "3" which i know means cubed but I don't like it. from the few tutorials i took on making apps under eclipse i ASSume that is what the app is named and thats where it's calling it from. is there no way to break the apk down in eclipse and rename it? not sure if what i'm asking is stupid so forgive me if it is.
  13. killabyte

killabyte Guest

hmm... from the googling i've done it looks like the apk would have to be reverse engineered. hard to find any helpful info on that for obvious reasons. i'm not looking to be up to no good i'd just like to change the name of the app to "Music" or something more appropriate than "3".

i wouldn't think it would be that hard to change the name if i could figure out how to get into whatever it is you edit in the apk. changing the name shouldn't require any highly complicated stuff. now if someone was trying to get into an app that was a trial or something so they could run it indefinitely or "crack" it so they could use it without paying then yea, that would obviously require some effort.
Search tags for this page

add features to other roms