Remove twitter contacts from "All Contacts"

wildlifeanna

Reaction score
I opened my contacts list today and all of my twitter and facebook contacts were part of my "all contacts" list. I removed both twitter and facebook from my "my accounts" list and although this removed all of my facebook contacts (who were not part of my google contacts list), I still have hundreds of twitter contacts, none of which are in my google contacts list. When I try to delete individual twitter contacts, I'm told I have to delete them from the respective program. Is there anyway I can get rid of all of these contacts? I know I can just leave my contacts list set to only show the google contacts, but it seems like I shouldn't have to compromise like that and that I should be able to remove all of these twitter contacts from my contacts list. This is my first android phone, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

wmscottmc

Reaction score
This question has been asked about facebook, hotmail, and other contacts being merged with the phones contact list. There has to be a solution to this, otherwise some of us would end up with hundreds of entries in our phone contact list, making it unusable.

Any suggestions?

OP
W

wildlifeanna

Reaction score
Like I said, I was able to remove all of my facebook contacts (with the exception of those individuals who are actually in my phone contact list) but I haven't been able to find any reference on how to move the twitter contacts. I've even deleted the twitter app in hopes that would fix it, but no luck

123noob321

Reaction score
do what i did. go into the market and download the official twitter app, its got choices between 2 widgets and works quite well. you dont need seperate widget for updating and seperate widget for being updated.

verizon was having problems with switching contacts over, so at the time i used the version of twitter that came with the fone, i had no contacts...but it annoyed me to have these things in my contacts list, i really WANTED to use the ap that was built in, but i ultimately deleted the account from my phone (in the "my accounts" ap, with all your other aps) and got the official one, glad i did.

although it dosent seem to update by itself, i jusat click it then press the lil refresh, works good for me as its not constantly hogging battery life by searching for updates, and if i wanna see waats up all i do is ppush a button

wmscottmc

Reaction score
Like I said, I was able to remove all of my facebook contacts (with the exception of those individuals who are actually in my phone contact list) but I haven't been able to find any reference on how to move the twitter contacts. I've even deleted the twitter app in hopes that would fix it, but no luck

I may have missed it, but please let us know how you removed your facebook contacts from the phone contact list.

Thanks

OP
W

wildlifeanna

Reaction score
To remove all of my facebook friends from my contact list I hit the menu button while in my contact list, then I selected "more" and then I selected "manage accounts" Then I clicked on the Facebook account and deleted it from "my accounts". This removed the facebook pictures for all of my regular phone contacts that use facebook, but it was worth it in that it removed all of my facebook friends who I don't have (or want) in my phone contact list.

OP
W

wildlifeanna

Reaction score
123noob321 - Thanks for the tip on the various twitter apps but I don't quite understand how downloading the "official" twitter app can help me remove all of my twitter friends from my "all contacts" phonebook list. I was hoping that uninstalling the twitter app that it would delete my twitter friends from my "all contacts" list for my phone/phonebook but this has not worked. If I'm missing a step, please let me know. Thanks :)

123noob321

Reaction score
do the same thing you did with facebook, delete it from your acounts (where it has your google account, etc) this should efectively remove them from your contacts.

then you download the official one so you can still use twitter on your phone. you dont really HAVE to download the twitter ap to get them out of your contacts.

OP
W

wildlifeanna

Reaction score
I did do the same thing I did with facebook (i.e. removed twitter from "my accounts") but for some reason, the twitter contacts, all 2100 of them, are still in my contact list. It currently doesn't show that I'm connected to twitter in "my accounts" or under my "social networking" button but all of my twitter contacts are still there. When I try to delete them directly from my contact list it tells me that I have to delete them from the appropriate program listed below (with no program listed). I'm assuming the only way I can delete someone is by deleting them as a friend in twitter, which I don't consider to be a viable option. It seems that I need to figure out how to unlink my phone from my twitter account somehow.

WickedAwsome

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my Droid X and found this thread...with no help

And then I figured out how to fix it on my own. Haha.

So, to others with this issue... the fix is:

Go to your twitter client
go to the options and sign out of twitter
kill the twitter app
go to your contacts... yes the tweeple are still there.
go to options>more>manage accounts and delete your twitter account
...yes the tweeple are STILL in the contacts
go back to the twitter app
now login...and this time when it asks, say DO NOT SYNC.

and ta-da, it should have removed all the twitter contacts from the 'all contacts' list

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
To remove all of my facebook friends from my contact list I hit the menu button while in my contact list, then I selected "more" and then I selected "manage accounts" Then I clicked on the Facebook account and deleted it from "my accounts". This removed the facebook pictures for all of my regular phone contacts that use facebook, but it was worth it in that it removed all of my facebook friends who I don't have (or want) in my phone contact list.

Thank you, thank you!!!!! I was going nuts trying to figure out how to get all those people off my contact list.

DroidPDX

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my Droid X and found this thread...with no help

And then I figured out how to fix it on my own. Haha.

So, to others with this issue... the fix is:

Go to your twitter client
go to the options and sign out of twitter
kill the twitter app
go to your contacts... yes the tweeple are still there.
go to options>more>manage accounts and delete your twitter account
...yes the tweeple are STILL in the contacts
go back to the twitter app
now login...and this time when it asks, say DO NOT SYNC.

and ta-da, it should have removed all the twitter contacts from the 'all contacts' list

That didn't work for me. I tried it a number of ways.

btphelps

Reaction score
The steps described by WickedAwsome worked for me. One step you must be sure to complete is killing the backend process supporting Social Networking. To do this:

Choose Menu > Settings > Applications > Running Services.

Locate the Social Networking service. Locate the SocialWidgetProvider application and touch it to stop it.

Then proceed with the remaining steps.

Choose Menu > Settings > Accounts.

Select the Twitter account and delete it. Since I installed Seesmic's new v2 social app, I did not have to re-choose the Twitter app and select "do not re-sync." I simply removed the default social app supplied by Verizon which is pretty anemic anyway.

Once completed, check your contacts to verify that your Twitter contacts are no longer listed there.

Last edited:
OP
W

wildlifeanna

Reaction score
It's still not working for me!!!

As the person who started this thread, I'm sad to say that none of the above mentioned "fixes" have worked for me. I've tried the above mentioned recommendations as well as variations of these recommendations and still, the twitter contacts are in my "all contacts" list. When I remove my twitter account, the status page remains blank but the twitter names AND pictures still remain. It's a huge pain and I think it's so completely ridiculous that I have no control over who is listed in my contacts that I'm basically discouraging everyone I know from buying the Droid X.

asu1996

Reaction score
I have tried the above fixes as well and when I go to remove the twitter account from my accounts I get an error message that says, "Error Removing Account".."An error has occurred. Please try again".

I have tried force closing the social networking widget and then trying this same thing and I get the same error result. If I would have known this when I first set up the phone I would have never used the onboard twitter client. I have always used 3rd party apps. This is a really frustrating problem with the Droid X so far. I do not want to have to go to contacts and then go to the drop down everytime for phone contacts. Having 200 twitter contacts in my all contacts list is ridiculous. As if I am going to call Shaq or something, lol.